Thread: Tried to go up a size and it went wrong.

Default Tried to go up a size and it went wrong.

So one day I ordered 16g surgical stainless steel closure rings from another website ( I honestly feel like they are 14g even though the site calls em 16g but I donít know at all) . When it came in the mail I tried to insert them in my earlobes. I have 3 lobe piercings in both my ears, plus 3 on the upper outer cartilage rim on my left, so I have a total of 9. My first lobe piercing in both ears are the oldest and can handle a 16g in and out no problem. My second lobe piercing in both ears, I couldnít do it at all and it wasnít giving in so I didnít bother to continue. My third lobe piercing in both ears I pushed the closure ring through only because I saw it coming through the back end. My left seemed to take it fairly okay while my right was like nope and now a scab formed in the back of my ear minor redness.

Either way this was the worst mistake anyone can make. I didnít know there was so much more to just going up a small size. I didnít know I had to taper them even when that small. All I wanted was my second and third earlobe piercings to go up a size so they can fit jewlery like my first. I can say I would never do this again with out the help of a shop.

But on to what im worried about. I left the earrings in with out the ball because I was and still am worried about them. I could say the good news is that I donít feel pain. They donít feel hot or itchy and there isnít any pus. What Iím worried about is that scab formation, it hasnít gotten bigger but itís around my ear hole and the back side more so it looks really dark brown. My right has this bump around the hole sorta. Though I had this bump for the longest before I even did this. I wanted to move to a ring because studs were hurting the small bump and made is feel like it was tight.

Ive been treating them like new piercings cleaning them with saline spray and when in the shower antibacterial soap. I have no idea what to do with the small bump on the right because I had it longer than a year but I feel like itís a little annoyance when it comes to puting in jewlery and it doesnít look nice despite it being small. I canít help but think since I went up a size it got bigger??? Or maybe itís because the stud has been covering it for so long???

Yeah I feel completely stupid with what I did. A big mistake. But any suggestions and help would be very kind of you.

I'd say go see a good piercer.
    I am surprised you couldn't go up a size even without a taper - assuming all piercings are well healed.
    Some lubrication is also recommended.

I'd probably not bother with the antibacterial soap and personally wouldn't even bother with the saline - just LITHA and see how it goes.

I've had bumps come and go for no apparent reason over the years - swapping to a ring may be a good idea, or even putting larger balls on the bars (assuming you are not just using regular earrings, in which case I would swap to proper piercing jewellery.

One final thought - although if it is only one hole that is giving you bother, it might not be this - but could it be a nickel intolerance? Maybe try titanium jewellery?

Let us know how you get on.
    Got: double snakebites|central lip|labret|2x centre tongue|philtrum|angel bites|smiley|septum|3 pairs nostrils|3 pairs eyebrows|bridge|15 & 16 (l&r) lobe/cartilage, rook, 2x tragus, 2x forward helix, conch (both ears symmetrical)|3x navel (72 holes in total)Want: Everything, slowly building up my piercings over time.Next up: venoms; maybe something genital

Update:

I’ve gone to a piercer and they said it wasn’t infected, to treat it like a new piercing and continue to clean it like I have been. They then told me to stay with the closure rings that are already in my ear and to come back next week to see if any changes. Even though the bump on my right ear has been there before I did this fiasco I asked what can I do and they said surgery. Which I think is rather drastic for something so small??? It’s a flesh colored bump. I’ve been cleaning it normally like the told me because it’s been helping it from what I noticed. The scab completely fell off on it’s own so now it looks sorta normal still a little red and dry. As for the bump I was told by someone to massage it with jojoba oil?? But yeah still unsure.

This sounds similar to what I did with my piercings.
    Left ear: 4 Lobe piercings, Auricle, Helix, Conch, Double Forward Helix and Vertical Industrial
    Right ear: 3 Lobe piercings, Auricle, Helix, Conch x2 and Forward helix
    Facial: Left nostril, Right nostril Septum, Vertical labret and Philtrum
    Want: 4th Lobe, 2nd Foreward Helix, Tragus and Anti-Tragus
    Retired: Naval x2, Right Nostril, Anti-Tragus, and multiple lobe/Auricle piercings
    Tattoos: None but I want some.

Update:

As I said before on left ear lobe the scab completely is gone . Both third ear lobe piercings show hardly any feeling signs of soreness anymore maybe a little. They get red when cleaning but that’s common I guess? The only thing now is that in the back of both ears there is this raised skin whitish ring around the piercing hole. I’ve never seen this before so I have no clue what it could be or if its a problem? I think I might be allergic to the jewlery? Yet I still am not sure about this either? As when I ever wore cheap jewelry i knew instantly and I would feel this itch. With this there is hardly to any itching. Maybe occasionally but that could be because it’s dry or healing? I’m going to the professional piercer today and I’ll update with whatever the piercer says. Yet help would still be nice.

Update with seeing a professional:

I went back because they asked me to come back to check on it anyways. I did express my concerns still but the women who looked at me said I was fine and it’s part of the healing process. Yet this is the first time I’ve ever seen my ears heal this way but this is also the first time I went up a size so idk? So I guess everything is good and I can continue to clean my ears as normal. I’m just a little saddened by the fact now I have to deal with just having a closure ring in my thirds that i refuse to put the ball in because I might aggravate it. Then studs on my second and first.
    Im just wondering how long will this take to heal so I can go get my seconds tapered. My guess is 3 months??? So 3 months of looking weird...
    Last edited by Mid; 08-15-2018 at 06:10 AM.