Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: And my septum experience

Quote Originally Posted by Brit Renee View Post
    I think septum piercings are getting popular these days. I started with mine only flipped up while at work and then I stopped flipping it up. No department head ever tell me to flip it up. So it just hangs free and always twisted.
    Thanks Brit Renee and it's good to know I have joined an upward trend, at least in your part of the world! I'm not quite sure what you mean by "...and always twisted" can you enlighten me?
    Piercings: navel, septum, tongue web, PA
    Retired piercings: nipples

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fi View Post
    I got mine done yesterday It's flipped up as there's no way I could have it down at work. So atm I'm wanting to show everyone but can't!!! I'll probably leave it up for the next couple of weeks and then flip it down as I'm off work for a couple of weeks....Can't wait!
    Me too, there's no way I could let this be seen at work (public sector, very conservative). Hope you enjoy it!

One week on

Hard to believe my septum piercing is now a week old. The soreness around the piercing has gone, only a tiny part of my nose is sore when I push it with my finger, so nicely on the way with healing.

Last night I flipped it down to make sure all was nice and clean, then decided to leave it down for the night. This seemed a really nice thing to do and I almost enjoyed waking up and feeling it outside my nose, if you can imagine what I mean.

My wife reminded me to "flip your nose up" before going to work. Oh that would have been embarrassing to say the least.

If anyone had suggested a few years ago that I'd have a septum piercing I would have found it hard to believe. And yet I really like it. I like the idea of a piercing which can be both visible and also easily hidden in a couple of seconds. It's a strange, but nice, feeling to know it's there. Also I am feeling far more relaxed about the security of the balls staying in place. After the original one managed to unscrew itself a couple of times, I had to go back to the piercer. Now with the differently threaded balls it seems quite secure and I have no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by mat View Post
    Me too, there's no way I could let this be seen at work (public sector, very conservative). Hope you enjoy it!
    Thanks I get away with having a nostril piercing and nobody has ever said anything about it but I know the septum will be seen differently. Lots of flipping up and down for me and you then!
    Piercings:
    Nose, tongue, navel, both nipples horizontally, VCH, septum

Tattoos:
    Line of butterflies from lower belly round onto back and up to my shoulder, garter tatt on left thigh.

My jewelry is never straight or centered. It gets turned to the side so it looks like it's falling out.
    Left ear: 4 Lobe piercings, 2 Cartilage, Conch, Double Forward Helix, Antitragus and Vertical Industrial
    Right ear: 3 Lobe piercings, Auricle, Helix, Conch x2 and Forward helix
    Facial: Double Lower and Upper Nostril, Septum, Vertical labret and Philtrum
    Want: 4th Lobe, 2nd Foreward Helix, Tragus and Anti-Tragus
    Retired: Naval x2, Right Nostril, Anti-Tragus, and multiple lobe/Auricle piercings
    Tattoos: None but I want some.

Another day at work

At work I think my septum piercing has been spotted now and I didn't want this to happen. Perhaps it's a case of things settling down with any initial swelling fading away and realising my nostrils are slightly different. I am confident the piercing cannot be seen from the right but it appears a little lower on the left (although the actual piercing seems straight enough). My wife says it is sometimes noticeable, with it occasionally catching the light and proved it by taking a photo for me to see - I think she's right. It isn't brilliant when you're stuck in a meeting at work, surrounded on all sides by colleagues fairly close up and you feel that your septum piercing has moved a little and is almost certainly visible.

So, I have ordered a black circular barbell (same dimensions - 1.6mm x 10mm) to see if that makes any difference and I'm hopeful it will. At less than two weeks, swapping it over isn't ideal but I'm going to try when it arrives.

Other than that, I'm starting to enjoy it. I have just flipped it down for a salty soak, I think I'll leave like that over night as when I move around in bed a little I can sometimes feel it. There were some definite crusties to clean off today, otherwise it's been pretty clean each day so far.

So a bit of a roller-coaster today; the highs and lows of getting a new piercing. There's a definite excitement with the initial anticipation, getting it done, seeing the result and then going through the healing process to those self questioning about whether it's a good thing after all. So I hope my next post can be a little more positive....

