Thread: Recycling - What grinds my gears!

Question Recycling - What grinds my gears!

Morning all,

Was reading an article this morning about recycling plastic and why it is so difficult. There are 7 different types of commonly used plastic and every local council (UK) has different regulations and recycling capacity. It is unsurprising therefore that people get confused over what they can recycle and what they can't. This is compounded by people who are either careless or malicious and put general waste in the plastic recycling and also food contamination.
    Food contamination is really my sticking point, I read a very interesting explanation as to why they cannot take recyclables with contamination but I still find it frustrating. Certain things are easy to wash, others not at all, some things are - let's face it revolting, to wash.
    Pizza boxes annoy me the most because apparently the grease from the pizza can make the card non-recyclable - yet the boxes are marked recyclable because it's cardboard. To me this is ridiculous because it's a pizza box, you are unlikely to recycle it before using it for it's intended purpose - therefore perhaps it should be marked non-recyclable?
    I find the whole thing so confusing and when someone tells me something can or can't be recycled at a particular place, it makes me question where I got my information from and maybe I'm wrong.
    I buy fresh rolls from my local Co-Op, they rolls are always put into plastic freezer bag type things, it infuriates me - why can't they use paper bags? I have to collect up all these bags to put them into recycling at Morrisons as that's the only place I know that takes plastic bags for recycle.

I could go on but this is perhaps a really boring topic? What do others think? It's definitely topical with all the terrible pictures in the news of plastic on beaches and poor animals suffering.
    Piercings:
    L Ear: 13mm lobe, 8mm lobe, snug, industrial, daith, tragus
    R Ear: 13mm lobe, 8mm lobe, 4 x helix, rook, tragus
    Other: 6mm Tongue, Septum, bridge/erl, 2 x philtrum

Retired:
    Christina, Left eyebrow, Industrial (R Ear), 5mm lip

Tattoos:
    Star on left forearm
    'Freedom' in script on right forearm
    GITS Neck Ports
    Dragon Quest Slime on left wrist

Other:
    (Semi) Permanent eyeliner and eyebrows

Hi,

Maybe boring but important!

And I totally agree with you!

I've been fighting the recycling war for a long time now. Sometimes I wonder why I bother as seemingly nobody else cares. I looked after a relative's cat recently and I couldn't believe what was in their recycling bin - they were basically treating it like a second general waste bin! I mean, not quite but plenty of non-recyclables in there and nothing was rinsed - not even the slightest effort was made.

Stirling Council used to compost all their waste cardboard and paper - not sure if they still do, better to recycle it but I'm sure they could just as everyone to put food soiled cardboard and paper into the garden waste bin for recycling - simple!

I avoid overpackaged things (Pringles are officially the worst - something like 7 different materials make up the tube so totally non-recyclable). I recycle as much as I possibly can.

Thanks for the Morrisons tip about plastic bags - everywhere else has stopped taking them. I never take a plastic bag but I seem to accumulate lots of them!

Trouble is - plastic waste is old news now. I feel the heat is off it and nobody cares any more.

Yvonne.
    Got: double snakebites|central lip|labret|2x centre tongue|philtrum|angel bites|smiley|septum|3 pairs nostrils|3 pairs eyebrows|bridge|15 & 16 (l&r) lobe/cartilage, rook, 2x tragus, 2x forward helix, conch (both ears symmetrical)|3x navel (72 holes in total)Want: Everything, slowly building up my piercings over time.Next up: venoms; maybe something genital

I also agree with you both on the importance of recycling.
    What I don't understand is why the councils make it hard for themselves?
    In Glasgow, all household recyclables are grouped together in the one waste bin. This is pointless to me as it creates more work in the end.
    Having lived in Sweden now for several years, I don't see why the UK can't take inspiration from here. We have recycling stations almost everywhere, and we separate everything, with clear information on what can and can't be put in each bin.
    When I lived in Glasgow, me and many of my friends wanted to do more, but recycling stations were few and far between - I hope the situation has improved over the years!

Quote Originally Posted by uk_pa_dude View Post
    In Glasgow, all household recyclables are grouped together in the one waste bin.
    That's so weird! Never knew anywhere in the UK was like that! We currently have 4 different bins lol
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

UK Jewellery Network

Firstly, welcome back UK PA Dude!

I've currently got 5 bins and a box. It would have been 6 bins a box and a food recycling caddy!

- cardboard/paper
    - cans/plastics
    - normal waste (new style bin)
    - normal waste (old style bin)
    - garden waste (new style bin)
    - glass box

I've no idea why they are changing the style of bins, nor what they are going to do with the old ones (more plastic to landfill probably)

I compost all my garden waste myself so I told them to take the old garden waste bin away, but despite that, they have given me a new style one.

The only reason I don't have a food recycling caddy is because they can't collect them from rural areas, I wouldn't want one anyway - we work hard to avoid food waste and what little there is either gets composted or fed to the chickens.
    Got: double snakebites|central lip|labret|2x centre tongue|philtrum|angel bites|smiley|septum|3 pairs nostrils|3 pairs eyebrows|bridge|15 & 16 (l&r) lobe/cartilage, rook, 2x tragus, 2x forward helix, conch (both ears symmetrical)|3x navel (72 holes in total)Want: Everything, slowly building up my piercings over time.Next up: venoms; maybe something genital

Its all put in one bin in Lincolnshire too apparently I read. Theres several local councils in the county with different rules on what can be recycled yet all of them take the stuff to the same firm.
    Piercings:
    Nose, tongue, navel, both nipples horizontally, VCH, septum

Tattoos:
    Line of butterflies from lower belly round onto back and up to my shoulder, garter tatt on left thigh.

We only have 3 bins - general, recycling and garden. We moved to another area few months ago (different council) and there's a lot less we can put in our bins now, it's pretty frustrating as our recycling bin is almost empty every time it goes out (every other week), it's a bit ridiculous. At our old house, waste from the bunnies litter trays used to be fine in the garden bin but not any more. I don't know why, it's literally all plant material. I'd love a compost bin but then there's the problem of what to actually do with the compost? Gardening is the obvious answer but I'm useless with plants, I kill everything!
    I'm Sam Come & say hi!
    Twitter Facebook

Nipple Cross. Tongue. Conch. Nostrils. 10mm Lobes. Nipple.

Other than food it goes in one bin here too. The waste is sorted by the contractors at the roadside. Our council though is one of the worst for what it will recycle.
    Caro