Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A tongue piercing diary

Default A tongue piercing diary

Today I got my tongue pierced at Adorn in Shrewsbury, Shropshire. The piercer was Breo, who up-sized my septum piercing a couple of months ago.

I've liked tongue piercings for ages. I thought about having it done last summer, but chickened out. Since January of this year, I've really wanted to get it done.

The appointment was scheduled for 2.50pm, but I was a bit late going in. Breo explained everything in quite a lot of depth and got me to gargle with mouthwash for 30 seconds. The underside and top of my tongue were marked and I was given a mirror so I could see where the piercing would be placed.

I was told to lie down and some pieces of fabric with a hole for my tongue were layered over my face. This felt rather strange. Next, I was told to breathe in, and then out. As I did this, I felt a very brief, sharp pain. This was the needle going through. The jewellery (a normal titanium barbell - 2mm/12ga, 18mm length) was inserted and the ends tightened up. I'd actually done it! Up until I went in to the shop, I wasn't sure whether I would.

I was asked to sit up and Breo cleaned up a few drops of blood and drool. I was then handed the mirror again and took a look inside my mouth. Yes, I'd had my tongue pierced. It felt very strange. I felt a strange compulsion to keep looking at it in the mirror. I was told to come back for a downsize in 15-20 days. I really hope it's not that long!

I then paid (30 for the piercing, plus 5 for the jewellery) and left. By the time I got back to my car, my tongue had swollen to such an extent that I could hardly see the ends of the jewellery. I also had a lot of saliva in my mouth and swallowing it was tricky. I took some ibuprofen before setting off home, stopping off at the supermarket on the way for some ice cream and soup.

By the time I got home, I'd got a bit better at swallowing, though there was still plenty of saliva around. I also took some arnica and tried a chamomile tea soak. Dinner was soup, followed by ice cream and yoghurt. Not particularly nice.

My tongue is currently a very strange shape. It's also rather tricky to stick out. I can see a bit more of the ends of the balls than I could earlier. My speech isn't too bad. It does sound a bit odd from time, but nothing terrible.

Hopefully things will start to settle down in a couple of days and the swelling will start to lessen. Fortunately I don't have to go to work for a week!
    Current: septum (10g/2.4mm), tongue (12g/2mm).
    Retired: nipples.
    Considering: nipples.

Day 2 - I had a terrible night's sleep for some reason. My tongue didn't hurt or anything - I just couldn't drop off for hours.

Anyway, my tongue is still very swollen. I find moving it a bit easier and from the underside it looks a bit more normal. I still can't see any of the bar though - just the balls. My tongue is still a bit white on top and a little yellow down below. The edges have marks from where my teeth have been resting.

Eating-wise, I managed some cereal this morning and a sandwich at lunchtime. Dinner was soup, ice cream and yoghurt again. I keep thinking I've not swallowed all my food or that there's something stuck to my tongue, but it's just the top ball.

I've been persisting with drinking plenty of water (nearly three litres today), ibuprofen, arnica and have started sucking ice.

Having looked at the range of jewellery suitable for tongue piercings, I find myself wishing I'd been pierced at 1.6mm/14g, not 2mm/12g. There is much more choice in the smaller size, so I may well downsize at the earliest opportunity.

Day 3 has been fairly similar to day 2, but I did manage to sleep pretty well (for me) last night. My diet has been largely the same, though I did manage some thin slices of cheese in my lunchtime sandwich. I'm still taking ibuprofen and arnica, sucking on ice and drinking copious amounts of water, and I have also started drinking chamomile tea.

I had to go out for the first time since having the piercing and had to talk to people, both face to face and over the phone. Talking still feels strange. The top ball of the barbell rubs against the roof of my mouth, which is a weird sensation - it feels like I've got a blister on my tongue.

I think the swelling has gone down a tiny bit since the previous day: I can see more of the balls and depending on how I move my tongue, I can see a small bit of the bar, but not much. All in all, the swelling has been worse than I hoped but better than I feared.

Swelling still pretty much the same on day 4. Perhaps a tiny bit more of the ball is available, but not much. I really want it to start going down a bit quicker!

I got fed up with soup, so managed some cold quiche for dinner. Otherwise, my diet is pretty much the same. Eating isn't so bad now.

Day 5 was a lot like day 4. Swelling has gone down a bit more, diet is improved, but talking is still weird.

Thank you so much for this diary and congratulations for the new piercing! If you have time, please continue with the writing! I am contemplating the tongue or a tongue web pierced soon, but I'd love to hear more experiences.

I know it's still swollen, but is it likely to be going to catch your teeth anyhow, can you tell?
    A beginner really

Right ear: two lobes, helix and daith
    Left ear: three lobes and tragus
    Nose: septum

It's been a week now, and the swelling is continuing to go down, though still not particularly quickly. If I stick my tongue out, I can see around 3mm of bar, which is definitely more than was visible a few days ago. There is still some swelling, mainly in the centre of my tongue. I find it hard to remember how it was before the piercing to compare. I was really hoping to be able to change to a smaller bar this weekend, but I still don't think I'm ready, so it'll have to be next weekend. I'm going to ask if I can have smaller balls on the new jewellery, as the current ones are quite big (5mm).

I'm a little surprised to have made it to a week, to be honest. There have been a number of occasions when I've seriously thought about taking it out, especially when the swelling didn't seem to be going down. I'm going to persist with it, as I'm sure I'd regret taking it out. I wouldn't say I "like" the piercing yet - I'm fairly indifferent to it at the moment.

I'm still drinking loads of cold water, sucking on ice, taking ibuprofen and so on. I'm back at work next week, so after tomorrow, this will change - I'll continue with ibuprofen and arnica, but ice cubes will have to come to an end. Eating is no problem at all - there isn't any bar visible above my tongue, so there's only the top ball showing, which doesn't interfere with chewing at all. I'm avoiding a few harder foods, but am more or less eating normally again.

Daisie: if my tongue is in my mouth in its normal position, it doesn't catch my teeth, even with the long bar. The top of the bar is further back than the bottom, so it's well clear of my teeth. If I move my tongue to one side inside my mouth, I can knock the jewellery against the inside of my teeth. I can only catch it when I put my tongue out, which I'm only doing to clean my tongue with a brush or when I'm trying to see how much of the bar is visible. The worse thing about it is that the longer bar rubs against the roof of my mouth, but hopefully when the jewellery is changed that will no longer be an issue.
    Last edited by Aley75; 07-01-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks for an update and let us know about the experience when you change it to a shorter bar!

So, when you eat or talk, it doesn't mess with your teeth at all? What about chewing, did you need some time to adjust not to bite it accidentally? My teeth are pretty much fragile no matter the care and the dentists, so that's why I am a bit concerned.
    A beginner really

Today, I made an appointment with the piercer for a down-size on Saturday. The swelling is much better now - if I put my tongue out and rest the jewellery on my lower lip to push the bar upwards, there's about 5mm or so of bar showing. I continued with taking ibuprofen and arnica today whilst at work, but I've not done anything more.

Daisie: eating is fine, it's like it's not there at all. If I open my mouth, all I can see is the top ball - none of the bar is visible unless I lift up my tongue or stick it out. When talking, I occasionally hit my teeth with the balls - I'm hoping that will stop when the barbell is changed and if I can swap to some smaller ends. I'm being careful when chewing, but it hasn't been that difficult to adjust. I initially just ate soup, ice cream and yoghurt. I gradually started introducing other food - bread, cereal, thinly-sliced cheese and so on. It helped at the start to put the food to one side of my mouth, well away from the piercing. One thing I did notice today is that if I want to use my tongue to remove food from my teeth after I've finished eating, the jewellery tends to get in the way.

Thank you for all your updates and answers!

I'll go with the tongue web first I think, and in the future, who knows, maybe I would try the tongue too. I am doing a job that requires lots of speaking, lots of hours a day, so that's also why I want to assess all the pros and cons, and that's also why I can do oral piercings mostly in the summer, when I am having the only time off from work.

But I love it, it looks great and it must be a lot of fun having it!
    A beginner really

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast