Thread: Tongue piercing healing or just plain old damage?

Default Tongue piercing healing or just plain old damage?

First off, I got my tongue pierced about 5 months ago.
    I went to a reputable shop. However when i went there they forgot that I was scheduled so the owner was like I got this. He brought me inside and got me ready. The piercing itself did not hurt and it was done and I left to go home.

The first week it was fine. Then the second week I guess I had an allergic reaction to the metal because my whole tongue started to burn. So I went to the doctors to make sure it wasn't infected before I took it out. It was fine so I took it out.

I actually went to an ap certified piercing place to get a second opinion on my tongue and the person said it was at a little bit of an angle it shouldn't be too bad to heal back up.

So it's been about 5 months since I've has it pierced and took it out. The hole has closed up just fine

I am about 35 years old and I'm not sure if my age is causing a longer healing time.. but my tongue used to be numb in the pierced area but feeling has returned... but it's now a burny feeling (like when you have too many sour candies). At least only in the spot it was pierced as opposed to my whole tongue. This is super not pleasant and I went to doctors and piercers and they said it wasn't pierced in an area where any nerves would have been damaged so they dont know why that area of my tongue is still sensitive. Ugh but it's been 5 months now :(

I regret getting it done and now I'm worried my tongue will forever feel this strange way.

Has anyone dealt with strange feelings of thier tongue piercing this far out? Have I damaged my tongue permanently.

Halp
    Last edited by Thisisme1234; 07-07-2020 at 10:12 PM.

Hi Thisisme1234. Welcome to the forum. I haven't had my tongue pierced and I am not an expert. Last night I had a quick look online and it may suggest an allergy again. Do you know what the jewellery is made from? As even if it is Titanium there are different grades to that too. I never knew this until I became a member on here. I'm not sure if it is an age thing as I am still having piercings and I am older than you lol... Can anyone else help more please?
    Last edited by Mazzy; 07-08-2020 at 08:27 AM.
    Left side - Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, Helix, Rook, Lower Conch.

Right side -Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, "Paw" print piercing on the flat of my ear, Tragus, Nostril, Helix and Eyebrow. "Shen Men" piercing, Triple Forward Helix.

Retired - Right Eyebrow's x2. Left Double Tragus - sadly! :(

Quite a few Tattoo's.

I've had a number of tongue piercings and never had this or heard of it.

I would have thought had it been an allergy thing, it would have gone quickly after removing.

Are you fussing with it quite a lot? Perhaps mouthwash or saline or something? Or just rubbing it on the roof of your mouth or teeth?
    I'd definitely suggest trying to leave it alone as much as possible.

Also, not sure if you smoke but that won't help. Probably avoid spicy foods and alcohol or anything else you think might be inhibiting full healing.
    Got: double snakebites|central lip|labret|1.6mm and 5mm tongue|philtrum|angel bites|smiley|septum|3 pairs nostrils|3 pairs eyebrows|bridge|15 & 16 (l&r) lobe/cartilage, rook, 2x tragus, 3x forward helix, conch (both ears symmetrical)|3x navel (74 holes in total)Want: Everything, slowly building up my piercings over time.Next up: venoms; maybe something genital

Opps! Thank you -yv-! Stupid me read it wrong. I thought Thisisme1234 had it re-pierced. It would not be an allergy if it is not in now. Do you think a Dentist maybe able to help? As I have had problems in my mouth not tooth related in the past and they have sorted the problem out. Could you could e-mail one for advice?
    Left side - Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, Helix, Rook, Lower Conch.

Right side -Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, "Paw" print piercing on the flat of my ear, Tragus, Nostril, Helix and Eyebrow. "Shen Men" piercing, Triple Forward Helix.

Retired - Right Eyebrow's x2. Left Double Tragus - sadly! :(

Quite a few Tattoo's.

Yes, a dentist may be a good idea - mine isn't all about teeth, they are about all oral health
    Got: double snakebites|central lip|labret|1.6mm and 5mm tongue|philtrum|angel bites|smiley|septum|3 pairs nostrils|3 pairs eyebrows|bridge|15 & 16 (l&r) lobe/cartilage, rook, 2x tragus, 3x forward helix, conch (both ears symmetrical)|3x navel (74 holes in total)Want: Everything, slowly building up my piercings over time.Next up: venoms; maybe something genital