Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Experiences with Health Professionals and Modifications

Default Experiences with Health Professionals and Modifications

Today I thought I was meant to be seeing the hygienist but it turned out my appointment was with my dentist for a check up. Either way I had been feeling a little apprehensive as this was the first time I have been since I got my tongue web pierced late last year.

I reckoned the hygienist would probably just make a brief comment and then just carry on with descaling my teeth. I had thought my dentist would be the one giving me a hard time.

In the end I needn't have worried. Her preamble seemed to take ages and I was itching to tell her before she looked in my mouth. She always asks about the toothpaste, whether I use a mouthwash after brushing (no, correct answer), discussed the hidden sugars in foods (baked beans, ketchup etc) and all kinds of things. Then she wanted to feel around my jaw, neck and so on in giving me a really good check up.

And then I said "I have a surprise for you"

"Really, what is it?"

"I've had a piercing, under my tongue"

And then I showed her and I could see she was smiling, even under the mask over her mouth. She asked me why, I explained and she said "you go for it, that's fine". I asked her if she minded at all, saying I was expecting a ticking off.

"Not at all, don't worry. Most people with oral piercings have piercing through the tongue and with these I've had to treat quite a few chipped teeth. You won't have that problem with that little ring".

So that was that. And I didn't need any treatment.
    Piercings: navel, PA
    Retired piercings: nipples, septum, tongue web

You'd be surprised how many dentists just don't care these days. They're professionals there for your health, not to pass comments on your choices (unless they directly relate to your health). My husband has his tongue split and his last dentist didn't bat an eyelid when he first saw her.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

It's good to hear a positive story about sensible healthcare professionals and I think Boo is spot on about about attitudes towards the modded community changing for the better.
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings:
    Left Ear: 0g (8mm) & 2g (6mm) tunnels in lobe
    Right Ear: 6g (4mm) tunnel in helix cartilage
    Left Nipple: 4g (5mm) BCR horizontal
    Right Nipple: 8g (3.2mm) Barbell vertical
    Navel: 8g (3.2mm) Curved Barbell
    PA: 2g (6mm) BCR
    Lorum: 8g (3.2mm) Curved Barbell
    Hafada: 2x 8g (3.2mm) Circular Barbell & BCR

Tattoos:
    Left Arm: Tiki Island and Marine Life Sleeve
    Right Arm: Cosmic Space Sleeve
    Right Lower Leg: Aztec inspired 'Quetzalcoatl' Feathered Serpent

Yep it was a nice surprise and a bit of a relief.

Following Boo mentioning her husband's split tongue and not being a problem at the dentist, would be interested to know any other reactions to body piercings by dentists, doctors etc
    Piercings: navel, PA
    Retired piercings: nipples, septum, tongue web

Quote Originally Posted by TikiMan View Post
    It's good to hear a positive story about sensible healthcare professionals and I think Boo is spot on about about attitudes towards the modded community changing for the better.
    They are not allowed to judge anymore. I went to see a Triage Nurse as my Conch came up a year or so ago I said that I was expecting her to tell me that it was a silly place to have pierced etc.. The Nurse said - "Oh, no we are not allowed to judge - plus everyone is having them now". One of the G.P's I have seen a few times has said to me what "art work" have I had done recently? We recon he is secretly after a tattoo or two.
    Left side - Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, Helix, Rook, Lower Conch.

Right side -Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, "Paw" print piercing on the flat of my ear, Tragus, Nostril, Helix and Eyebrow. "Shen Men" piercing, Triple Forward Helix.

Retired - Right Eyebrow's x2. Left Double Tragus - sadly! :(

Quite a few Tattoo's.

Quote Originally Posted by mat View Post
    Yep it was a nice surprise and a bit of a relief.

