Thread: Stretching Guide and All Questions Regarding It

How long you can keep acrylic in really varies on the person.
    I wore acrylic plugs for 2 months and had no problems.
    I'd say if it itches you should switch them out.

As for 6mm being a pointless size, I disagree!
    That's my goal size and I think the jewelry gets really pretty at that size so it's worth it!
    The good thing about that size is that it will probably shrink back too.
    Current
    Ears: Left forward and standard helix, left tragus, left daith. Right rook, right double inner conch. 1g and 14g lobes.
    Face: Right nostril, septum, vertical labret.
    Other: Tongue, standard and inverse navel, left and right nipple.

Quote Originally Posted by Isnak View Post
    Just a few questions:

How long should acrylic be kept in? What are the warning signs that it's starting to go manky or affect you?

What are the tagua and crocodile wood plugs like in terms of quality and suitability? Should I stretch my ears a little over final size before sticking them in to loosen up or are saddle plugs easy to put in? I like the colour and they are in my goal final size which brings me to...

Is 6mm seen as pointlessly small? Or is it what you do with it?
    If your ears are irritated/itchy/etc it might be the acrylic. Some people never have any problems with it, others can't wear it at all. Depends on your body.

AFAIK neither of those woods are common for allergic reactions so you should be fine. Double flares, however, can be difficult to get in. One good point about wood is that you can sand down one side if you're confident enough to do so without ruining them, so if the flares do happen to be too big for your ears then you can make it a little easier ;D That might not be necessary though, but you may need to wait a few months at 6mm (assuming that's the size of the wood plugs) before trying them. Use lots of oil when you do put them in (also regularly oil them even when you're not wearing them for a while - jojoba oil is nice!) and remember that you're not meant to get wood plugs wet, so you'll have to take them out for showering/swimming.

And don't worry about whether or not 6mm is seen as 'too small' - if you like it, that's all that matters really. Most people here aren't gonna judge you on how big your ears are, heh.

Truth be told I already bought a pair of 6mm flared glass plugs just so I'd have something tangible to work up to in the meantime, even though I have a good 6+months of time before I'd start stretching. And yeah, the stuff you can stick in your ears is much cooler at 6mm and up, I've noticed.

I'm a moderately competent woodturner (sometimes), so I should be able to make my own plugs once I get a better idea of my requirements. Are food safe polishes/waxes etc okay for ears? Especially stuff like beeswax, it's one of my favourites for polishing.

Quote Originally Posted by valers26 View Post
    Kaen, what was healing like, anyscar tissue ?
    healing was a breeze, i have scar tissue obviously but because i started out at such a small size its really quite minimal, whether thats the same for everyone i dont know, ive also been using bio-oil everyday to massage my lobes and to coat my plugs since they healed, which helps dramatically ive found

also since switching to ebony when i reached 8mm, ive had ZERO ear cheese/smell - its just not an issue any more, its wonderful

i had very small lobes and before i started i thought i wouldn't be able to stretch far but since the scalpel/bio-oil and wood, ive realised my lobes are juicey, fat and healthy, i could possibly go upto and over an inch, if i so choose.
    Last edited by kaen; 02-01-2010 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Isnak View Post
    Truth be told I already bought a pair of 6mm flared glass plugs just so I'd have something tangible to work up to in the meantime, even though I have a good 6+months of time before I'd start stretching. And yeah, the stuff you can stick in your ears is much cooler at 6mm and up, I've noticed.

I'm a moderately competent woodturner (sometimes), so I should be able to make my own plugs once I get a better idea of my requirements. Are food safe polishes/waxes etc okay for ears? Especially stuff like beeswax, it's one of my favourites for polishing.
    Pretty sure a lot of the big companies use beeswax and/or jojoba oil - some market their plugs as vegan and I think they just use jojoba oil. I have no experience with actually making wood stuff though, so not sure what else people use! If you get the chance to join IAM there are a few forums for jewellery makers which might be helpful. There's also some interesting information here that might be helpful, especially towards the bottom when it talks about different wood behaviours and potential allergies.

Quote Originally Posted by I am iron man View Post
    Can't you just scalpel more?
    I'm thinking about sewing up my one lobe and starting fresh, it's alright at this size but I just can't get much bigger without it thinning, either that or a partial reconstruction to center it up some more, but I fear if that doesn't work I'll need more work creating more scar tissue which isn't exactly helping.
    Whats the procedure for sewing up a lobe?
    Is it just scalpelling the edges of the fistula away and stitching it together?
    hmm its pretty near the top of my ear, i just dont think theres enough to scapel tbh. Plus i dont want anymore scar tissue, i have a fair amount in this lobe already. Although next time i visit andy i may ask quentin, we always end up going there. ( i fit in a 20mm plug last night, so made over time and work its will be possible ?)

How much scar tissue did you develop form the first scapel ? It may thicken as you strech, or as you said before just massage downsize restrech etc
    lobes 20mm
    venoms 4mm
    2nd lobe 1.6mm
    nipples 1.6mm
    tragus 1.2mm
    navel 1.6mm
    septum 8mm
    conch 5 mm ( punched)

Quote Originally Posted by Maark View Post
    Val , if your hair were edible, world hunger wouldn't be an issue anymore. How much of there if its straightened? O_O

non procedit qui dubitat

Not too much really, there's a little around the edge and a small amount from the blowout but thats it really. The blowouts gone now btw, just a little residual scar tissue left from it haha
    Shaun

Scalpelled - Stretched - Pierced - Inked

Quote Originally Posted by kaen View Post
    healing was a breeze, i have scar tissue obviously but because i started out at such a small size its really quite minimal, whether thats the same for everyone i dont know, ive also been using bio-oil everyday to massage my lobes and to coat my plugs since they healed, which helps dramatically ive found

also since switching to ebony when i reached 8mm, ive had ZERO ear cheese/smell - its just not an issue any more, its wonderful

i had very small lobes and before i started i thought i wouldn't be able to stretch far but since the scalpel/bio-oil and wood, ive realised my lobes are juicey, fat and healthy, i could possibly go upto and over an inch, if i so choose.
    Ah that best kind of ears

good to hear they've healed up nicely, i found with wood and most nautral materials that i dont get any chessyness either. Plus both are quite sensitive to temp change, especially righty, so nautural stuff is good for me
    lobes 20mm
    venoms 4mm
    2nd lobe 1.6mm
    nipples 1.6mm
    tragus 1.2mm
    navel 1.6mm
    septum 8mm
    conch 5 mm ( punched)

Quote Originally Posted by Maark View Post
    Val , if your hair were edible, world hunger wouldn't be an issue anymore. How much of there if its straightened? O_O

non procedit qui dubitat

TBH, maybe I'm deluded here, but I had no scar tissue to start with before my scalpelling and from what I understand, the scalpel is so sharp as to not cause any further scar tissue so not sure why that would be your concern?

Scar tissue, again from what I understand, is caused by blunt force trauma (piercing guns etc) and poor stretching practices.

A needle blade that passes through your ear first time round doesn't cause any scar tissue, does it? Or does it?
    Got:
    3 x Microdermal Anchors vertically, back of neck.
    Left eyebrow 16ga
    Left nipple horizontal 14ga
    10mm lobes (Initial 5mm, scalpel to 10mm)
    3mm outer conch right ear
    3mm left tragus
    Central labret 14ga
    Right nostril x 2 18ga
    Rook (Left) 16ga
    Septum 8ga

See ya lata bitches:
    Vertical Helix Orbital (2 x 14ga)

Want:
    MORE MODS!

We’re. Meant. For. Something. More. Than. Living. Just. To. Put. Food. On. Our. Plates.
    I. Can’t. Help. But. Wonder. Why. Should. We.
    Par-ti-ci-pate?

I wouldn't think scalpelling would cause scar tissue because scalpelled lobes stretch so easily and scar tissue is really hard to stretch.
    My lobes have some scarring from piercing guns and bad reactions to jewelry and it's definitely slowed my stretching down a bit.
    I'm Lindsay.
    Piercings:
    Ears: Right conch, left conch, left double helix, 1/2" lobes.
    Other: Both nostrils, septum, VCH, navel
    RIP: Left eyebrow, right double tragus
    7 tattoos!