Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is this on my piercing?

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    It's a very common bump often caused by irritation but they can just happen anyway.

Contact your piercer, ask what metal the jewellery is.

Stop putting things on it.

Leave it alone.
    This.
    Got: double snakebites|central lip|labret|1.6mm and 5mm tongue|philtrum|angel bites|smiley|septum|3 pairs nostrils|3 pairs eyebrows|bridge|15 & 16 (l&r) lobe/cartilage, rook, 2x tragus, 3x forward helix, conch (both ears symmetrical)|3x navel (74 holes in total)Want: Everything, slowly building up my piercings over time.Next up: venoms; maybe something genital

Hi Jasonk1102,
    You've had some good advice from the all of the above especially about leaving it alone and stop putting products on it so it's good to hear it has settled a little bit.
    Firstly, bumps in cartilage piercings are common and usually go but it can take some time and patience. Leaving it alone will help prevent trauma and irritation.

Secondly, it is bad that your piercer can't be more precise about what jewellery they fitted you with but at least they gave you some idea. In your photo it looks black and so it is likely to be black (PVD coated) steel or Bioplastic. Personally I would want to get it changed out by an APP/UKAPP registered piercer with some implant grade mirror finished Titanium jewellery until fully healed which can take a year or longer for cartilage. Surgical stainless steel can contain traces of nickel which can cause irritation even if it is PVD coated.
    Do you know what Bioplastic actually is?.... Nor do we. The only plastic I have used successfully is PTFE and only for short periods of time for medical procedures.

Obviously if you are happy that things are fine then just leave it and monitor how things are going.

Happy healing!
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings:
    Left Ear: 0g (8mm) & 2g (6mm) tunnels in lobe
    Right Ear: 10g (2.4mm) BCR in helix cartilage
    Left Nipple: 6g (4mm) Chunk BCR horizontal
    Right Nipple: 10g (2.4mm) barbell vertical
    Navel: 10g (2.4mm) BCR
    PA: 2g (6mm) BCR
    Lorum: 8g (3.2mm) BCR
    Hafada: 2x 8g (3.2mm) BCR

Tattoos:
    Left Arm: Tiki Island and Marine Life Sleeve
    Right Arm: Cosmic Space Sleeve
    Right Lower Leg: Aztec inspired 'Quetzalcoatl' Feathered Serpent

whenever i don't put tea tree oil on the front bump, it seems to get worse. I've had my piercing for exactly 12 weeks, should I just go in and change the jewellery and see if that helps?

As previously stated....
    Personally I would want to get it changed out by an APP/UKAPP registered piercer with some implant grade mirror finished Titanium jewellery until fully healed which can take a year or longer for cartilage.
    With regards to tea tree oil..... After getting better quality jewellery fitted.... Just give it a week or two to settle with clean water rinses using a gentle shower (not a power shower directly on it) and see how it goes.
    Going back 25yrs it was common to mix 5-6 drops of tt oil into a 50ml base oil like almond oil and then apply one drop of the diluted mix to the pierced site. These days one or two companies are producing specific oil formulas in a controlled mix like a base oil, vitamin A, lavender and tt oil for example. Some people get on with them and others do not (much like saline solutions). Many do find no products at all is far better for them. We all heal differently so there's a bit of trial and error which only you can work out.
    All of the advice above is from experience and many piercings. Some piercings still play up after years of having them and that is just the nature of the beast really.
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings:
    Left Ear: 0g (8mm) & 2g (6mm) tunnels in lobe
    Right Ear: 10g (2.4mm) BCR in helix cartilage
    Left Nipple: 6g (4mm) Chunk BCR horizontal
    Right Nipple: 10g (2.4mm) barbell vertical
    Navel: 10g (2.4mm) BCR
    PA: 2g (6mm) BCR
    Lorum: 8g (3.2mm) BCR
    Hafada: 2x 8g (3.2mm) BCR

Tattoos: