Thread: Questions for after I get my Helix pierced :))

Question Questions for after I get my Helix pierced :))

**everything bolded is what i want answered/discussed to get an idea about **

Hey, I am getting my helix pierced soon and i was thinking of trying the LITHA method, which i think means to only use the saline spray + shower rinses (no q tips, no "stupid" at home remedies like green tea bags) .

Because I got my tragus pierced almost a couple years ago and i know i irritated a lot which is why the healing process has been heavily delayed (eg, i used q tips too often and SSS both which would instantly cause my piercing bump to get more red. i also tried things like tea tree oil on the irritation bump to "dry it out", crushed anti-inflammatory tablets, green tea bags etc etc).
    And also i'll make sure i get surgical steel or titanium this time as i now know i have an allergy to the jewellery like what i got for my tragus.

I have done a lot of research recently - and for my new piercing, i was thinking of spraying it with the saline spray (that i'll get from the piercing shop) and spray it twice a day. But with that, i was wondering if whether it is ok to spray it on there and just let it air dry (i have heard this is better then also using the q tips around the piercing to clean it (with the saline spray))
    Or if i have to "dry" it, i've heard i can use paper towels as it is better?. Can just spraying it on there and letting it air dry be too drying to the piercing? Or is it okay?. Oh and then to also "clean" it i'll rinse it in the shower - as i've heard if you ever see "crusties", it is best to just leave iy on the piercing until you rinse it off in the shower, because trying to take the crusties of whilst it's dry can cause a lot of irritation (i did this with my tragus and my tragus piercing looks better when i don't touch it with q tips to remove crusties etc etc)

And with the LITHA Method, when i spray the saline spray on the piercing and doing shower rinses, do i not need to move the jewellery around (back and forth) as that can cause irritation - basically do i literally leave it the hell alone and just let it be.

And how long should i use the saline spray? i was thinking the initial first stage of the healing period which i think is around 6-8 weeks (please correct me if i'm wrong because i wanna know ahaha), and then after that time period only "clean" it in the shower with the water rinses and that's it.

Also, what do you think about only cleaning the piercing with rinses in the shower? is that enough to get rid of bacteria etc, or is saline spray needed to heal it, especially in the first stages of the initial healing process? i have even seen in this forum that people swear by only doing shower rinses instead of doing saline spray etc.

Sorry for all that.. it's because this time around i really wanna correct everything i did wrong with my first piercing and be extra careful to not get the dreaded irritation bumps again by doing unnecessary things to my piercing.
    Last edited by jasonk1102; 11-11-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonk1102 View Post
    **everything bolded is what i want answered/discussed to get an idea about **

Hey, I am getting my helix pierced soon and i was thinking of trying the LITHA method, which i think means to only use the saline spray + shower rinses (no q tips, no "stupid" at home remedies like green tea bags) .

Because I got my tragus pierced almost a couple years ago and i know i irritated a lot which is why the healing process has been heavily delayed (eg, i used q tips too often and SSS both which would instantly cause my piercing bump to get more red. i also tried things like tea tree oil on the irritation bump to "dry it out", crushed anti-inflammatory tablets, green tea bags etc etc).
    And also i'll make sure i get surgical steel or titanium this time as i now know i have an allergy to the jewellery like what i got for my tragus.

**I would only go for highly polished titanium or implant grade titanium. Surgical steel is not good.**

I have done a lot of research recently - and for my new piercing, i was thinking of spraying it with the saline spray (that i'll get from the piercing shop) and spray it twice a day. But with that, i was wondering if whether it is ok to spray it on there and just let it air dry (i have heard this is better then also using the q tips around the piercing to clean it (with the saline spray))
    Or if i have to "dry" it, i've heard i can use paper towels as it is better?. Can just spraying it on there and letting it air dry be too drying to the piercing? Or is it okay?. Oh and then to also "clean" it i'll rinse it in the shower - as i've heard if you ever see "crusties", it is best to just leave iy on the piercing until you rinse it off in the shower, because trying to take the crusties of whilst it's dry can cause a lot of irritation (i did this with my tragus and my tragus piercing looks better when i don't touch it with q tips to remove crusties etc etc)

**I only use Sea Salt Soaks for a little while as my body hates them. I used to use a certain spray but, found out it has a nasty ingredient! Warm shower rinses are brilliant. I would only really clean a piercing everyday twice a day until about 6 weeks max. You need to soak crusties off else you will make things worse - do not pick etc...**

And with the LITHA Method, when i spray the saline spray on the piercing and doing shower rinses, do i not need to move the jewellery around (back and forth) as that can cause irritation - basically do i literally leave it the hell alone and just let it be.

**Do not move jewellery back and forth or twist it. I use the hairdryer to dry my piercings when I come out of the shower. I sometimes air dry but, I don't think you are supposed to. The more you leave alone the better.**

And how long should i use the saline spray? i was thinking the initial first stage of the healing period which i think is around 6-8 weeks (please correct me if i'm wrong because i wanna know ahaha), and then after that time period only "clean" it in the shower with the water rinses and that's it.

***I only use salt products for a little while and it isn't longer than 6 weeks - only if I have got a problem with it if at all as my body hates salt. It can make my ears really sore.***

Also, what do you think about only cleaning the piercing with rinses in the shower? is that enough to get rid of bacteria etc, or is saline spray needed to heal it, especially in the first stages of the initial healing process? i have even seen in this forum that people swear by only doing shower rinses instead of doing saline spray etc.

**Like you mention some people don't bother with salt/saline etc..**

Sorry for all that.. it's because this time around i really wanna correct everything i did wrong with my first piercing and be extra careful to not get the dreaded irritation bumps again by doing unnecessary things to my piercing.
    **You can sometimes get bumps even if you are careful.**

**Sorry I replied within in your quotes but, this is easier for me! Piercings are best left alone. I am one that doesn't sometimes! And I will pay for it! Happy Healing!**
    Last edited by Mazzy; 11-24-2020 at 07:28 PM.
    Left side - Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, Helix, Rook, Lower Conch.

Right side -Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, "Paw" print piercing on the flat of my ear, Tragus, Nostril, Helix and Eyebrow. "Shen Men" piercing, Triple Forward Helix.

Retired - Right Eyebrow's x2. Left Double Tragus - sadly! :(

Quite a few Tattoo's.