Thread: Insertion taper for externally threaded belly rings

Default Insertion taper for externally threaded belly rings

I got a navel piercing for a few years now and have always gotten internally threaded rings to wear. But I also a collection of externally threaded rings as gifts from family friends (who, at first, weren't aware of the difference). I would love to wear these rings and not put them to waste so I started searching for an insertion taper that would cover the threading as it is inserted through the piercing. So far the only ones I find are for internally threaded jewelry and the concave ones are not hollow enough to fit the external threading (I guess cuz they're for plugs???). I even looked into getting a threadless bar but the inner diameter is not enough to fit the diameter of the external threading of the rings. I did find one from Urban Body Jewelry, but it is calor style so it is a bit larger than 14g. Not necessarily a deal breaker but just wondering if anyone have other ideas.

Ask your piercer maybe? They might be able to order one in for you. I'd assume though that the externally threaded stuff is probably going to be pretty low grade/nasty/mystery metal so be cautious of it.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Personally I wouldn't use any externally threaded jewellery.
    If I did then a calor taper for 14g (1.6mm) would have an outside diameter of approximately 12g (2.0mm) and is what I would use. You would therefore temporarily stretch up a gauge to safely fit the thread through. If you are well healed then it will likely be no problem at all with plenty of lube on.
    Another option would be to wrap a layer of PTFE (plumbers) tape around the thread and trim off the excess which will help protect your fistula from potentially sharp threads. Once in then remove tape and screw your ball on.
    PTFE is bio-compatible and has no adhesive as it sticks to itself.
    Bear in mind that poorer quality jewellery can also contain unknown materials and be badly finished. Always wear high quality jewellery from known sources to minimise risk of problems.
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings:
    Left Ear: 0g (8mm) & 2g (6mm) tunnels in lobe
    Right Ear: 10g (2.4mm) BCR in helix cartilage
    Left Nipple: 6g (4mm) Chunk BCR horizontal
    Right Nipple: 10g (2.4mm) barbell vertical
    Navel: 10g (2.4mm) BCR
    PA: 2g (6mm) BCR
    Lorum: 8g (3.2mm) BCR
    Hafada: 2x 8g (3.2mm) BCR

Tattoos: