Thread: The Frustration of Weather Apps

Question The Frustration of Weather Apps

I have a real gripe with weather apps !
    We all know traditional forecasts have always been a guessing game but can suggest possible weather patterns albeit unpredictable. But these days you find every piece of tech screams it at you and it is usually wrong until the next refresh when surprise....it's now correct for 5mins. As for weather warnings....BIG DEAL....what are we supposed to do when we are in an area under warning but we have calm wind, blue sky and warm sunsine? Not go out just in case?
    In my younger day I would race sail boats, windsurf, surf and body board and yes we would check local conditions, follow coastguard or lifeguard advice but that's just common sense. I've also climbed mountains and glaciers and again prepared for all conditions to be as safe as reasonably practicable but would I trust a weather app?
    My answer would be a big NO!

Do you find the weather apps as annoying as me or do you love them?
    Also....
    What is our fascination with the weather all about?
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings:
    Left Ear: 0g (8mm) & 2g (6mm) tunnels in lobe
    Right Ear: 10g (2.4mm) BCR in helix cartilage
    Left Nipple: 6g (4mm) Chunk BCR horizontal
    Right Nipple: 10g (2.4mm) barbell vertical
    Navel: 10g (2.4mm) BCR
    PA: 2g (6mm) BCR
    Lorum: 8g (3.2mm) BCR
    Hafada: 2x 8g (3.2mm) BCR

Tattoos:
    Left Arm: Tiki Island and Marine Life Sleeve
    Right Arm: Cosmic Space Sleeve
    Right Lower Leg: Aztec inspired 'Quetzalcoatl' Feathered Serpent

They are more like craps than apps !

Not to be believed !
    Current : Left ear lobe 18g gold ring 10mm ID,
    Both nipples 10g 12mm ID BCR ,
    Reverse Prince Albert 2g 25mm curved SS Barbell with 11mm balls.
    Septum at 10g Horseshoe !

Retired : Pubic piercing 10g 12mm ID, due to starting Ball Stretching Adventure !

Tattoo's, Upper & lower arms. Upper legs & both shoulders, long forgotten how many hours !

Ball Stretching Weights, 38 x 30 521g & 40 x 15 234g making a total of 755g at present. More to be added !

Lol! I understand, there's that many out there it's crazy and they will no doubt contradict one another. I think the one on my phone is run by the Met Office so somewhat "reliable". I don't mind weather warnings as they can help me plan stuff in advance if needed and I guess they are usually overcautious about them.

I'd just use an app linked to MO and leave it at that. The rest are all guessing/money making nonsense.

Failing that, if you want an app to make you smile then download WTF (What The Forecast). I think it works in the UK. I need to test it out.

Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mouse View Post
    They are more like craps than apps !

Not to be believed !
    Ha..ha... You're right there Mr Mouse imo

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    Lol! I understand, there's that many out there it's crazy and they will no doubt contradict one another. I think the one on my phone is run by the Met Office so somewhat "reliable". I don't mind weather warnings as they can help me plan stuff in advance if needed and I guess they are usually overcautious about them.

I'd just use an app linked to MO and leave it at that. The rest are all guessing/money making nonsense.

Failing that, if you want an app to make you smile then download WTF (What The Forecast). I think it works in the UK. I need to test it out.
    I've actually just uninstalled the MetOffice app as it never seems right where I am. May be we have a little micro climate where we are .
    I wonder if the weather warnings are also to give them a little bit of a shield in this 'where there's blame there's a claim' culture we're in these days.
    Ha...ha... The WTF app at least makes it humorous
    I think generally I'm pretty much prepared for what nature throws at me.
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings:
    Left Ear: 0g (8mm) & 2g (6mm) tunnels in lobe
    Right Ear: 10g (2.4mm) BCR in helix cartilage
    Left Nipple: 6g (4mm) Chunk BCR horizontal
    Right Nipple: 10g (2.4mm) barbell vertical
    Navel: 10g (2.4mm) BCR
    PA: 2g (6mm) BCR
    Lorum: 8g (3.2mm) BCR
    Hafada: 2x 8g (3.2mm) BCR

Tattoos:
    Left Arm: Tiki Island and Marine Life Sleeve
    Right Arm: Cosmic Space Sleeve
    Right Lower Leg: Aztec inspired 'Quetzalcoatl' Feathered Serpent

OMG - I've been saying this for ages! I thought I was alone.

I definitely think weather forecasts have got worse. I think they rely on computer models these days which are really inaccurate whereas in the old days actual people did the forecasting which they did based on years of experience. They probably couldn't tell you how they knew what the weather held, they just knew and unfortunately, that can't be coded into a computer.

They just issue weather warnings at the slightest hint of any adverse weather because the average member of the public is too stupid to cope so hopefully they might be a little more prepared or just stay indoors.

I just use the forecast as a rough guide. I do a bit of hillwalking and I heartily recommend the MWIS who seem to actually know what they are talking about - one to bear in mind if you are ever planning on going hillwalking. They should offer a lowland weather service!
    Got: double snakebites|central lip|labret|1.6mm and 5mm tongue|philtrum|angel bites|smiley|septum|3 pairs nostrils|3 pairs eyebrows|bridge|15 & 16 (l&r) lobe/cartilage, rook, 2x tragus, 3x forward helix, conch (both ears symmetrical)|3x navel (74 holes in total)Want: Everything, slowly building up my piercings over time.Next up: venoms; maybe something genital

Quote Originally Posted by TikiMan View Post
    I've actually just uninstalled the MetOffice app as it never seems right where I am. May be we have a little micro climate where we are .
    I wonder if the weather warnings are also to give them a little bit of a shield in this 'where there's blame there's a claim' culture we're in these days.
    Ha...ha... The WTF app at least makes it humorous
    I think generally I'm pretty much prepared for what nature throws at me.
    Oh heck lol, tbh I only take notice if anything severe pops up so I can keep an eye on my mum and make sure she's ok and get her shopping in etc as she won't be able to go out in severe weather. She's by no means stupid but she is physically disabled and partially sighted and as she lives alone can't stock up on fresh produce. Our street has only ever got bad enough twice in over 10 years that cars got stuck so it's no major issue for us. I know for some of my friends up on the moors even just average snow can be an issue sometimes. Just helps with a bit of forward planning if the worst happens.

Other than that I don't really take much notice, it is what it is, I don't let it bother me.
    Last edited by Boo; 02-03-2019 at 03:55 PM.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<