Thread: Material grades?

Default Material grades?

I do understand the difference of stainless, surgical and implant steel.

But for instance I I went by Clair's (I thought the store was a bad internet joke. It exists!) And they had surgical steel, but unlabled titanium?

Is this something to look out for, and is there a grade you recommend? My Helix seems to be rather iratated with the surgical steel but I don't want to get the "wrong" titanium and have to change it again.

Also I know acrilic is terrible, but isn't there a body safe plastic that's a safe alternative?
    Right Ear : Triple helix (2/28/19) First lobe (1993) Second lobe (6/8/19)
    Left Ear : First lobe (1993) and Second lobe (6/8/19)
    Face : Septum (3/25/19) and standard tongue (6/8/19)
    Body : Horizontal nipples (3/16/19)

Planned : Left triple helix, VCH, Possible paw print, Possible venom

The only grade of titanium you want is implant grade which is ASTM F136. However, you can also get this with a poor finish or externally threaded which could cause issues. So always go for high-quality, mirror-finish, internally threaded.

As for plastic, the only one that can be considered is PTFE as this is also used in implants, however, at thinner gauges and not heat set to be solid it can form pits/scratches. All other plastic shouldn't be used in any piercing imo.

"Surgical stainless steel" vane be a vague term. If it's implant grade a shop will be able to show you the mill certificate for it showing that it's ASTM F138 compliant (aka implant grade) however as it still contains nickel it can still cause issues. This is why in the EU piercers shouldn't be using it for initial piercings.
    Last edited by Boo; 04-22-2019 at 08:08 PM.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Interesting enough can find the titanium at a reasonable price in every color known to the sun but black. Ptfe is evedently NOT a US thing. Frustrating search!

I think you must be looking in the wrong places. PTFE is available and used world wide and any good quality supplier of jewellery whether online or a pro piercer will be able to provide it for you.
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings:
    Left Ear: 0g (8mm) & 2g (6mm) tunnels in lobe
    Right Ear: 10g (2.4mm) BCR in helix cartilage
    Left Nipple: 6g (4mm) Chunk BCR horizontal
    Right Nipple: 10g (2.4mm) barbell vertical
    Navel: 10g (2.4mm) BCR
    PA: 2g (6mm) BCR
    Lorum: 8g (3.2mm) BCR
    Hafada: 2x 8g (3.2mm) BCR

Tattoos:
    Left Arm: Tiki Island and Marine Life Sleeve
    Right Arm: Cosmic Space Sleeve
    Right Lower Leg: Aztec inspired 'Quetzalcoatl' Feathered Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Dragooness View Post
    Interesting enough can find the titanium at a reasonable price in every color known to the sun but black. Ptfe is evedently NOT a US thing. Frustrating search!
    You cannot anodise titanium red or black, it's not possible. You'd only ever be able to coat it via PVD which can flake off anyway.

I honestly wouldn't bother with soft PTFE unless you're wearing it temporarily.

What exactly is it you're looking for?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by TikiMan View Post
    I think you must be looking in the wrong places. PTFE is available and used world wide and any good quality supplier of jewellery whether online or a pro piercer will be able to provide it for you.
    Oh. OH that explains... Welllllllll. No one told me XD I'll have to pick another color.

Boo right now looking for 16g barbells for a temp fix. I seem to be reactive to Steel in my ear as my Helix is being plain nasty.

And 14g for my nipples... Unfortunately one is peircer deeper. While that's all well and good I think I need a bit longer bar and the peircers here don't have anything between what I have and industrial! I am a little afraid to measure in case I get the wrong length, woul a good solution be to order the pfte bars and the rethreding tool from here, and manage like that?

For my end jewery I think I was set on black metal with blue opals, but as that is impossible I may need to rethink what I want!

Maybe go for a really dark purple? Or a dark bronze?

I would suggest going to see an APP registered piercer in your area when you can as they will be able to order in the exact jewellery you need and probably anodize it for you as well.

Boo thanks for the idea, the dark purple looks GREAT.

Erm however I am for the moment travel banned. Really bad double inner ear infection. But I THINK I understand me during from post to post, and the widest point on the septum. Now about sterilization...?

If the piercings are healed then you don't need to sterilse but some shops and piercers who send will sterilse before sending out but unless you know aseptic technique then you'll contaminate it pretty fast anyway.

I'd simply wait until you're well and you can see a piercer.