Thread: Changing original piercing gauge

Default Changing original piercing gauge

I had two conch and a tragus piercing done about 10 months ago. They’re fully healed. They were pierced with a 16 gauge meddle. I recently ordered some pieces from Maria Tash and my piercer changed them all. I realized a week after that the new jewelry and pretty much all of Maria Tash pieces are gauge 19 by default unless you request a different gauge. I contacted them and they are sending me new posts gauge 16. My question is, should I expect any pain or set back from healing when changing the jewelry once again? It’s been almost two weeks and even thought they were pierced with the right gauge, they have been with a much smaller gauge for two weeks. Would you just leave them alone?

I'd suggest going to a piercer and seeing if they will put the 16g jewellery in, it may be uncomfortable initially or it may be fine, they can use a taper to see how it goes. Every body reacts differently to this kind of thing so it's virtually impossible to know how it will be for you. Strange of Tash stuff to be 19g, I'm guessing that's like 0.9mm? Never heard of it used in the industry! It's best not to leave them in as that's way way too thin for the piercings you have.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    I'd suggest going to a piercer and seeing if they will put the 16g jewellery in, it may be uncomfortable initially or it may be fine, they can use a taper to see how it goes. Every body reacts differently to this kind of thing so it's virtually impossible to know how it will be for you. Strange of Tash stuff to be 19g, I'm guessing that's like 0.9mm? Never heard of it used in the industry! It's best not to leave them in as that's way way too thin for the piercings you have.
    UPDATE: I went back to my piercer and he placed new 16 gauge posts on my conch piercings. As far as my tragus, we decided to keep it at size 19 since he likes to pierce tragus with a gauge 18 and there’s no much difference between those two. Thanks for the advise.

Keep your eye on that tragus as that's way too thin and could cause irritation/migration.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    Keep your eye on that tragus as that's way too thin and could cause irritation/migration.
    I will, I have been reading about the cheese cutter effect and look at my piercing every day. It’s fully healed now but I still worry a bit. Thanks again!