Thread: Could this be a keloid scar or irritation bump?

Angry Could this be a keloid scar or irritation bump?

hello. I had my bridge pierced roughly 3 months ago and I have developed what looks like could Be an irritation bump or a keloid scar around the one side of my piercing hole. Iím worried now more than ever since I canít contact my piercer due to all the stores being closed. As far as Iím aware, I have good jewellery in, however the bar does look like itís getting too long now that the swelling has gone down. The bump has been visible for quite some time as I did bump it a bit when it was first done, but recently it looks so angry and quite noticeable to the point where I just wanna take the piercing out but Iím scared that may cause more problems. Iím not sure how to upload an image but it does look more like than irritation bump than a keloid (from pictures Iíve seen) but surfing google images isnít exactly reliable or calming me down lol. I clean it every day with sea salt and warm water but yesterday I applied some tea tree oil and did the dumb thing of scraping off the top layer of the bump! Probably irritated it more,dumb idea I know, it did become more noticeable after that. Any advice would be great as Iím genuinely really worried, Iím worried of taking it out and Iím worried of it being a keloid. Thank you for any help itís greatly appreciated!

W1IHMqj.jpg

heres an image of how it was looking last night!
    Last edited by FiL; 05-12-2020 at 03:47 PM.

Hi Jharee It is an irritation bump! The best thing you can do it LTHA. (Leave the hell alone)! I have had quite a few of these on many piercings. In time they do go away but, they take ages. Shower rinse is best. Tea tree is not a good thing to use. I don't think you really need to still clean it everyday now with sea salt as it is three months old (just shower rinse now-a-days!) - it maybe over cleaning it that is irritating it now. (I have over cleaned myself in the past).

If you really need to take it out there is nothing stopping you as my double Tragus had to go in the end. But, there is still time for your piercing to heal. Time is still young!
    Last edited by Mazzy; 05-12-2020 at 12:14 PM.
    Left side - Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, Helix, Rook, Lower Conch.

Right side -Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, "Paw" print piercing on the flat of my ear, Tragus, Nostril, Helix and Eyebrow. "Shen Men" piercing, Triple Forward Helix.

Retired - Right Eyebrow's x2. Left Double Tragus - sadly! :(

Quite a few Tattoo's.

Thank you so much for your reply I really appreciate it! I was so worried just in case it was a keloid haha. I was cleaning it regularly since having it done so I’m starting to think you’re right about over cleaning, I’ll keep it in and not bother it so I’ll see how that goes!! Fingers crossed it goes away eventually!!

No problem at all Jharee. It isn't a Keloid so please don't worry. I have seen what they look like on Tv. Keloids look much worse. Yes, cut down on your cleaning. And let the shower clean it now. But, if it gets really crusty you may have to still soak the crust off somehow. It has taken me years to work out with piercings less is more! (They are really funny things). Your bump will go in the end. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
    Last edited by Mazzy; 05-13-2020 at 09:34 AM.

Right side -Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, "Paw" print piercing on the flat of my ear, Tragus, Nostril, Helix and Eyebrow. "Shen Men" piercing, Triple Forward Helix.

Quite a few Tattoo's.

Is the bar you have got in now what you were originally pierced with? Have you still got quite a bit of space there like in the photo? I am just *wondering* if you may need a slightly smaller bar now? Can anyone else advise on here a bit more please? (I am not a total expert). Perhaps it maybe best to see your piercer when they re-open.

Quite a few Tattoo's.

Hi Mazzy! Yes this is the same bar I was pierced with, now that the swelling has gone down the bar is definitely a bit longer. As soon as my piercer is open I’ll see what they recommend! Thank you for your advice and help I appreciate it a lot!!!

No problem at all Jharee. How are you getting on now?

Quite a few Tattoo's.