Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tongue web piercing and seeing my dentist!

Quote Originally Posted by boo View Post

originally posted by mazzy
    even if you hate tattoo's and piercings you wouldn't be that bad towards people who have them would you?

Agreed, there's a way of communicating that without being rude. My mum really doesn't like tattoos at all yet she can still appreciate mine and the quality of them. But overall, no, she doesn't "like" them. Doesn't bother me as long as she or anyone isn't rude about it. If they are they will swiftly get told to f**k off either directly or in a much more professional way depending on the situation.

Hope the op goes well for you <3
    You are so right Boo and my mum is exactly the same too
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings:
    Left Ear: 0g (8mm) & 2g (6mm) tunnels in lobe
    Right Ear: 12g (2mm) segment in helix cartilage
    Left Nipple: 6g (4mm) Chunk BCR horizontal
    Right Nipple: 10g (2.4mm) barbell vertical
    Navel: 10g (2.4mm) BCR
    PA: 2g (6mm) BCR
    Lorum: 8g (3.2mm) BCR
    Hafada: 2x 8g (3.2mm) BCR

Tattoos:
    Left Arm: Tiki Island and Marine Life Sleeve
    Right Arm: Cosmic Space Sleeve
    Right Lower Leg: Aztec inspired 'Quetzalcoatl' Feathered Serpent

Many thanks for your replies and hoping my Op goes well (Boo) <3 . Sorry, your Mum's are not overly keen on tattoos in general. I am lucky as my Mum is ok with them. My Mum is tattooed as well. It is a completely different story piercing wise though. - Oh dear! lol... Mum hates my eyebrow piercing and doesn't see the point of my double Tragus. When I have problems with them she says "take the bl**dy lot out". I have been told that if I ever come home with a Septum, lip piercing of any kind or tongue piercing I will be dis-owned! That is me told lol... Mum is scared of Septum's.
    Left side - Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, Helix, Rook, Lower Conch and Double Tragus.

Right side -Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, "Paw" print piercing on the flat of my ear, Tragus, Nostril, Helix and Eyebrow.

Retired - Right Eyebrow but, re-pierced next to the retired one.

Quite a few Tattoo's.

Back again. Lovely to see how these discussions develop and evolve! It’s really good to know health professionals, in general, won’t make critical comments about piercings on their patients.

Once when I had an operation they said all piercings and jewellery should be removed and I think that was the normal script. When I was at the final stage of being prepared for surgery (line in my hand, already one injection to feel light headed) they taped over my wedding ring without any fuss. So probably yes, piercings need to come out but alternatively they might be taped over, just to make sure? Mind you, you can’t exactly tape over a tongue piercing....

I know now not everyone will agree here but I’m always happy to follow advice... if it means taking piercings out, so be it.

Next appointment at the dental surgery is with the hygienist (the dentist’s reaction was the start of this thread). I’m almost looking forward to it any her reaction!
    Piercings: navel, septum, tongue web
    Retired piercings: PA, nipples

Hey Mat, good to hear from you again
    It has certainly been an evolving thread as you said so it will be interesting to hear what your hygienist says. Fingers crossed they are as professional as your dentist.
    Last edited by TikiMan; 03-26-2019 at 10:12 PM.
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings:

Tattoos:

Quote Originally Posted by mat View Post
    I know now not everyone will agree here but I’m always happy to follow advice... if it means taking piercings out, so be it.
    I'm the same, there are reasons they ask. However, if they try and be unreasonable I tend to just gloss over the discussion and usually get away with it. A tongue piercing I can understand as it's in the path of an airway. Most others they can tape up or work around but I can understand why for general surgery they will want them out as a baseline rule. I did find it cool though that my husband was allowed to keep his frenum ladder in when he had his vasectomy!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    I'm the same, there are reasons they ask. However, if they try and be unreasonable I tend to just gloss over the discussion and usually get away with it. A tongue piercing I can understand as it's in the path of an airway. Most others they can tape up or work around but I can understand why for general surgery they will want them out as a baseline rule. I did find it cool though that my husband was allowed to keep his frenum ladder in when he had his vasectomy!
    I really can see why they do it too and they do have their reasons. But, when you have finally managed to settle your ears down and there are quite a few piercings there it is annoying! That is good you usually get away with it Boo. I hope they are the same when I go in. They are going in to plastic soon and I will tape over them. I can't do anymore and I bet that isn't enough though. lol.. I asked over a year ago about the same problem when I was supposed to have had my operation and at the time the Consultant said it was all fine but for facial piercings.
    Last edited by Mazzy; 03-28-2019 at 09:01 AM.

Right side -Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, "Paw" print piercing on the flat of my ear, Tragus, Nostril, Helix and Eyebrow.

Quite a few Tattoo's.

My dentist is a small lady in her 30's with a "don't worry i got this s**t" attitude and also friends with my dad. For an x-ray she told me i have to remove all my piercings so i asked her for a tray and a pair of gloves (i always screw in my piercings with latex gloves so my fingers don't have enough grip to unscrew them) after about 15 minutes she kinda gave up and told me if my lobes are metal-free we should be fine so the rest is visible on the x-ray but don't cast a shadow.
    Also she was really cool when i legit started crying because i had to have a tooth pulled (and i only heard horror stories about it) so she sent in her assistant, a girl my age and went to do another patient and we talked for about an hour where she convinced me it will be fine (it was done in 5 minutes, all i felt was a pull) while i convinced her to get a helix piercing since she was scared of the pain.
    So when doc came back she basicaly went
    -ARE YA READY?
    -YES
    -LET'S DO IT
    Also she's the reason my bf is not scared of dentists anymore.
    Tho thanks to my history of countless fillings i would say she would scold me if i got a lip/tongue piercing. Not in an angry way just telling me i should reconsider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zindi View Post
    So when doc came back she basically went
    -ARE YA READY?
    -YES
    -LET'S DO IT
    Hey Zindi,
    Sounds like your dentist has an awesome attitude.
    I'm a bit weird because I really enjoy going to the dentist. I had two wisdom teeth pulled and loved every minute of it. It was like a bod mod but with local anaesthetic. Hearing the squeaking of metal on the tooth and the gristly sound inside your head. My dentist said "are you actually trying to smile?". We both laughed afterwards.

I don't mind a professional advising pros and cons so long as they do not impose on you that it's not your decision whether you have oral piercings. That would seriously annoy me!
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings:

Tattoos:

She does sound cool! Shouldn't have to remove anything in your ears for a dental x-ray though, I never have and they even said I could leave my metal septum jewellery in as well.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I had fun when I went in for my operation. When I went in to the room for my General Anaesthetic. I had put Emla on the back of my hand myself. They were saying things like oh, do you have your piercings numbed before you have them? Oh, do you have tattoo's numbed before you have them too as Emla is for babies - I said I am a baby and no - they don't fiddle about and miss my veins like you all do. Just at that moment they went and missed my vein. They all shut up then!

Quite a few Tattoo's.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast