Thread: Septum or Nostril

Default Septum or Nostril

So I am planning on getting a piercing for my 19th birthday with some extra money from house sitting. The only issue is I am torn on what to get. Nostril piercings are mainstream and accepted, but a simple septum hoop is so pretty. The issue comes in with my career path, I am going into youth work and possibly youth ministry. My service practicum is at a church, and while I would hope they would be accepting I am worried about having anything too obvious on my face as many elders are still conservative. I could forget about the hoop and just flip up the horseshoe, but I have always prefered hoops.

What is the smallest guage a septum could be pierced at and can they heal with a hoop? Also how well are septums recieved in more conservative atmospheres?
    Next what is a good size for a nostril to be visible but not obvious?
    I am not worried about them in general as Vancouver is a very liberal city, I just want to make sure whatever I get can be hidden or at the very least made less noticable in more conservative enviornments.

I got my septum pierced around 4 weeks ago, I had a horseshoe fitted so I can flip it up for work ! It's working very well at present !
    Current : Left ear lobe 18g gold ring 10mm ID,
    Both nipples 10g 12mm ID BCR ,
    Reverse Prince Albert 2g 25mm curved SS Barbell with 11mm balls.
    Septum at 14g Horseshoe !

Retired : Pubic piercing 10g 12mm ID, due to starting Ball Stretching Adventure !

Tattoo's, Upper & lower arms. Upper legs & both shoulders, long forgotten how many hours !

Ball Stretching Weights, 38 x 30 521g & 40 x 15 234g making a total of 755g at present. More to be added !

Quote Originally Posted by ChescaCat View Post
    So I am planning on getting a piercing for my 19th birthday with some extra money from house sitting. The only issue is I am torn on what to get. Nostril piercings are mainstream and accepted, but a simple septum hoop is so pretty. The issue comes in with my career path, I am going into youth work and possibly youth ministry. My service practicum is at a church, and while I would hope they would be accepting I am worried about having anything too obvious on my face as many elders are still conservative. I could forget about the hoop and just flip up the horseshoe, but I have always prefered hoops.

What is the smallest guage a septum could be pierced at and can they heal with a hoop? Also how well are septums recieved in more conservative atmospheres?
    Next what is a good size for a nostril to be visible but not obvious?
    I am not worried about them in general as Vancouver is a very liberal city, I just want to make sure whatever I get can be hidden or at the very least made less noticable in more conservative enviornments.

I've got both and they're quite different piercings for me.

Got my nostril done 9 years ago and wore a stud in it for years and despite working in a professional environment I've had no problems wearing a discreet stud. Nobody has ever said anything. I have worn a hoop at work for about 2 weeks in total but never feel comfortable doing so, so switch between a stud for work and a hoop at weekends etc.

General advice is to get pierced with a stud as far as I'm aware....defo is at the place I get my piercings.

I got my septum done this year and flip it up for work and nobody knows about it. Tbh its flipped up a lot of the time anyway as I prefer how it looks when I'm wearing a stud in my nostril but prefer to wear a hoop in my nostril. I'm confusing myself now!

Think my nose was pierced at 18 gauge but i wear 20 gauge. My studs are all about 1.5mm as I like dainty stuff.

Defo a septum is the "edgier" piercing and gets a few comments, but I absolutely love my nostril piercing and can't imagine ever not having it. The septum i think will be more of a passing thing for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide to get.....I'm sure you'll be v pleased with it.
    Piercings:
    Nose, tongue, navel, both nipples horizontally, VCH, septum

Tattoos:
    Line of butterflies from lower belly round onto back and up to my shoulder

Interesting isn't it ? I have fancied getting a nose piercing for some time now! I tend to think about my piercings for ages before going ahead with them, I'm not sure at quite what point I flip & go get them done ? But once I have made up my mind I go for it ! I have fancied a nose piercing for a long time, I was thinking about a nostril ? But eventually decided what the hell let's go for the septum as they are nowhere near as common & somehow I feel shows more commitment ? I also like the fact that you can completely hide it should you wish to do so !

Whatever you decide to go with ? Best of luck !

Retired : Pubic piercing 10g 12mm ID, due to starting Ball Stretching Adventure !

Tattoo's, Upper & lower arms. Upper legs & both shoulders, long forgotten how many hours !

Ball Stretching Weights, 38 x 30 521g & 40 x 15 234g making a total of 755g at present. More to be added !