Following Boo mentioning her husband's split tongue and not being a problem at the dentist, would be interested to know any other reactions to body piercings by dentists, doctors etc
    I've had reactions but nothing negative. That includes:

-Genital piercings - nurse doing a cervical smear and a sonographer/doctor doing a trans-vaginal ultrasound: No comments made.
    -Ear piercings - GP and staff at A&E checking my ears and temperature: They either say nothing or ask if any are new/fresh as they don't want to hurt me. I also tell them my left is easier due to a large gauge conch and daith in my right and they thank me. One GP saw my coinslot as it as healing and just didn't care at all.
    -Scarring on the back of my neck from microdermals and failed scar removal - doctor, consultant assessment: No comments made.
    -Tattoos - not hard to miss on me so seen by many many medical professionals: Either no comments or just passing comment that I have a lot or that they're pretty or they like them or they want one or in the case of a regular nurse I saw she'd ask if I'd got any more lol. Nurses at a procedure I had saw to me in my own room/area and showed me some of their tattoos

Never once in 20 years can I recall anything negative. Medical professionals are there to do their job, not judge and have seen more than many seem to realise.

Now my weight....that gets blamed for almost everything (including illnesses I started with when I was slim), sigh.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I think they've seen it all and are used to it.
    I recall, more than 10 years ago now, that some medical students were getting training about different piercing jewellery so that they knew how to remove it if necessary.
    I'll bet there are some medical schools that have a whole class about piercings, complications, jewellery, healing, etc etc.
    Got: double snakebites|central lip|labret|1.6mm and 5mm tongue|philtrum|angel bites|smiley|septum|3 pairs nostrils|3 pairs eyebrows|bridge|15 & 16 (l&r) lobe/cartilage, rook, 2x tragus, 3x forward helix, conch (both ears symmetrical)|3x navel (74 holes in total)Want: Everything, slowly building up my piercings over time.Next up: venoms; maybe something genital

Only had one experience. Embarrassing one where I had to go to my GP to remove a stuck tampon. Yep that happened to me! Thought I'd be told off first for having it happen, then for wearing a thong and all the "health risks" attached to wearing them, and then for having a vch piercing.

Nothing was said at all. Doctor was very caring.
    Piercings:
    Nose, navel, both nipples horizontally, Princess Diana, septum, tongue

Tattoos:
    Line of butterflies from lower belly round onto back and up to my shoulder, garter tatt on left thigh

The nurses always comment (in a good way) on my tatts when I have my blood tests and they see it as a test of skill as my ditches are 100% colour ink so they certainly can't see any veins .

My consultant always asks how healing has gone as it is often much slower for type1 diabetics. Fortunately with many years of good control I have never had any probs so he's happy with me.

The only weird one was when I went to a pharmacist for a flu jab instead of my surgery. The pharmacist was reluctant to inject me because there was no clear skin on my arms. He said they are only trained to do the jabs in clear skin so I ended up going to my surgery in the end where the nurse just fixed me up no questions asked. Fair enough I guess but weird
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings:
    Left Ear: 0g (8mm) & 2g (6mm) tunnels in lobe
    Right Ear: 6g (4mm) tunnel in helix cartilage
    Left Nipple: 4g (5mm) BCR horizontal
    Right Nipple: 8g (3.2mm) Barbell vertical
    Navel: 8g (3.2mm) Curved Barbell
    PA: 2g (6mm) BCR
    Lorum: 8g (3.2mm) Curved Barbell
    Hafada: 2x 8g (3.2mm) Circular Barbell & BCR

Tattoos:
    Left Arm: Tiki Island and Marine Life Sleeve
    Right Arm: Cosmic Space Sleeve
    Right Lower Leg: Aztec inspired 'Quetzalcoatl' Feathered Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by TikiMan View Post
    The nurses always comment (in a good way) on my tatts when I have my blood tests and they see it as a test of skill as my ditches are 100% colour ink so they certainly can't see any veins .
    Ooh yeah of course. I remember when I was in hospital last year and it took them FOUR attempts to put a line in a vein on the back of my hand. Pretty ridiculous really. Took the nurse at A&E recently just 2 attempts to get a line in my ditch. I told her to go for my right but she said she'd be able to do it in my left, she tried but couldn't hit a vein, got it first time on the right...sigh.

My phlebotomist friend gets very angry when I tell her these stories, there's no need for it. Saw a phleb not too long ago and she didn't comment, got a vein first time no problem.

The pharmacist was covering their ass, if they've not been trained to inject in non-clear skin then they won't be allowed to for insurance reasons.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast