Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School Curriculum

Default School Curriculum

I've been thinking about this for a while.

I think that a lot of what they teach in schools is pretty useless and that schools should be focusing more on life skills.

I mean, History and English Literature are fine. I love history but it has little practical use and who really needs to be able to dissect a Shakespeare play?

I think kids should be taught stuff like home finance (mortgages, credit, saving, insurance etc etc) And how about first aid?
    Also DIY - everyone should really be able to do basic stuff like put up a shelf or what to do if the power goes off or there is a water leak.

Anyone else agree with me?
    Got: double snakebites|central lip|labret|1.6mm and 5mm tongue|philtrum|angel bites|smiley|septum|3 pairs nostrils|3 pairs eyebrows|bridge|15 & 16 (l&r) lobe/cartilage, rook, 2x tragus, 3x forward helix, conch (both ears symmetrical)|3x navel (74 holes in total)Want: Everything, slowly building up my piercings over time.Next up: venoms; maybe something genital

My son's school covers finances, he knows what a mortgage is along with savings, credit cards etc. I think first aid would be good, I'll ask if that's ever been covered. I think everyone should learn first aid, I've taught him some basics though and I know he learned about drowning etc during school swimming lessons. As for DIY, my husband has taught him a fair bit along with PC/electronics maintenance. I wouldn't really expect school to cover something like that although it would be welcomed.

I do think critical things like finances should absolutely be covered or schools could at least plant the idea of parents teaching their kids about the importance of it. I think everyone should learn first aid and be kept up to date on it as well. Problem is if they're taught in school they will have to understand the importance of keeping it going as protocols and procedures/guidelines change all the time. Having a basic understanding would be wonderful though!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I agree with both of you. - CPR classes/first aid would be good and DIY and how to cook etc... Sewing a button on, changing a light bulb, budgeting your money etc... That is good being taught about drowning (well done!). We have had a few here not make it - sadly through the summer holidays etc... I think girls should be taught some self defence type of thing too.
    Last edited by Mazzy; 03-02-2019 at 01:58 PM.
    Left side - Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, Helix, Rook, Lower Conch and Double Tragus (sadly the bottom one has migrated).

Right side -Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, "Paw" print piercing on the flat of my ear, Tragus, Nostril, Helix and Eyebrow. "Shen Men" piercing, Triple Forward Helix.

Retired - Right Eyebrow's x2.

Quite a few Tattoo's.

In school my son has been taught the basics of cooking, some sewing too as I was as well. I also did the CPR stuff in swimming lessons and how to cope if you're in trouble in water. Budgeting is a good one, that should be a vital skill imo! Self defence classes are a good idea (for all genders) but again where does the line between parenting and school stop? I feel some parents lean on teachers a bit hard sometimes when they could be teaching their kids how to do a lot of basics. I heard on the radio yesterday how Health Visitors are going to be telling parents how to get their kids reading, writing and communicating as too many are starting school unable to barely communicate or understand how to read. Our HVs are overworked as it is without having to teach what I think are basic parenting skills.

I remember my mum teaching me how to change a lightbulb and how to sew, my dad showed me how to wire a plug and what fuses are. My dad also showed us some (probably crude) self defense moves when we were in our teens. I went to Brownies and Guides and other clubs where I learned loads about basic skills such as washing, ironing and mending clothes, camping, basic cooking, it also taught self confidence and communication skills, all outside of school hours. My son doesn't like clubs etc so much these days but I try and talk to him and show him these kinds of things because I want him to be able to cope when he's older and know that teachers just don't have the time or resources (or even ability) to do so.

I think explaining how to self-teach is good as well, explaining where useful/correct resources can be found is awesome as well. For Christmas my sons main present was a year of some Adobe editing suite. In just two months he's making videos, art, animation etc. No one has taught him how to do it, he has taught himself which I think is an amazing and vital skill all on its own.
    Last edited by Boo; 03-02-2019 at 04:04 PM.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I've recently learned that apprenticeships are now very common.
    Makes sense - my son is leaning towards engineering as a career - needs 4A's at higher first attempt to get into a good university.
    He's smart but that is hard!
    In about the same sort of time he could do an apprenticeship, earn money all the time and be doing the same job as a graduate, and probably be better than a graduate as he would have experience.
    Got: double snakebites|central lip|labret|1.6mm and 5mm tongue|philtrum|angel bites|smiley|septum|3 pairs nostrils|3 pairs eyebrows|bridge|15 & 16 (l&r) lobe/cartilage, rook, 2x tragus, 3x forward helix, conch (both ears symmetrical)|3x navel (74 holes in total)Want: Everything, slowly building up my piercings over time.Next up: venoms; maybe something genital