I have both my nostril and septum. A septum would be easier to hide if you wear a horseshoe. I wear a captive bead in my septum thats very small and simple. If the bead is in my nose its very discrete. A stud in the nostril is less noticeable then a hoop. But depending on the stud they could be very discrete. I work as a nurse in a nursing home and to my face my residents/patients are accepting of my facial jewelry. I have a philtrum/medusa, septum and each nostril.
    Left ear: 4 Lobe piercings, Auricle, Helix, Conch, Double Forward Helix and Vertical Industrial
    Right ear: 3 Lobe piercings, Auricle, Helix, Conch x2 and Forward helix
    Facial: Left nostril, Right nostril Septum, and Philtrum
    Want: 4th Lobe, 2nd Foreward Helix, Tragus and Anti-Tragus
    Retired: Naval x2, Right Nostril, Anti-Tragus, and multiple lobe/Auricle piercings
    Tattoos: None but I want some.

Thank you for all of the replies! I think I am leaning towards septum right now, it seems very easy to hide and very dainty yet edgy at the same time. How are they to heal? I would be healing it on a college campus.

I also think about piercings for a long time before I get them. It took me a few months to decide to get my second lobes pierced, a year to decide on the industrial, and now I think after over 2 years if thinking the septum will be next. I am super excited since I am currently $100 away from a free piercing. I may have to wait until early September to pierce it but I am so excited. I have read about 20 diaries on here.

my septum will be 2 years old come the beginning of December. I had no difficulties with healing my septum. Its a pretty easy piercing if its pierced right correct. Im more impulsive with my piercings i guess. I have a vertical industrial that is 2 months old, a 4th lobe and forward helix that is 1 month old and now looking into getting another one or two next week. All in my left ear.
    Left ear: 4 Lobe piercings, Auricle, Helix, Conch, Double Forward Helix and Vertical Industrial
    Right ear: 3 Lobe piercings, Auricle, Helix, Conch x2 and Forward helix
    Facial: Left nostril, Right nostril Septum, and Philtrum
    Want: 4th Lobe, 2nd Foreward Helix, Tragus and Anti-Tragus
    Retired: Naval x2, Right Nostril, Anti-Tragus, and multiple lobe/Auricle piercings
    Tattoos: None but I want some.

Quote Originally Posted by ChescaCat View Post
    Thank you for all of the replies! I think I am leaning towards septum right now, it seems very easy to hide and very dainty yet edgy at the same time. How are they to heal? I would be healing it on a college campus.

I also think about piercings for a long time before I get them. It took me a few months to decide to get my second lobes pierced, a year to decide on the industrial, and now I think after over 2 years if thinking the septum will be next. I am super excited since I am currently $100 away from a free piercing. I may have to wait until early September to pierce it but I am so excited. I have read about 20 diaries on here.
    Well my septum piercing will be 5 weeks old this coming Tuesday, I'm guessing it's not actually fully healed yet ? But it certainly feels like it could be ! My piercer said not to change out the jewellery until it's 3 months old, unless there were any issues that dictated a change of course ? I have been cleaning it with a boiled water SSS but after 2 weeks changed to just cooled boiled water, at around 3 weeks I started to apply Emu oil but other than that it's been an easy ride !

Hi ChescaCat!

I had my septum pierced two weeks ago, it's a pretty much easy healer. Actually I kept it up most of this time since it actually healed easier tucked in there, without the whole knocking, moving and swelling.

It's down now finally and it already feels much better, like half way to being healed. I soak it twice a day with SSS and otherwise I leave it alone. You'll just need an extra stash of q-tips and you'll be fine.

Let us know what you decided ��
    A beginner really

Right ear: two lobes, helix and daith
    Left ear: three lobes and tragus
    Nose: septum

Not sure if you've made up your mind yet or not.....

I have a septum piercing, with a horseshoe shaped ring, I think they're also called curved barbells. The advantage is, as you say, it can be flipped up out of the way and nobody will know it's there. Healing is very straightforward. Mine is 1.6mm which I think is about the standard size and my diary might be one of the ones you've already read(?).

You are right to carefully consider the reactions you might get to such a piercing. The last thing you want to do is damage your career at the start. When you mention your line of work I think you are definitely right to be cautious and respectful as the last thing you want is to be labelled as being rebellious in a conservative environment. So flipping a septum piercing up while you're at work, flipping it down afterwards seems a good solution.

In terms of healing, as others have said the septum piercing is straight forward. I had a runny nose for several weeks and I don't think I had a cold, so be prepared and I hope this might help. Good luck if you do decide to go ahead.
    Piercings: navel, septum
    Retired piercings: PA (had for 10+ years), nipples (had for 5 years)