Thread: Tragus piercing swollen and painful

Default Tragus piercing swollen and painful

Hi, I had my tragus pierced a week ago and it was fine for the first 4 days but then became swollen and painful overnight. Im using tea tree oil and salt water twice a day but it's still sore and throbbing, a bit red but not too angry looking but there does seem to be some pus coming from it. I have antibiotics for it but I dont know whether I should be taking the jewellery out or leaving it in, I've found a lot of conflicting advice so I was hoping someone could help me here please.

Hi Sunshineray7 Sorry, to hear this. I really don't know about Tea tree oil as I am not keen on it myself. That is good you have got some anti-biotics. I always was to believe that you should keep the jewellery in as it is draining out the infection. If you took it out it may lead to an abscess as there will be no where for the pus to drain out. Have you got enough room on the bar and what jewellery was it pierced with? Could anyone advise a bit better than me please?
    Left side - Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, Helix, Rook, Lower Conch and Double Tragus (sadly the bottom one has migrated).

Right side -Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, "Paw" print piercing on the flat of my ear, Tragus, Nostril, Helix and Eyebrow. "Shen Men" piercing, Triple Forward Helix.

Retired - Right Eyebrow's x2.

Quite a few Tattoo's.

Thanks for your response. It was pierced with a titanium labret. There's a tiny bit of room but not much. I can't get to the piercing studio this week either because I'm working nights all week. I don't really want to take it out but I dont want to keep it in if it's dangerous to do so either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshineray7 View Post
    Thanks for your response. It was pierced with a titanium labret. There's a tiny bit of room but not much. I can't get to the piercing studio this week either because I'm working nights all week. I don't really want to take it out but I dont want to keep it in if it's dangerous to do so either.
    No problem at all Sunshineray7. It is not dangerous to keep your jewellery in. Only if there is no space left at all and your post is being “eaten”. Taking it out with an infection would be worse. It could heal up and trap the infection within it then could cause an abscess. I am wondering if you need a longer labret post. I have had this done many times. It will let the air in behind it more to heal it.

If you didn’t want the piercing anymore only remove it when the infection has totally gone.
    Last edited by Mazzy; 12-10-2019 at 05:19 PM.
    Left side - Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, Helix, Rook, Lower Conch and Double Tragus (sadly the bottom one has migrated).

Right side -Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, "Paw" print piercing on the flat of my ear, Tragus, Nostril, Helix and Eyebrow. "Shen Men" piercing, Triple Forward Helix.

Retired - Right Eyebrow's x2.

Quite a few Tattoo's.

Swelling and pain is normal for a new piercing and it can sometimes take a few days to start. Do not use tea tree oil whatsoever. Are you sure it was really infected? Signs of infection are extreme pain, excessive swelling, excessive redness, deep aching/throbbing, the area being hot to the touch, oozing smelly dark gree or brown pus, bleeding and generally feeling unwell. Some pain, swelling and oozing of clear/light yellow fluid (lymph) is totally normal.

Aftercare: warm and cold compresses. Warmth will help any lymph come out. Cold will ease swelling. Rinse in the shower. Don't touch it, don't sleep on it. Take anti inflammatories for the pain/swelling if you're able to. Don't put anything on it, no lotions or potions unless they are specifically designed for piercings and seem to be helping.

Keep a close eye on it, if the front and/or back seem to be getting embedded and you absolutely cannot see a piercer at all then you'll have to remove it or get someone else to remove it. There is a miniscule risk of something becoming "trapped" but it's very unlikely and not really heard of in these cases with new piercings. Most of the time it isn't a genuine infection anyway. In 10years of being on this forum and having a LOT of modded friends and piercer friends I've only ever seen one person get a genuine, full blown infection from a piercing. It was hideously swollen, very red looking, hot to touch and excuiatingly painful for the owner. Many doctors can't tell the difference between irritation and infection with piercings and simply prescribe anti-biotics to be "safe".
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    Swelling and pain is normal for a new piercing and it can sometimes take a few days to start. Do not use tea tree oil whatsoever. Are you sure it was really infected? Signs of infection are extreme pain, excessive swelling, excessive redness, deep aching/throbbing, the area being hot to the touch, oozing smelly dark gree or brown pus, bleeding and generally feeling unwell. Some pain, swelling and oozing of clear/light yellow fluid (lymph) is totally normal.

Aftercare: warm and cold compresses. Warmth will help any lymph come out. Cold will ease swelling. Rinse in the shower. Don't touch it, don't sleep on it. Take anti inflammatories for the pain/swelling if you're able to. Don't put anything on it, no lotions or potions unless they are specifically designed for piercings and seem to be helping.

Keep a close eye on it, if the front and/or back seem to be getting embedded and you absolutely cannot see a piercer at all then you'll have to remove it or get someone else to remove it. There is a miniscule risk of something becoming "trapped" but it's very unlikely and not really heard of in these cases with new piercings. Most of the time it isn't a genuine infection anyway. In 10years of being on this forum and having a LOT of modded friends and piercer friends I've only ever seen one person get a genuine, full blown infection from a piercing. It was hideously swollen, very red looking, hot to touch and excuiatingly painful for the owner. Many doctors can't tell the difference between irritation and infection with piercings and simply prescribe anti-biotics to be "safe".
    Thanks so much for your advise. Its intermittently painful and throbbing. Theres yellow fluid coming out but it's not smelly. The bar is definitely not embedded but theres not much room left either. I've been just soaking it in the shower and using salt water hot compresses to try and get the fluid to come out. I dont mind a bit of pain but I cant touch it without it throbbing intensely afterwards. I want to keep it but dont want to be silly about it. I'm not very experienced with piercings.

Thanks for your advice, it's really appreciated. It's very throbby but only intermittently. Theres yellow fluid coming out, which I assumed was pus but it's not smelly. It also feels a bit hot but again, intermittently. I dont mind a bit of pain but I don't want to be silly and keep the jewellery in of it's not the best thing to do. It's very sore to touch when cleaning so I'm trying to just bathe it in the shower.

There's no harm leaving it in as long as it's not embedding. It would be wise in future to know you can get to a piercer again when you get a piercing just in case something happens. I know it's not easy if you don't live near one etc.

What aftercare advice did your piercer give you? Did they tell you what to do if you had any problems if you can't physically come back in?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

There's no harm leaving it in as long as it's not embedding. It would be wise in future to know you can get to a piercer again when you get a piercing just in case something happens. I know it's not easy if you don't live near one etc.

What aftercare advice did your piercer give you? Did they tell you what to do if you had any problems if you can't physically come back in?
    They gave teatree oil and rock salt and said to bathe twice daily, first with teatree and then with the salt water. I've been doing exactly that. I'm a veterinary nurse so I am well aware of aftercare of wounds etc. Thanks so much for your advice. The piercing place I had it dont is quite far away from where I live so I can't get back there until next week. They said to message or call which I've done but they just said to go to the Dr.

Find a new piercer. No wound, whether standard or a piercing should ever ever have neat tea tree oil put onto it! Do you live in the US or UK? If so, find a UKAPP or APP registered piercer asap.