Steady progress - day 10

As my cold has almost gone and healing is progressing nicely, my nose is getting back to normal. Well, it isn't going to be completely normal with a septum piercing, is it?

There is one sore part inside which is very tender, just on one side. When I flip the circular bar bell down, the ball pushes against some of the cartilage and it is very tender and looks a bit red, so I hope that recovers quickly. I only flip once a day when I wipe it over to remove any gunk. Last night I again slept with it flipped down and I quite liked that.

At work today the jewellery stayed in place and didn't move, so I think less visible. I still quite like the thought of nobody knowing about it, feels kinda mischievous.

I'm looking forward to the backline jewellery coming in the post but I am very apprehensive of swapping it over, still feel it's right to give it a go. Anyone else changed their jewellery within two weeks?

Love is....

A fairly straightforward day at work today. Only one meeting with people sitting either side of me, with nobody paying any attention to my nose. Later on a colleague asked me to take a look at something on her computer and after the immediate issue was resolved a conversation started with her sitting down and I was standing. I'm sure she was simply looking up my nose trying to figure out what she was seeing!

No matter, I figured my backline ring might have arrived in the post today. So when I got home before my wife, I set about changing it over. Firstly I thoroughly washed my hands and the new circular barbell. I opened it slightly with pliers so the curve was about the same as my existing ring. Unscrewed a ball of the new one and the old one, with the intention of the new one pushing the old one out as it neatly came through the hole.

All I managed to do was push the old one out and I simply couldn't find the hole to slide the new one through. I switched sides and still I was unsuccessful; starting to panic a little. Should I go back to the piercing studio after work tomorrow, with some humble pie? How quickly will a newly pierced septum heal over without any jewellery in it? Should I let it heal over and get it re-pierced at a later date? All those crazy things running through my mind!

And then my wife came home, thankfully. I went down to see her and she could tell I was upset. We discussed different options and came up with a plan. As the new circular barbell is just 10mm in diameter it is really hard to hold, let alone to find the hole. So I used a straight barbell (from original nipple piercing) to easily find the hole but the problem was finding the 'exit' hole. This took ages and I'm not convinced I really found it. My wife, looking inside my nose with a torch said she could see it had got through but only a tiny amount, so I pushed a little harder and "pop" it was through. I wonder if I have half pierced a new hole i.e. same 'entry' but new 'exit'?

So now I had a straight barbell sticking through my septum. I was lying on the floor and my wife (with latex gloves) pushed the barbell out with the new, black circular barbell. The last stage was screwing on the ball which was easy for her using my technique of using a blob of blutac to hold the ball on the end of a pen. This gets the ball on and a couple of turns, before tightening by hand. Throughout all of this my nose was runny and I kept sneezing!

With all this poking around and possibly a half botched new pierced hole, my nose is pretty sore. A nice luke warm salty soak was in order to soothe it, and clean up. As it's sore, I haven't flipped it up yet, I'll do that in the morning before I go to work.

This piercing is now very special. My wife put it in for me and she doesn't particular like piercing - she doesn't even have her ears pierced - and yet she did this for me. Sorry if this is a bit cheesy, it's my record of the twists and turns of my septum piercing.

I have really learnt from this: not to attempt swapping the jewellery until it is properly healed, which I understand is a good 6 months.
    Last edited by mat; 01-25-2018 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Added title

I'm paranoid that people are looking up my nose too! Good job I'm not very tall lol.

That's sounds like an ordeal! Hope it's okay today.

Wearing mine down for the first time today as I'm working from home. Ring looks a bit big so I'll downsize it...but will wait!!
    Piercings:
    Nose, tongue, navel, both nipples horizontally, VCH, septum

Tattoos:
    Line of butterflies from lower belly round onto back and up to my shoulder, garter tatt on left thigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fi View Post
    I'm paranoid that people are looking up my nose too! Good job I'm not very tall lol.

That's sounds like an ordeal! Hope it's okay today.

Wearing mine down for the first time today as I'm working from home. Ring looks a bit big so I'll downsize it...but will wait!!
    Thanks Miss Fi. Yes you must wait before you change the ring (I have learnt my lesson the hard way).

Hope you're enjoying being flipped down!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast