Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A tongue piercing diary

Saturday was jewellery change day. Breo was very pleased with how the piercing was healing. Initially he wasn't going to change the jewellery, but when I asked him to (mentioning that the top ball rubs on the roof of my mouth), he took the initial jewellery out and swapped it for a 16mm long bar (instead of 18mm). He also downsized the ball on the bottom, so I have a 5mm ball on the top and a 4mm (or so) one on the bottom.

I'm still not convinced about this piercing. I like the way it looks, but I do find it a bit annoying. It's fine when eating, but if I try to move my tongue around in my mouth (e.g. to try and get food off my teeth), it really gets in the way. I also don't think it's quite straight and the different sized balls clash with my OCD. The balls clack against my teeth as well, and I'm worried that I'll damage them.

I don't really want to take it out, but I may change it to a PTFE barbell instead and see how that goes.
    Current: septum (10g/2.4mm), tongue (12g/2mm).
    Retired: nipples.
    Considering: nipples.

Nice to read your experience Aley75, thank you for the regular posts - lookin' forward to the next.

Hope you don't mind me asking about this piercing as I'm sort of intrigued for myself. How noticeable is the piercing for other people? From your voice and can it be seen? What reactions (if any) have you had from your work colleagues, friends, family etc? You say you're not convinced by the piercing, is that changing at all?
    Piercings: navel, septum
    Retired piercings: PA (had for 10+ years), nipples (had for 5 years)

A few days ago, I did try changing to a PTFE barbell. I managed to remove the titanium barbell out and the stem of a PTFE one back in, but trying to attach the push-fit balls was more than a little tricky, so I gave up on that. I then took the smaller ball off the original barbell, re-inserted it and spent about 20 minutes (!) trying to re-attach a larger ball. So at least my OCD is happy.

mat:

At the start, my speech was a little different (particularly on "L"s and "th"s) but as the swelling went down, it went back to normal. I'm usually fairly careful when enunicating my words anyway, so it really wasn't that bad. I made sure to talk to myself (more than usual) to practice speaking with the piercing in. I'm not sure how noticeable it is. I don't open my mouth a lot when speaking, and I don't talk that much at the best of times. I'm sure some people (e.g. in shops where I'm less bothered about it showing) might have noticed, but no-one has commented. I'm sure that most people who know me would be surprised if they learned I had a tongue piercing.

My thoughts about the piercing in general haven't really changed much. I still like the way it looks, but I haven't yet warmed to it in the same way that I have my septum piercing. The tongue jewellery still gets in the way a bit and still clacks when I talk. I am also dreading the reaction that people from work and family will have when/if they do notice the piercing (I think I've been lucky so far).

I'm glad I had it done and didn't chicken out. I'd rather have it done and regret it afterwards than not have it done at all and regret it when I'm on my deathbed, thinking about all the things that happened in my life.

Thanks Aley75, really appreciate your frankness and, as always, the detail.

I guess a tongue piercing is one that you kinda always know is there, is that right? I ask as I like the feel of my piercings (although out of my piercings, my navel is the one which is the less 'sensitive'). In other words, I have my piercings for the feel of them, just as much as the look of them. Does this make sense?

Alsof you prefer it to be less visible, would you consider a different colour?

I don't know if this would help with re-attaching the balls in future as I had a similar problem with my septum in the early stages. I got a blob of blu-tac and stuck it to the end of a pen, then stuck the ball onto the blu-tac. Worked a treat.

It's been a couple of months now since my last post, and I still have the piercing. I did seriously consider taking it out at one point, but decided against it. I actually quite like it now, and I'm much more used to it. It doesn't clack against my teeth so much when I talk. I can feel it's there most of the time, but it feels quite normal having it now. I'm still on the 16mm bar I had for the downsize. I still clean the jewellery most nights with a toothbrush and check the balls for tightness every couple of days.

Whilst it's been plain sailing for most of the time, I did have a bit of a scare on Tuesday. I had a dentist's appointment, so took the piercing out right before I went in (I didn't want to get any negative comments from my dentist). Unfortunately I was 25 minutes late being seen, plus another 15 minutes with my mouth wide open. By the time I'd got home, I couldn't get the jewellery back in from the bottom. I tried with a narrower gauge Bioplast bar, to no avail. I found I could get it in a little way from the top, but it wouldn't go in any further. Eventually (around 20 minutes later), I finally got the Bioplast bar through all the way, but it took a fair amount of effort. I then swapped over to my normal titanium barbell, which did go in after a few attempts. My tongue was a bit grumpy for a few days afterwards. I think I'll be leaving it in next time I go (two weeks' time), and will steel myself for disapproving looks and/or comments.

I value these updates and to know how this piercing is going, thank you again for all of these posts.

So I guess you've been to the dentist now, did you leave it in? Was anything said?

Tbh it's best your dentist knows you have a tongue piercing, if they're a professional they shouldn't say a damn thing (unless it's relevant) and if they do then tell them off! My husband has a split tongue and saw the head of a good dentist surgery a couple of years ago, he didn't bat an eyelid.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

UK Jewellery Network

Quote Originally Posted by mat View Post
    I value these updates and to know how this piercing is going, thank you again for all of these posts.

So I guess you've been to the dentist now, did you leave it in? Was anything said?
    I ended up at the Doctors earlier this year as my Conch wasn't very good. I was worried it was an infection but, it was just a big bump (still there now). I said to the Nurse "I am so surprised that you didn't judge me for my piercing as is isn't really a normal lobe." The Nurse said "I cannot judge and to tell you the truth everyone is getting them." Also had the same reply from a G.P about my tattoos. One says to me "have you had anymore art work since I last saw you." lol...
    Left side - Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, Helix, Rook, Lower Conch and Double Tragus.

Right side -Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, "Paw" print piercing on the flat of my ear, Tragus, Nostril, Helix and Eyebrow.

Retired - Right Eyebrow but, re-pierced next to the retired one.

Quite a few Tattoo's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12