Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week Old Tattoo Aftercare

Senior Member AliceinWonderland's Avatar

Default Week Old Tattoo Aftercare

Hi guys!

It's been a while since I've visited the forum. Hope you are all doing well?

I got a new half sleeve tattoo done, exactly one week ago today. I was told not to use Bepanthen cream, and instead they offered me tattoo aftercare for R200 which is expensive (about 11 pounds converted, I think) so I declined. I read an article that listed reasons why coconut oil is a good option for a new tattoo, so that is what I've been using up until now. One good thing I've noticed, is that there is no itching!

My question is, how long does a new tattoo need to be kept moisturized for?
    ~~Piercings~~
    Currently none.

~~Tattoos~~
    Koi fish half sleeve on left arm and hand.

Tbh anyone with tattoos should use a moisturiser all the time and an SPF if going outside to keep their tattoos looking as good as they possibly can.

Not everyone does this of course

Moisturise it for as long as you feel like it although I tend to keep on top of moisturising for a good 3-4 weeks depending on the tattoo.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

UK Jewellery Network

I'll keep it up then! Thank you for your reply, Hazel.
    ~~Piercings~~
    Currently none.

~~Tattoos~~

No problem! I use Soothing MSM cream by MooGoo as a basic moisturiser by far the most amazing thing I've ever used on tattoos. Coconut oil is comodogenic so I would never use it on a tattoo personally until it was well well healed but some people love it.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

UK Jewellery Network

Quote Originally Posted by AliceinWonderland View Post
    Hi guys!

It's been a while since I've visited the forum. Hope you are all doing well?

I got a new half sleeve tattoo done, exactly one week ago today. I was told not to use Bepanthen cream, and instead they offered me tattoo aftercare for R200 which is expensive (about 11 pounds converted, I think) so I declined. I read an article that listed reasons why coconut oil is a good option for a new tattoo, so that is what I've been using up until now. One good thing I've noticed, is that there is no itching!

My question is, how long does a new tattoo need to be kept moisturized for?
    Welcome back hun x. Love to hear about your sleeve.
    Piercings:
    Nose, tongue, navel, both nipples horizontally, VCH, septum

Tattoos:
    Line of butterflies from lower belly round onto back and up to my shoulder, garter tatt on left thigh.

Thank you! Happy to see you still on the forum!

Here’s a couple pics taken 6 days ago.

~~Piercings~~
    Currently none.

~~Tattoos~~

Look amazing!!

What happened with your piercings?
    Piercings:
    Nose, tongue, navel, both nipples horizontally, VCH, septum

Tattoos:
    Line of butterflies from lower belly round onto back and up to my shoulder, garter tatt on left thigh.

Your Tattoo looks so cool!
    Left side - Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, Helix, Rook, Lower Conch and Double Tragus.

Right side -Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, "Paw" print piercing on the flat of my ear, Tragus, Nostril, Helix and Eyebrow.

Retired - Right Eyebrow but, re-pierced next to the retired one.

Quite a few Tattoo's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Tbh anyone with tattoos should use a moisturiser all the time and an SPF if going outside to keep their tattoos looking as good as they possibly can.

Not everyone does this of course

Moisturise it for as long as you feel like it although I tend to keep on top of moisturising for a good 3-4 weeks depending on the tattoo.
    I do the cover up my Tattoos as much as I can/sun block factor 50+ if I go out etc... Well, to be honest my mobility is not very good so, I do avoid going out anyway but, I am now low in my Vitamin D so, I can't win lol... G.P told me to get 5 minutes of sun three times a day with no sun protection on which, is impossible as I burn within that time. But, please you must all use sunblock! I still cover up as I used to and always have done.

Moisturising wise I use Tattoo Goo products until the tattoo stops shedding (would like to find something better but allergic to a lot of things). Then I moisturise every night. I have found when healed "Childs Farm Sensitive baby moisturiser" excellent. It is the one from Boots that has had all the hype recently. It costs less than 4.

I must be doing something right as I have been told by various tattoo artists that my tattoos look good and well looked after.
    Last edited by Mazzy; 08-07-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    Left side - Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, Helix, Rook, Lower Conch and Double Tragus.

Right side -Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, "Paw" print piercing on the flat of my ear, Tragus, Nostril, Helix and Eyebrow.

Retired - Right Eyebrow but, re-pierced next to the retired one.

Quite a few Tattoo's.

I'm terrible for moisturising but have ridiculously soft skin. My tattoos look great as far as I'm concerned, even those that are several years old. But who knows, maybe they would look spectacular if I used an SPF moisturiser every single day? It's just not something I have time for nor am I out enough haha!

As for Vitamin D I know the feeling. I was so deficient my reading was virtually less than 10. I had to take 60,000ui a week for several weeks to try and even get it back up a little bit. Even now I take 3000ui as standard daily and go on a sunny holiday at least once a year and make sure to sit out for 5 mins a day 2 or 3 times for 6-7 days and that can boost me for a good length of time (several months).

Problem is with GPs saying "go in the sun" in the UK is that for the vast majority of the day the sun isn't even in the right position for you to gain any benefit from it. It also needs to be a cloudless day with no haze otherwise you're not getting any vitamin D whatsoever. I use an Azimuth chart (used by observatories and the Navy) to work out the times of day for VitD exposure. So many people think being outside in the general daytime will help them when most of the time here in the UK it won't do a damn thing for VitD. That's why the majority of people in the UK have low VitD, some have deficiency and some are dangerously deficient with horrible side effects (like me).

As for sunscreen and VitD you can still wear sunscreen/sunblock and benefit from VitD as long as you're out at the right time on a clear day. No product will block 100% UVB rays. This has been proven by scientific studies (Harvard et al) so again, GPs can have a huge misunderstanding of it unfortunately. They probably told you that because most people in the UK wouldn't burn in less than 5 mins in our weather but it's a blanket statement and shouldn't apply to all.
    Last edited by Hazel; 08-07-2018 at 11:56 PM.

UK Jewellery Network

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast