Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear lobe piercing not healing :(

Unhappy Ear lobe piercing not healing :(

Hi!
    i got my earlobes pierced on 31/10/18. Iíve never had any other piercings so I didnít know what to expect but I wish Iíd never got them done now :( I didnít change the earring until it had been at least 8 weeks, and even then I changed them back to studs a few hours later. I bathed them in salt water for 5 minutes 2 x a day up until about 3 weeks ago, and when Iím showering I always give them a rinse too. The problem is, they just arenít healing at all. Iíve changed the studs to small hoop sleepers now, because itís more comfortable. They are titanium earrings so Iím pretty sure the jewellery is not whatís irritating me. Whenever I try to put another pair of earrings in, it just hurts me and then they bleed / leak pus for the next few days. Today I woke up, after having about 2 weeks of the piercings being Ďnormalí and not swollen or painful, and my right one was swollen and leaking pus (and painful). The left one is fine, the right one has always been worse. I have started to do salt baths again but itís just annoying because I do want to get more piercings but if my body canít even handle lobe piercings then I really donít want to waste my money getting more if itís gonna be this much effort each time :( I just want to know if thereís anything I can do to stop this from happening or why it might be happening? Itís been 4 months and my lobes still arenít anywhere near healed.

Gun or needle?

8 weeks isn't all that long for any piercing, I think you've probably delayed healing by changing the jewellery so much. If you can get some really good quality jewellery in then just leave it alone as much as possible, apart from a quick rinse in the shower. I'm very much a 'less is more' person when it comes to healing.
    I'm Sam Come & say hi!
    Twitter Facebook

Nipple Cross. Tongue. Conch. Nostrils. 10mm Lobes. Nipple.

If you were pierced in a quality studio then you would have been pierced with a needle and been fitted with implant grade, highly polished titanium jewellery. Cheaper titanium can sometimes cause irritation. They shouldn't be tight so as to allow air to get to them. 8-12 wks healing is only a guide for the faster healing lobes but everyone heals at different rates. Sometimes it can take 6 months, a year or even longer in some circumstances.
    It's a labour of love for most of us. May be worth going to a skilled piercing studio for advice.

MxSherwood89 above speaks wisely. Basically...please leave them alone until fully healed.
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings:
    Left Ear: 0g (8mm) & 2g (6mm) tunnels in lobe
    Right Ear: 10g (2.4mm) BCR in helix cartilage
    Left Nipple: 6g (4mm) Chunk BCR horizontal
    Right Nipple: 10g (2.4mm) barbell vertical
    Navel: 10g (2.4mm) BCR
    PA: 2g (6mm) BCR
    Lorum: 8g (3.2mm) BCR
    Hafada: 2x 8g (3.2mm) BCR

Tattoos:
    Left Arm: Tiki Island and Marine Life Sleeve
    Right Arm: Cosmic Space Sleeve
    Right Lower Leg: Aztec inspired 'Quetzalcoatl' Feathered Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by MxSherwood89 View Post
    Gun or needle?

8 weeks isn't all that long for any piercing, I think you've probably delayed healing by changing the jewellery so much. If you can get some really good quality jewellery in then just leave it alone as much as possible, apart from a quick rinse in the shower. I'm very much a 'less is more' person when it comes to healing.
    Hi! Unfortunately it was a gun, as I said itís my first piercing and if I wasnít to do it again Iíd get it done with a needle, I just didnít really research it because I thought it would be fine since itís just lobes. Sorry maybe you misunderstood me lol I havenít changed them loads, just once for a few hours, then back to the original studs and now Iíve had these sleeper hoops in for 2 months. I do not change them anymore! The ones I have now are titanium which from what Iíve read is the best metal to use. The most annoying part for me is that my friendship got theirs done at the same time, with a gun also and she never cleaned them etc and changed them out after about 6 weeks and theyíve healed perfectly. She changed her earrings constantly too. Mine on the other hand... so annoying :(

Thanks for your help! Yeah unfortunately it was with a gun and I deffo wouldn’t make the same mistake again. Do you think since I’ve had so much trouble with my lobes that I should just give up on more piercings? It just disheartens me because these are supposed to be the easiest to heal and they’ve caused me so much pain haha. Can’t even imagine how stressful it would be having more.

Don't give up just yet. You will likely feel different if you go to a good professional piercer. Anyone who pierces with a gun is not proffesional imo. You will inevitably splash more cash but if fitted with proper jewellery and follow good aftercare advice then I'm pretty sure you'll have a better experience. It's a tough first lesson you've had to learn.
    Let us all know how you get on and ask away with queries you have and we'll help if we can. It's a good little community here.
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings:
    Left Ear: 0g (8mm) & 2g (6mm) tunnels in lobe
    Right Ear: 10g (2.4mm) BCR in helix cartilage
    Left Nipple: 6g (4mm) Chunk BCR horizontal
    Right Nipple: 10g (2.4mm) barbell vertical
    Navel: 10g (2.4mm) BCR
    PA: 2g (6mm) BCR
    Lorum: 8g (3.2mm) BCR
    Hafada: 2x 8g (3.2mm) BCR

Tattoos:
    Left Arm: Tiki Island and Marine Life Sleeve
    Right Arm: Cosmic Space Sleeve
    Right Lower Leg: Aztec inspired 'Quetzalcoatl' Feathered Serpent

I wouldn't say give up on piercings at all, it's a learning curve, particularly if you've never had any before. When I think about what I did with my first few piercings it's pretty horrifying, given what I know now! If you can get to a decent piercing studio they'll be able to advise you on proper jewellery, aftercare, etc
    I'm Sam Come & say hi!
    Twitter Facebook

Nipple Cross. Tongue. Conch. Nostrils. 10mm Lobes. Nipple.

We all live and learn, I've had many gunned piercings and even OWNED one at one point. I also had some really sh*t tattoos as well.

Where do you live?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    We all live and learn, I've had many gunned piercings and even OWNED one at one point. I also had some really sh*t tattoos as well.

Where do you live?
    Iím hoping itís just the gun that caused all these issues for me then, and not the fact that my body will just reject all piercings. ITs funny cause my mum is the same, had her ears pierced for many years and theyíre still painful and bleed a lot. Which makes me think maybe itís in my genes 🤣
    I live in the UK in Bristol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rk22 View Post
    I’m hoping it’s just the gun that caused all these issues for me then, and not the fact that my body will just reject all piercings. ITs funny cause my mum is the same, had her ears pierced for many years and they’re still painful and bleed a lot. Which makes me think maybe it’s in my genes 藍
    I live in the UK in Bristol.
    Go see Mike at Broad Street Studio in Bath, one of the best piercers in the UK. You're lucky to be so close!

Explain they were gunned and he'll check over them to see if they're viable or if they need to come out and be redone. He also stocks high-quality, mirror-finish, implant-grade titanium. Not all titanium is created equally, some is low grade and poorly finished which can cause problems and further irritation. Maybe mum can get an upgrade of jewellery as well and see if it stops her issues? My sister had problems for years on end until I got her fitted with proper high-quality body jewellery. She's never had an issue since.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast