Thread: Earlobe piercing not healed after 5 months- I'm doing everything right though?

Question Earlobe piercing not healed after 5 months- I'm doing everything right though?

I had my earlobes pierced in January and have now had them for over 5 months. I don't touch them with dirty hands, never twist or pull on them, never pick at them and generally leave them alone. My left ear is fine and has healed perfectly, as has the septum piercing I had done a week later. I have a healing industrial in the top of my right ear which is healing fine, no crusts or bleeding and minimal pain. However, my right earlobe piercing is still not closed after FIVE months.

Cleaning wise, I let them rinse under the water in the shower and use a saline spray on them, wiping away any loose crusts on my right ear with a piece of gauze after softening it under the water.

After the 6 week initial piercing time I replaced my barbells with stainless steel fake plugs. I had a reaction to the stainless steel so I removed them and replaced them with titanium again. My left ear cooled off instantly and I haven't had any trouble with it since, however the right ear continues to be a nightmare.

I had them pierced at a professional studio with a needle, although in the past I had had my ears done at Claire's 2 times, which had healed over.

Discharge wise, it ill often leak a clear yellow-ish fluid not unlike the fluid that surrounds my other piercings as they're healing. It doesn't resemble pus and has no smell. Often it will bleed and I will end up with a huge chunk of dried blood on the back of my ear. However I am never rough with it, tend to sleep on my left, and as I mentioned, barely ever touch it. It also doesn't look swollen or inflamed. I showed my piercer a while ago and she said that it looked fine, just that it was bleeding/ The only thing that I can point out is that my right ear is significantly warmer than my left, and sometimes itches.

Could it be a mild infection that I should seek antibiotics for or should I just let it be? I've been waiting until six months have passed to start stretching as every site I've seen recommends, but I'd obviously have to put it on hold if my ear continues to play up.

Thank you for reading, hope I can solve this mystery!

Despite what you've read over the internet it is general recommended to start stretching your piercing after 1 year. Your right ear might just be taking longer to heal. Best to leave it alone, not touch it and only rinse it in the shower or under a tap. Dont bother with the saline spray since it dosnt really do anything.

For stretching you want to be adding 6 months on top of them being fully healed with no problems. Saline spray is fine as are warm compresses but shower rinses will cover those things if done everyday. It just sounds like you set back healing with changing them out early and having a nickel reaction. Make sure the titanium is implant-grade quality and just carry on with what you're doing.

It's not infected. Signs of infection are excessive swelling, throbbing, aching and pain. Persistent bleeding, redness (sometimes with streaks running from the site), heat from the area. Discharge of very dark yellow, green or brown smelly pus.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    For stretching you want to be adding 6 months on top of them being fully healed with no problems. Saline spray is fine as are warm compresses but shower rinses will cover those things if done everyday. It just sounds like you set back healing with changing them out early and having a nickel reaction. Make sure the titanium is implant-grade quality and just carry on with what you're doing.

It's not infected. Signs of infection are excessive swelling, throbbing, aching and pain. Persistent bleeding, redness (sometimes with streaks running from the site), heat from the area. Discharge of very dark yellow, green or brown smelly pus.
    thank you! i guess i'll wait until about january 2019 to start off stretching if everything is good.