Thread: Septum piercing pain! Help

Default Septum piercing pain! Help

I got my septum re-pierced on Wednesday afternoon but now I'm in a lot of pain. It hurt a hell of a lot more this time but it seems to be placed properly and much higher up - it was essentially in the skin at the tip of my nose the first time!

It has been OK all day but I just accidentally hit my nose lightly on the outside and OUCHHHH. Soooo painful it made my eyes water and the pain is still lingering. Now even just opening my mouth or moving my head in a certain way makes my whole nose ache and sting where I hit it. It even hurts around my top lip, just moving my head with gravity pulling it :(. There has been no blood or weird discharge though though, just pain with my nose looking a little swollen/red since having it done.

I only got it done about 36 hrs ago, and started cleaning it today with salt water. I can't imagine that it's infected already, and my piercer did mention that it will be swollen and be painful for at least a few days. I mean obviously, there's a hole in my nose.

Is this normal? I know to expect some pain, but I don't remember it being this painful the first time I had it done. I always get anxiety, so really looking for someone to just put me at ease or tell me if I should be worrying or not!
    Last edited by blwjoe; 09-28-2018 at 03:13 AM.

Sounds normal to me but I'm no expert. Everyone has a different experience. I remember mine being sore and painful but I don't remember a whole lot. Horrible with recalling things. Take some ibuprofen if able and give it time. When I had my septum pierced i also had my philtrum pierced so it's kind of hard to tell what was septum pain and what was philtrum pain.
    Left ear: 4 Lobe piercings, 2 Cartilage, Conch, Double Forward Helix, Antitragus and Vertical Industrial
    Right ear: 3 Lobe piercings, Auricle, Helix, Conch x2 and Forward helix
    Facial: Left nostril, Right nostril Septum, Vertical labret and Philtrum
    Want: 4th Lobe, 2nd Foreward Helix, Tragus and Anti-Tragus
    Retired: Naval x2, Right Nostril, Anti-Tragus, and multiple lobe/Auricle piercings
    Tattoos: None but I want some.

Quote Originally Posted by Brit Renee View Post
    Sounds normal to me but I'm no expert. Everyone has a different experience. I remember mine being sore and painful but I don't remember a whole lot. Horrible with recalling things. Take some ibuprofen if able and give it time. When I had my septum pierced i also had my philtrum pierced so it's kind of hard to tell what was septum pain and what was philtrum pain.
    Thanks! It's a bit better today and not hurting when I move my mouth, so I'm guessing it was just the combination of swelling and knocking the area.

Knocking the area isnt any fun at all. But it happens. But its gets better with time and healing.
    Left ear: 4 Lobe piercings, 2 Cartilage, Conch, Double Forward Helix, Antitragus and Vertical Industrial
    Retired: Naval x2, Right Nostril, Anti-Tragus, and multiple lobe/Auricle piercings

Doesn't sound right to me.

There is a "sweet spot" near the tip of your nose where the skin is thin - just below the cartilage where it should be pierced.
    Do a search online for more info.

Is it though the cartilage? Sounds like it might be in which case it isn't right and my advice is to go and see a better piercer.
    Got: double snakebites|central lip|labret|1.6mm and 5mm tongue|philtrum|angel bites|smiley|septum|3 pairs nostrils|3 pairs eyebrows|bridge|15 & 16 (l&r) lobe/cartilage, rook, 2x tragus, 2x forward helix, conch (both ears symmetrical)|3x navel (72 holes in total)Want: Everything, slowly building up my piercings over time.Next up: venoms; maybe something genital, 3rd pair of inner helix piercings

Hi! Quick update, absolutely no pain now. I think I just hit it hard, or was swollen and pressing on a nerve.

I'm glad the pain went away.

Quote Originally Posted by blwjoe View Post
    Hi! Quick update, absolutely no pain now. I think I just hit it hard, or was swollen and pressing on a nerve.
    Yay !!!!
    Current : Left ear lobe 18g gold ring 10mm ID,
    Both nipples 10g 12mm ID BCR ,
    Reverse Prince Albert 2g 25mm curved SS Barbell with 11mm balls.
    Septum at 14g Horseshoe !

Retired : Pubic piercing 10g 12mm ID, due to starting Ball Stretching Adventure !

Tattoo's, Upper & lower arms. Upper legs & both shoulders, long forgotten how many hours !

Ball Stretching Weights, 38 x 30 521g & 40 x 15 234g making a total of 755g at present. More to be added !