Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Industrial Piercing - Keloid or Swelling?

Default Industrial Piercing - Keloid or Swelling?

I recently got my industrial pierced. I'm unsure if the bump that has been there since the piercing happened is normal or not. It doesn't hurt any extra, and it's not like outrageously huge. I'm just unsure it's normal. I don't think it's a keloid. And I know it's not an infection, but it's just ugly. Any thoughts? I'm unsure if I can insert a picture (or how to do so), but I've been taking a picture daily, and I'm not seeing that it's going down any.

Bumps are so common with cartilage piercings. Would be handy to see some pics. Maybe upload to a site like imgur.com then cut & paste the web address deleting the 'https:// www' (we're not allowed to post live links). Hopefully you have been pierced with quality, highly polished mirror finish, implant grade titanium which should help reduce irritation. A warm compress can often help. They can take 6 months to a year or more to heal so patience is key. Industrials can be a bit grumpy.
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings:
    Left Ear: 0g (8mm) & 2g (6mm) tunnels in lobe
    Right Ear: 12g (2mm) segment in helix cartilage
    Left Nipple: 6g (4mm) Chunk BCR horizontal
    Right Nipple: 10g (2.4mm) barbell vertical
    Navel: 10g (2.4mm) BCR
    PA: 2g (6mm) BCR
    Lorum: 8g (3.2mm) BCR
    Hafada: 2x 8g (3.2mm) BCR

Tattoos:
    Left Arm: Tiki Island and Marine Life Sleeve
    Right Arm: Cosmic Space Sleeve
    Right Lower Leg: Aztec inspired 'Quetzalcoatl' Feathered Serpent

This is the bump. It's kind of hard, and it hurts, but not anymore than the piercing itself. It's been there since the day I got the piercing, which was 6 days ago. The guy used a surgical stainless steel barbell. He also advised me to move it up and down when I put antibacterial ointment, but that hurt both sides of the piercing. I've been doing sea salt solution to clean it, and get the crusty off.

**Edit** I posted a link underneath to the picture. I'm not tech savvy and have no clue how to attach a picture.

imgur.com/a/gTJKVfs

imgur.com/a/XWocyjA
    Last edited by Boo; 04-13-2019 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Merged posts and removed direct links

The front piercing looks good but personally the rear (swollen) one doesn't look like good placement. I'm not saying you should do this but it is what I'd do....
    1) Stop putting any ointments on it.
    2) Clean it with saline solution (if that works for you) or rinse it with clean water in the shower.
    3) Stop trying to move it as this will irritate it further.
    4) Get a second opinion from an APP registered piercer and get fitted with implant grade titanium. Surgical steel can contain higher levels of nickel which can cause irritation or worse case allergic reaction.
    I hope this helps although I'm sure it's not what you need to hear.
    With a bit of luck the swelling may ease and everything will settle. Keep taking photos so you can monitor any changes too.
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings:

Tattoos:
    Left Arm: Tiki Island and Marine Life Sleeve
    Right Arm: Cosmic Space Sleeve
    Right Lower Leg: Aztec inspired 'Quetzalcoatl' Feathered Serpent

Thanks! I really appreciate it. At this point, I am willing to try whatever will help with the bump. I don't want to have wasted my time or money on something that looks awful, especially my own ear.

Thanks again for your advice.

Go see an excellent piercer and ask for some advice about the placement, I don't like how much pressure it's putting on the upper part of your ear.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Industrials are such a pain to heal in the first place. I think it looks good overall!!
    The bottom placement is a bit off, but I've seen worse.
    It's a good sign that it's not giving you pain or discomfort. Is it secreting anything? If so, what color? It doesn't look infected imo, but it's an important detail.
    I'd completely stop messing with it & definitely go get a second opinion, & hey, they may be able to fit you with higher quality jewelry too.
    Do you have any other piercings? If so, did they bump like this? My body is super annoying and picky, and I'm prone to irritation bumps like nobodies business every time. The slightest bump and my bodies like nooooope.
    Holes Left ear: 2 lobes, tragus
    Right ear: 2 lobes, daith, industrial
    Nose stud on each side.

Ink Left lower back // Astronaut on the moon.

Honestly, the upper part of my ear hasn't given me any problems, and the barbell itself has a lot of leeway. The bump seems to have gone down just a bit, since I've stopped moving it, and began soaking it with a saline instead of putting antibacterial ointment on it. It's not much smaller, but it seems to be working out.

It's not secreting anything, other than the white stuff that normally comes with the healing process. I haven't messed with it (except using a tissue to clean it after soaking), and even then, I'm not moving it, just wiping anything off of it.

I've had other piercings (eyebrow, lip, and tongue), and they all healed differently, but I've never had problem with the standard jewelry in them. The only one that bumped, was my lip, and it went away after a few days. I'm pretty sure the bump was just from swelling and messing with it, since I was a dumb teenager who thought I was cool at the time. I'm currently waiting for titanium jewelry to come in, and when I spoke to a different piercer, they advised me to use hoops, instead of the standard bar, to give my ear less pressure, and allow it to heal up better. I'm unsure the quality of the advice at this point, because this is by far the worst piercing experience I've had. The guy who did my ear is a different jeweler than who I normally go to, and I really regret it at this point.

Yay!!
    Leaving things alone and keeping it simple is always the best place to start. It's difficult doing things by photo (although easier when you can see it) and things usually look very different in reality.
    Wish you 'Happy Healing!!' and keep us posted
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings: