Thread: How on earth do you cope with a hand tattoo?

Question How on earth do you cope with a hand tattoo?

Hello All, My friend and I keep wondering this - How on earth do you look after/cope with a hand tattoo? I mean you cannot keep washing your hands all the time and wear rubber gloves to keep you hands dry whilst it is healing can you? How on earth do you manage? They recon feet ones are just as bad but, I was fine with mine. Hands are a different thing altogether.
    Left side - Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, Helix, Rook, Lower Conch and Double Tragus.

Right side -Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, "Paw" print piercing on the flat of my ear, Tragus, Nostril, Helix and Eyebrow.

Retired - Right Eyebrow but, re-pierced next to the retired one.

Quite a few Tattoo's.

It depends on your lifestyle really. If you are in a position where you need to wash your hands all the time then you're going to have to work out how you can lessen that to a normal amount.

You don't need to wear rubber gloves to keep it dry. Just don't soak it.

If it's really problematic then you can use sarin wrap or tegaderm to heal covered.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 6mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

As Boo says above really Mazzy. There are ways to adapt whilst they heal.
    Personally I use a product called Dermalize which is similar to Tegaderm and Saniderm. They are breathable dressings which stick to your skin and are pretty much waterproof allowing you to shower or wash. The good thing about these products is that they protect your skin from other contaminants such as dust which is handy when you're on a construction site like I often am. I rate dermal film and my artists love the way they lock the ink in.
    They are not, however, the easiest things to apply and it takes some practice in awkward places such as elbows, hands, feet, knees etc.
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings:
    Left Ear: 0g (8mm) & 2g (6mm) tunnels in lobe
    Right Ear: 12g (2mm) Segment in scapha/helix cartilage
    Left Nipple: 6g (4mm) circular barbell
    Right Nipple: 10g (2.4mm) barbell
    Navel: 10g (2.4mm) BCR
    PA: 4g (5mm) Chunk BCR
    Lorum: 14g (1.6mm) BCR
    Hafada: 2x 14g (1.6mm) BCR

Tattoos:
    Left Arm: Tiki Island and Marine Life Sleeve
    Right Arm: Cosmic Space Sleeve
    Right Lower Leg: Aztec inspired 'Quetzalcoatl' Feathered Serpent

When I feel like it is kind of itchy, I am trying to wash it gently using water and mild soap. Afterward I will immediately pat it dry using paper towel then apply the lotion that my artist recommends.

My hands never itched that much but Hustle Butter usually sorts out itching no problem. I don't wash more than 1-2 times a day quickly after the first 48 hours.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Many thanks for your replies. - That has helped me alot. I never knew about Dermalize etc... Didn't think you could buy such a thing. Believe it or not I had to go to my Tattooist's yesterday as I had some colours re-done etc... The Tattooist said he had got a new product for me to try if I liked? It was only Dermalize! lol... Sadly, though I became alergic to it. I am like it with all plasters/micropore etc... I can only use Zinc Oxide tape now-a-days. You use minimal aftercare with the protective film guards etc... That is brilliant if you can get on with it. I really do not know if I could have my hands ever tattooed as I wash them way too much.
    Last edited by Mazzy; 02-12-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Right side -Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, "Paw" print piercing on the flat of my ear, Tragus, Nostril, Helix and Eyebrow.

Quite a few Tattoo's.

Shame you didn't get on with the Dermalize. Reactions obviously can happen and clearly you had the good sense to remove it. It's quite rare but can happen. Hopefully the irritation has calmed now.
    Hope your new colour touch-ups heal well and look fresh!
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings:
    Left Ear: 0g (8mm) & 2g (6mm) tunnels in lobe
    Right Ear: 12g (2mm) Segment in scapha/helix cartilage
    Left Nipple: 6g (4mm) circular barbell
    Right Nipple: 10g (2.4mm) barbell
    Navel: 10g (2.4mm) BCR
    PA: 4g (5mm) Chunk BCR
    Lorum: 14g (1.6mm) BCR
    Hafada: 2x 14g (1.6mm) BCR

Tattoos:
    Left Arm: Tiki Island and Marine Life Sleeve
    Right Arm: Cosmic Space Sleeve
    Right Lower Leg: Aztec inspired 'Quetzalcoatl' Feathered Serpent

I used Tegaderm once but just didn't like it much. I am also allergic to many adhesives so was wary anyway. I tend to just use sarin and micropore as long as it's not on my skin or zinc oxide tape if it had to go on my skin.

I do wish places would test dermal films or warn people as adhesive allergies/reactions are actually more common than people realise.

Sorry, to hear you are the same allergy wise Boo. It is so annoying.

I was very much warned by my Tattooist to keep an eye on the tattoo protective wrap. It looks to me as if the adhesive was so strong that it took some of my skin off rather than being totally allergic this time. (Or it was just the start of it all). It had to come off anyway in the end.

I e-mailed another company that sold another protective wrap and they kindly sent me a sample to try. I tried it on my leg for over a day. (I know quite quickly if I am allergic to it). I was not allergic to it and forgot it was there. I have ordered some as I have got a big tattoo on the way. But, what I would like to know is - they put the wrap on when you have had it tattooed and when you get come you clean it and put a new wrap on etc... It says you can now leave it on for 6 days. What on earth happens when your skin starts to peel etc... Or does it not do it so much? Sorry, to ask silly questions but, I don't know.
    Last edited by Mazzy; Today at 01:02 PM.

Quite a few Tattoo's.

Quote Originally Posted by TikiMan View Post
    Shame you didn't get on with the Dermalize. Reactions obviously can happen and clearly you had the good sense to remove it. It's quite rare but can happen. Hopefully the irritation has calmed now.
    Hope your new colour touch-ups heal well and look fresh!
    It was a shame but, I have found another product (very glad). The reaction was not as bad as I usually have - so I caught it in time. I am willing to try anything to be honest. Thank you for hoping my new colour touch-ups heal well and look fresh. It certainly looks much brighter now.
    Last edited by Mazzy; Today at 01:07 PM.

Quite a few Tattoo's.