Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Being an artist’s model

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fi View Post
    It would be good to get to speak to a model whilst I'm there too, but don't know if that's possible?
    So far, in my limited experience, I have had a chance to chat with the artists. Probably easier at the half way tea break when I have put my robe on and wandered around looking at the art with my cup of tea and phone. Some artists have been a bit awkward (when they’ve not been very good) and others are happy to show me their work.

So that’s probably the best time for you to chat with a model. After the session has finished the normal thing is for the model to go and get dressed and the artists admire each other’s work and drift away

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by mat; 07-15-2019 at 11:30 PM.
    Piercings: navel, PA
    Retired piercings: nipples, septum, tongue web

I was a little cautious of modelling for this life drawing group. It meets in a wine bar and is run by someone I like, but don’t know very well. The venue was the back room and admission was by ticket only (this prevented anyone peeping). It was a bit cramped, dingy, dark and low keyed. On a good evening I’d say it was atmospheric but for this evening, being nude in front of a group of strangers, was a little risky.

On the whole it went well. A few tricky moments were:

• Getting hiccups during a 30 minute pose
    • A fly was buzzing around me for a few minutes. At one point it landed on my leg. Next it flew to my face, by my eye. So I had to break the pose and flick it away. Thankfully nobody minded
    • I got pins & needles in my hands in a 30 minute pose
    • Two artists were very close to me and I felt as if they were in my “bubble”. I seemed to forget about that after a while, so that was okay.

The format was similar to other life groups. I started off with some short ‘action’ poses as if I was running or throwing something and then held the pose for a few minutes. The idea is for the artists to get warmed up and the organiser encouraged them to be free, loose with their quick drawing and to try using their non-dominant hand. Interesting results!

Next were three or four 10 minute poses, each standing and slightly more relaxed. Although I now find it easy to keep still, one pose wasn’t right and it was very uncomfortable for me to keep completely still - I had been leaning with most of my weight on one leg.

The break came where I quickly slipped my tee shirt and shorts back on and looked around at some of the work. Some was very good and others were just “starting out”. The two artists who were very close had picked out my navel ring (which I secretly really liked!).

Next were two 30 minute poses, one sitting and one lying down. These went quite quickly and with both my mind wandered off as I mulled over different things with the quaint music playing in the background.

Occasionally I would hear some scribbling, or the turning over of sheets of paper and I tried to imagine what I would look like from different angles, whether my body, arms and legs were making some interesting shapes and if the lighting was picking out muscles, bones and tendons.

So again a successful time modelling. A feeling of liberation, confidence and contentment with my body. I didn’t feel quite so elated this time, perhaps I’m getting used to this nude modelling lark.

This is the last time I will post an account of modelling (I don’t want it to become tedious for you all) but happy to chat. I have posted a couple of photos in my profile area to help picture the scene, although they are each from to different modelling sessions.

Again I am the most unlikely person to do this. I was pleased when I was first asked to do this and although hesitant because of being shy and having some piercings, I have really enjoyed it. I have found confidence levels I never knew of. I can be there, completely nude and very calm and reassured in front of a bunch of complete strangers. Being part of the art process is also a nice thing to do.

Nobody sniggers or laughs, everyone is courteous and serious about their art and respectful of me as a model. All in all a good experience and one that I would really recommend if anyone is vaguely interested. Ping me a direct message if that would help.
    Last edited by mat; 07-26-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks for the interesting insight into this.

Do you think this would be good for someone with body image issues to do?
    Got: double snakebites|central lip|labret|1.6mm and 5mm tongue|philtrum|angel bites|smiley|septum|3 pairs nostrils|3 pairs eyebrows|bridge|15 & 16 (l&r) lobe/cartilage, rook, 2x tragus, 3x forward helix, conch (both ears symmetrical)|3x navel (74 holes in total)Want: Everything, slowly building up my piercings over time.Next up: venoms; maybe something genital

Yv, thanks for the interesting question. The nice thing about this kind of modelling is that you don’t need a perfect body. Heavy, slim, male, female, old or young are all good providing they can stay still and have the confidence to pull it off. Although I’m quite average in my appearance, the best and more interesting drawings I’ve seen are of people with imperfections, wrinkles etc.

Does this help?

Thanks Mat,

Interesting choice of words "perfect body"
    I am close to someone who doesn't have the "fashion designer's idea of a perfect body" - like most of the population. She's perfect in my eyes but of course won't believe it.

So, my question was more - if she got naked in front of strangers and saw good art featuring her would that help boost self-confidence particularly about her body?
    And of course, this would apply to many many others.
    Got: double snakebites|central lip|labret|1.6mm and 5mm tongue|philtrum|angel bites|smiley|septum|3 pairs nostrils|3 pairs eyebrows|bridge|15 & 16 (l&r) lobe/cartilage, rook, 2x tragus, 3x forward helix, conch (both ears symmetrical)|3x navel (74 holes in total)Want: Everything, slowly building up my piercings over time.Next up: venoms; maybe something genital

Not sure Yv, sorry.

The art produced might be awful, some might be quite good and a few might be truly excellent. You might only get a glimpse of some. You can’t depend on it being flattering at all, often it won’t be. As a model I haven’t seen all the work at all, I think some artists who aren’t very good have tried to hide their work from me! But then I don’t mind or care whether it makes me look good or not.

Generally artists will be trying to convey their interpretation and understanding of how the human body fits together, not producing a nice portrait to hang on a wall. Just google ‘life drawing’ and you’ll see the kind of work people do.

I think the self confidence comes from being part of the art process and being a good model is important to the artists. I certainly have had my own confidence boosted and feel good about myself. Although I was shy before, I wouldn’t say I had any body image issues myself.

Everyone in an art group or class should be taking it seriously and the life drawing group organiser should be inspiring and nurturing the artists in their work. From my own limited experience, getting the etiquette right is vital, especially for the protection of the model. It isn’t erotic or sexual in any way, or it shouldn’t be. I’d walk out if there was any suggestion like that. Models should be treated with the utmost respect.

To answer your question, sorry but I have my doubts and can’t really be sure one way or the other. I know this is vague and indecisive but I hope it might help, just a little?

Thanks Mat - most interesting.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345