Thread: Helix Piercing with a hoop, or stud? many questions :)))

Question Helix Piercing with a hoop, or stud? many questions :)))

Hey, i am really considering getting my helix pierced, but am unsure if its ok to get it done with a hoop? I have heard mixed opinions on whether having a hoop is good or not. i have a few points down below and would like to have answered
    1. i have heard that having a hoop may not give enough breathing room and won't allow for swelling (swelling will cause it to cover the hoop, idkkk)
    2. where as a stud with a good size length labreth, will help with swelling.
    3. is it true that a stud will move back and forth and also catch on clothing, where as a hoop will roughly stay put
    4. will a hoop delay the healing process?
    5. have heard that having a hoop and if it swells, it will cause the top part of your ear to protrude more since its swollen
    6. would it be best to pierce with a hoop (if that's what you want rather than a stud) because it will be pierced at a good angle since its being pierced with jewelry you want and you won't irritate it after the healing process by changing the jewellery **If that makes sense*
    7. if i get it pierced and i am told to take it out, what could happen since it hadn't fully healed yet. would the hole just close with no problem? will there be any pus, would it scar etc etc.

Btw was considering a thin hoop if anyone was wondering, not sure if that is any different then having a thicker one
    SOOOOO SORRY for all that, i am new to piercings and also haven't found information on google that gives answers im looking for
    Last edited by jasonk1102; 09-23-2019 at 03:00 PM.

Hi Jason,

You could get either as initial jewellery but I would recommend a bar.
    I think bars are better for swelling and generally easier to heal as a bar stays in position whereas a ring tends to move around more
    You are more likely to catch a bar than a hoop which doesn't help healing so you have to be more careful.
    If you want to wear a hoop later then you could get a curved bar as initial jewellery
    If you take it out then the hole should close up with no problem, it may leave a small mark but unlikely anything noticeable. There should not be any pus (that's a sign of infection) but it will scab and have dried plasma/lymph just as it will while healing with jewellery - this is normal.

As for jewellery thickness (gauge) - it is usual to have either 1.2mm or 1.6mm. Either will be fine, unlikely you would be able to get any thinner anyway.
    Got: double snakebites|central lip|labret|1.6mm and 5mm tongue|philtrum|angel bites|smiley|septum|3 pairs nostrils|3 pairs eyebrows|bridge|15 & 16 (l&r) lobe/cartilage, rook, 2x tragus, 3x forward helix, conch (both ears symmetrical)|3x navel (74 holes in total)Want: Everything, slowly building up my piercings over time.Next up: venoms; maybe something genital

would being pierced with a 22g be too thin (if possible) i like the look of the thin black hoops, rather then the thick ones.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonk1102 View Post
    would being pierced with a 22g be too thin (if possible) i like the look of the thin black hoops, rather then the thick ones.
    Yes, way too thin, you want 16g no less.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

ok thanks so much Boo. just curious though, if itís too thin, what could happen? is there any problems that could occur if being pierced with it. thank you though

Have a look at seamless hoops. Thatís what I have in my helix. Theyíre 16 gauge but look quite slim. I have black ones bought from here.

I waited a year to put them in though. Studs first.

ok thanks so much Boo. just curious though, if it’s too thin, what could happen? is there any problems that could occur if being pierced with it. thank you though
    It increases the risk of migration, also known as the "cheesewire" effect.

Get it pierced with an implant grade labret, then once it's very very well healed you can wear cheaper black coated jewellery but be aware it may cause irritation as the coating will inevitably wear/flake off into the piercing which really isn't ideal. Maybe consider going for a dark purple anodised titanium ring.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<