Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A tongue piercing diary

Saturday was jewellery change day. Breo was very pleased with how the piercing was healing. Initially he wasn't going to change the jewellery, but when I asked him to (mentioning that the top ball rubs on the roof of my mouth), he took the initial jewellery out and swapped it for a 16mm long bar (instead of 18mm). He also downsized the ball on the bottom, so I have a 5mm ball on the top and a 4mm (or so) one on the bottom.

I'm still not convinced about this piercing. I like the way it looks, but I do find it a bit annoying. It's fine when eating, but if I try to move my tongue around in my mouth (e.g. to try and get food off my teeth), it really gets in the way. I also don't think it's quite straight and the different sized balls clash with my OCD. The balls clack against my teeth as well, and I'm worried that I'll damage them.

I don't really want to take it out, but I may change it to a PTFE barbell instead and see how that goes.
    Current: septum (12g/2mm), tongue (12g/2mm).
    Retired: nipples.
    Considering: nipples.

Nice to read your experience Aley75, thank you for the regular posts - lookin' forward to the next.

Hope you don't mind me asking about this piercing as I'm sort of intrigued for myself. How noticeable is the piercing for other people? From your voice and can it be seen? What reactions (if any) have you had from your work colleagues, friends, family etc? You say you're not convinced by the piercing, is that changing at all?
    Piercings: PA, nipples, navel, septum.

A few days ago, I did try changing to a PTFE barbell. I managed to remove the titanium barbell out and the stem of a PTFE one back in, but trying to attach the push-fit balls was more than a little tricky, so I gave up on that. I then took the smaller ball off the original barbell, re-inserted it and spent about 20 minutes (!) trying to re-attach a larger ball. So at least my OCD is happy.

mat:

At the start, my speech was a little different (particularly on "L"s and "th"s) but as the swelling went down, it went back to normal. I'm usually fairly careful when enunicating my words anyway, so it really wasn't that bad. I made sure to talk to myself (more than usual) to practice speaking with the piercing in. I'm not sure how noticeable it is. I don't open my mouth a lot when speaking, and I don't talk that much at the best of times. I'm sure some people (e.g. in shops where I'm less bothered about it showing) might have noticed, but no-one has commented. I'm sure that most people who know me would be surprised if they learned I had a tongue piercing.

My thoughts about the piercing in general haven't really changed much. I still like the way it looks, but I haven't yet warmed to it in the same way that I have my septum piercing. The tongue jewellery still gets in the way a bit and still clacks when I talk. I am also dreading the reaction that people from work and family will have when/if they do notice the piercing (I think I've been lucky so far).

I'm glad I had it done and didn't chicken out. I'd rather have it done and regret it afterwards than not have it done at all and regret it when I'm on my deathbed, thinking about all the things that happened in my life.
    Current: septum (12g/2mm), tongue (12g/2mm).
    Retired: nipples.
    Considering: nipples.

Thanks Aley75, really appreciate your frankness and, as always, the detail.

I guess a tongue piercing is one that you kinda always know is there, is that right? I ask as I like the feel of my piercings (although out of my piercings, my navel is the one which is the less 'sensitive'). In other words, I have my piercings for the feel of them, just as much as the look of them. Does this make sense?

Alsof you prefer it to be less visible, would you consider a different colour?

I don't know if this would help with re-attaching the balls in future as I had a similar problem with my septum in the early stages. I got a blob of blu-tac and stuck it to the end of a pen, then stuck the ball onto the blu-tac. Worked a treat.
    Piercings: PA, nipples, navel, septum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12