Thread: Continuously problematic nose piercing

Question Continuously problematic nose piercing

I got a nostril piercing a few months ago (4 or so). I went with a ring and the piercer said there wouldn't be much issue with it if im careful not to move it around too much. Obviously it was a bad choice, it got pretty injured during sleep, putting clothes on etc. After a few weeks of getting it done i developed a pimple looking growth right next to it, piercer said it was an irritation bump but just in case first told me to use an antibiotic cream for a few days and go back to get checked. Got checked, she told me to stop using that cream and told me to use hydrocortisone based cream for a bit and go back. Thing is i was busy and dumb as shit and overused the hydrocortisone cream and the issue seemed to be going down so i never went until a few weeks ago the pimple came back much larger and filled with either pus or lymph fluid. I went to the piercer she cleaned it up and drained it. She said there's no need to change the jewellery because it seemed the problem was localised and there was no issue with the piercing itself. She told me to leave it alone and not put anything to it. But since the draining it got better for a bit but swell up again and i wasn't in town and there are no good piercers where i was so i went to a pretty expensive dermatologist who did pretty much the same thing the piercer did and drained it but took loads of money for it. Anywho i told the piercer i want to try changing it to a stud and will go do that tomorrow. Thing is i don't additionally want to pay for new jewlery if it's gonna stay the same. She only has surgical steel piercings but i don't think i'm allergic (i have other surgical steel piercings).

So what is the smartest thing to do? I can't go to another piercer because my country 1. doesn't have any app studios 2. the studio i go to is the oldest running and i don't wanna go to the new ones
    Should i just tell her to take it out completely? Should i go with a free option and let her put in a bioplast retainer, or should i get a surgical steel stud?

Surgical steel should never be used in new piercings, especially fresh ones. You have two options if you have no good piercers near you. Take it out or buy a implant grade titanium/steel jewellery for it.

Edit: I've been pulled up for saying the above and I understand it as this forum is connected to a shop that sells jewellery and I'm an admin. To clarify, "surgical steel" alone doesn't mean anything and often it is misused and misunderstood. It is commonly used in non-EU countries for initial piercing jewellery. However, at that point only ASTM-F138 316LVM steel should be used. If someone tells you they're using "surgical steel" ask to see the mill certificate to ensure it's ASTM-F138 316LVM. If it's not, then it shouldn't be going into your body, especially in a fresh or healing or irritated piercing as it is not implant grade. There's also the matter of quality and mirror finish but many people don't bother much with that which is a shame as it can lead to prolonged healing.

However, all of the above is my personal preference and if someone asks what metal material they should have in holes in their body my answer will always be "implant grade mirror finish". It will never be anything else and no one will ever change my mind. Many see this as being a "jewellery snob" I see it as giving a sh*t about my body, after all, implant grade, high quality steel is crazy cheap. However, I would not and do not ever look down on anyone who chooses a different material. We're all different and have different opinions and I choose to share mine when aksed.

A bit more info on it here that also covers the EU nickel directive that states no one in the EU can use "surgical steel" for initial piercings: amatopiercing.com/2018/01/06/implant-grade-vs-surgical-steel/
    Last edited by Boo; 02-14-2020 at 01:50 PM.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<