I think apprenticeships are wonderful and you're right, they are heavily encouraged for some students these days. My next door neighbours middle kid is doing one for vehicle maintenance and he's loving it. If he was just stuck in a classroom doing theory only A-Levels he would struggle like mad and probably hate it. I hated it. By 17 I dropped out of my A-Levels (not the greatest move) but by almost 18 I had my own apartment, full time job earning just above min wage and paying all my bills and have worked ever since. I don't think there is a wrong/right when it comes to this kind of thing though and that's why I love how schools are adapting further education now to suit the needs of the student rather than a one-track system that didn't fit all.

Apprenticeships are great but sadly not what they once were. These days they are government funded schemes which are okay when properly administered by responsible companies. Unfortunately there are many young people who due to insufficient nurturing to stimulate their minds, don't give a cr*p about any opportunity given to better themselves and businesses that use it as a resource for cheap labour. Don't get me wrong.... There are good kids out there and some employers who do take an interest and invest in their apprentices training but no where near as many as there used to be. There is now a great lack of common sense and more importantly, skills and trade in the workplace meaning poor quality, lack of self esteem and little pride taken in the work itself.
    I do agree with above points by you all regarding out of school activities, parenting, schooling curriculum and life skills etc.
    I'm lucky in that respect not to have children but I do actively interact with family and close friends kids all of which show interest in learning & trying out new things be it outdoor pursuits, crafts, engineering, construction, IT/digital and many others.

Great topic this
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings:
    Left Ear: 0g (8mm) & 2g (6mm) tunnels in lobe
    Right Ear: 10g (2.4mm) BCR in helix cartilage
    Left Nipple: 6g (4mm) Chunk BCR horizontal
    Right Nipple: 10g (2.4mm) barbell vertical
    Navel: 10g (2.4mm) BCR
    PA: 2g (6mm) BCR
    Lorum: 8g (3.2mm) BCR
    Hafada: 2x 8g (3.2mm) BCR

Tattoos:
    Left Arm: Tiki Island and Marine Life Sleeve
    Right Arm: Cosmic Space Sleeve
    Right Lower Leg: Aztec inspired 'Quetzalcoatl' Feathered Serpent

I think apprenticeships can always be open to abuse unfortunately, like you say the companies involved can take the mick. Just like zero hour contracts for adults. It's a shame really because in theory, they are a good fit for those not suited to the classroom only. I know a few kids round here who are enjoying their apprenticeships at the moment but have heard of places who just cycle through kids for cheap labour. Hopefully the qualifications and experience they gain will lead them on to better things ^_^

Agreed that apprenticeships have suffered since the old days when kids would go to, for example, the shipyards and serve their time and then really build up some serious skills.
    The apprenticeships offered by the companies that came to my son's school looked great.

It's also not only bad companies. My late father used to take on apprentice mechanics - many of them have went on to have great careers but he gave up after being unable to find any kids who were interested or would bother to turn up. Kids just weren't interested in getting their hands dirty or having to get out their beds and make it to a place of work under their own steam by 9am.

Great point about the parents having to be involved. My kids are really bright because I get them doing stuff. They might moan about it but they'll thank me for it one day. One example - my son wants hydraulic brakes on his bike and asked if we could take his bike to a local shop to do it. Of course I said no! It's really simple stuff which with a little bit of guidance he could easily do, so he has been looking at how to do it on YouTube and we'll be ordering the bits soon. Reminds me of that Royal Navy advert...

Speaking of the Navy.... All the military services provide opportunities to train and learn a trade. It's a great option for physical and mental challenges. Our friends daughter passed out in the Royal Navy 2 years ago and now serves on HMS Queen Elizabeth (new Aircraft Carrier). She loves it.
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings:
    Left Ear: 0g (8mm) & 2g (6mm) tunnels in lobe
    Right Ear: 10g (2.4mm) BCR in helix cartilage
    Left Nipple: 6g (4mm) Chunk BCR horizontal
    Right Nipple: 10g (2.4mm) barbell vertical
    Navel: 10g (2.4mm) BCR
    PA: 2g (6mm) BCR
    Lorum: 8g (3.2mm) BCR
    Hafada: 2x 8g (3.2mm) BCR

Tattoos: