Thread: How do i keep painted wood plugs from staining?

Default How do i keep painted wood plugs from staining?

Hi guys/gals!
    I'm not even sure this is the right place to ask but there has to be someone with a similar problem somewhere so i'll give it a shot.
    I ordered a nice wooden plug with white painted on flowers, but it got stained to pink in a few weeks because i use red manic panic hair dye and it "leaks" every time it gets wet, so even if i take it out in the shower i'm still screwed if i sweat a lot or get caught in the rain.
    Do you guys know any coating that will prevent the dye from staining the wood paint? I was thinking nail polish because even if it stains i can wash it off but i'm afraid the remover might damage the white paint too.

My only thought was clear nail polish or clear craft varnish. Without knowing exactly what the maker used it's impossible to know how it may react.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 6mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Okay experiment time for future reference.
    The plug has a flower on both sides so i painted one with nail polish and covered the whole thing with Manic Panic Amplified Vampire Red for about an hour.
    I expected the polish to take a little stain but NOTHING, it's pretty neat.
    Also, the other side got stained from pink to this very pretty dark hot pink-red-ish and look freaking awesome so it's a win-win.
    The polish remover (has aceton) does remove the black paint from the edge of the plug and the cotton pad is a tiny bit grey but it's after a lot of scrubbing so it should handle it.

Personally I would probably avoid a nail varnish and would try a couple of coats of water based polyurethane wood varnish. It would also give a choice of matt, satin (mid-sheen), or gloss finish. Any coating you put on will affect the colour of the wood. May be not by much but natural colours tend to darken down.
    I guess it depends on how organic you want to be too.
    A bit more research into it may be required. Have you asked any organic jewellery suppliers if they have any advice?
    Obviously anything you try needs to be carefully monitored to make sure there are no allergic reaction and the jewellery removed if irritated.

Edit:
    Ha..ha.... Just seen your above post. Sounds like you've sorted it
    Last edited by TikiMan; 01-10-2019 at 07:54 PM.
    Rgdz
    Rich

Piercings:
    Left Ear: 0g (8mm) & 2g (6mm) tunnels in lobe
    Right Ear: 12g (2mm) Segment in scapha/helix cartilage
    Left Nipple: 6g {4mm) circular barbell
    PA: 4g (5mm) Chunk BCR
    Lorum: 14g (1.6mm) BCR
    Hafada: 2x 14g (1.6mm) BCR

Tattoos:
    Left Arm: Tiki Island and Marine Life Sleeve
    Right Arm: Cosmic Space Sleeve
    Right Lower Leg: Aztec inspired 'Quetzalcoatl' Feathered Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by TikiMan View Post
    Personally I would probably avoid a nail varnish and would try a couple of coats of water based polyurethane wood varnish. It would also give a choice of matt, satin (mid-sheen), or gloss finish. Any coating you put on will affect the colour of the wood. May be not by much but natural colours tend to darken down.
    I guess it depends on how organic you want to be too.
    A bit more research into it may be required. Have you asked any organic jewellery suppliers if they have any advice?
    Obviously anything you try needs to be carefully monitored to make sure there are no allergic reaction and the jewellery removed if irritated.

Edit:
    Ha..ha.... Just seen your above post. Sounds like you've sorted it
    Thank you anyway, if i ever get a more expensive piece i will use more serious materials, also i only plan to coat the ends, the part touching my ears will be left bare, that part stayed mostly white anyway.
    Also it's not "nude" wood but painted black and white but i was thinking of getting an actualy wood coloured plug just most doesn't look really good next to my other jewelry.
    EDIT:Yeah the paint is starting to chip off at the edges so i think nail polish remover does screw it up... oh well i hope we have some leftover varnish from building the shed.
    Last edited by Zindi; 01-11-2019 at 12:22 AM.