Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: And my septum experience

Default And my septum experience

Decided to get my septum pierced after thinking I could do with one more piercing. I really liked the idea of it being invisible, or, visible depending on the situation.

I called the piercing studio to ask what it was like having it done, how much it cost, could I simply drop in? All that was helpful. After a few more days thinking about it, I decided to go ahead. Going to the piercing studio is a straightforward drive after work, so I booked some flexi time and left early. Got there, completed the paperwork and got taken to the back of the shop and a curtain was pulled across for some privacy.

I explained the piercing had to be invisible or not to go ahead if this couldn't be done. The piercer looked at my nose and didn't see a problem so went ahead in marking the bottom of my nose with a blue pen and cleaning inside my nostrils with some liquid to get everything right. Then I was asked to lie down with my head right back for the clamp to be positioned, this took a while to get it right. I remember saying I wish I could watch (I'm not squeamish at all) and she gave me a little mirror to hold up!

The crucial moment came with the needle being positioned. "Ready?" she said. "Uh ha" was my replied and the needle was through and the end was then cut off with scissors. The little horseshoe ring was passed back through and the ball screwed on.

It was quite a tight fit so the piercer tried to widen out the ring with some pliers - this hurt far more than the piercing, it was like the end of my nose was being pinched! She then flipped it up into my nose (at my request) and said not to fiddle with it. Looking in the mirror I couldn't see it at all and my natural reaction was to put my little finger up my nose to feel if it was there. It really was and I was delighted. Then I was told off "you're fingers aren't sterile, please try not to do that!".

As I left and drove home I loved the sensation as I wiggled my nose. Sure it was sore but not too bad. I gave some thought to how I would let my wife know....
    Piercings: PA, nipples, navel, septum.

Quote Originally Posted by mat View Post
    Decided to get my septum pierced after thinking I could do with one more piercing. I really liked the idea of it being invisible, or, visible depending on the situation.

I called the piercing studio to ask what it was like having it done, how much it cost, could I simply drop in? All that was helpful. After a few more days thinking about it, I decided to go ahead. Going to the piercing studio is a straightforward drive after work, so I booked some flexi time and left early. Got there, completed the paperwork and got taken to the back of the shop and a curtain was pulled across for some privacy.

I explained the piercing had to be invisible or not to go ahead if this couldn't be done. The piercer looked at my nose and didn't see a problem so went ahead in marking the bottom of my nose with a blue pen and cleaning inside my nostrils with some liquid to get everything right. Then I was asked to lie down with my head right back for the clamp to be positioned, this took a while to get it right. I remember saying I wish I could watch (I'm not squeamish at all) and she gave me a little mirror to hold up!

The crucial moment came with the needle being positioned. "Ready?" she said. "Uh ha" was my replied and the needle was through and the end was then cut off with scissors. The little horseshoe ring was passed back through and the ball screwed on.

It was quite a tight fit so the piercer tried to widen out the ring with some pliers - this hurt far more than the piercing, it was like the end of my nose was being pinched! She then flipped it up into my nose (at my request) and said not to fiddle with it. Looking in the mirror I couldn't see it at all and my natural reaction was to put my little finger up my nose to feel if it was there. It really was and I was delighted. Then I was told off "you're fingers aren't sterile, please try not to do that!".

As I left and drove home I loved the sensation as I wiggled my nose. Sure it was sore but not too bad. I gave some thought to how I would let my wife know....
    Congratulations septum is next on my list hope it heals well for you xx
    LEFT EAR
    1 X DAITH
    1 X STANDARD LOBE
    1 X CONCH

RIGHT EAR
    1 X ROOK
    1 X TRAGUS
    1 X STANDARD LOBE
    1 X FAUX SNUG (HELIX,CONCH)

OTHERS
    1 X NIPPLE
    1 X NOSE
    1 X MONROE
    1 X VCH

SHE WAS MADE TO LOOK CRAZY BY THE MAN WHO DROVE HER THERE.

Day 2

Yes it was still there in the morning and I was conscious of a couple of things:

My nose was feeling sore. Not necessarily where the piercing was but the tip of my nose. Odd. Sprayed some salty water up my nostrils (interesting experience) and went to work.
    Secondly I knew I had my first winter cold coming on. At first I wondered if the runny nose was because of having a bit of metal poked into it. No, definitely a cold and this was not good in trying to blow my nose, still feeling very tender from the piercing.

At work there was an all-day team meeting. Six of us sitting around a big table and it seemed quite funny sitting there and nobody would ever have guessed I'd had my septum pierced. I liked that! Every now and then I felt I needed to check it was still in place, of course it was but nice to check for reassurance.

Overall - early days, still sore/tender. Not helped through having a cold!
    Last edited by mat; 01-20-2018 at 08:58 PM. Reason: formatting

Day 3

Disaster - a ball fell off.

Luckily this happened as I flipped it down to take a look and it landed in the bathroom basin. It rolled around and around, just managed to catch it before it disappeared in the plug hole. Getting it back on was quite a fiddle as the ball was so tiny and it was right against my nose. Also it was hard looking in the mirror and turning it the right way.

I went back to the piercers after work to ask them to check it was tight. It was and they tried to open the ring a little more. Once again this hurt a lot, worse than the original piercing.

Unbeknown to me the same ball fell off on the way home as it wasn't there when I looked in the mirror. I panicked a little, did I suck it further up into my nose? No, I couldn't have, let's be rational about this.

I still had the problem of a missing ball and I was afraid of the jewellery coming out. After a little thought, I found an earlier navel 1.6mm bar and unscrewed the small ball. It looked about the right size thread but the ball was a little bigger. The main thing was to get it on there somehow to keep the jewellery in place. Having read about Aley75's experiences I needed to think of an easy solution. I found a pen, a blob of blu-tack and stuck the ball onto the pen. Holding it like a screw driver, it went straight on and then I tightened it with my fingers as best I could.

Phew.

With all of this movement, the piercing was feeling very sore. Not good. Flipped it back up.
    Last edited by mat; 01-20-2018 at 08:58 PM. Reason: formatting

Day 4

Uneventful, still sore. In the evening we went to get my laptop looked at as there is a slight issue with it. Switched it on in the shop and there was a page about septum piercing, which my wife clocked. At this stage I hadn't told her about my new piercing as she's not too keen on them She tolerates them okay but I needed to pick my moment. Nothing was said until....

Day 5

"I noticed your computer had something about a septum piercing. What's that? Are you thinking of getting one, whatever that might be" in a slightly concerned voice.

"It's a piercing through the middle of your nose. Actually I've already had it done. Do you want to take a look?"

Eyebrows raised.

I explained about the lost ball saga which together we thought was quite funny. I said I was going back to the piercing studio to resolve the problem.

So, after work I drove over there again. I explained I was so worried about a ball falling off again, is there something wrong with the thread? Also the ring itself still seems tight, is there a wider one I could have at some point? The piercer said it was no problem, they were keen to help which was good. After a bit of consideration, they found they had a slightly wider ring, same 1.6mm gauge and it could be swapped. This one had an internal thread, with little threads sticking out of the balls and this, it seemed would be a bit more reliable. So I agreed, although it was suggested it might be difficult or painful to swap it over as it was still such a new piercing.

The old ring got removed and then a very thin taper pin lined up. The piercer then said it might be worth seeing if the new ring might go straight in on its own. It did and the ball was sighted up and the other ball checked (at my request).

I felt so grateful, thanked them so much. The new ring was free of charge and I'm pleased they lived up to their promise of always being there to help sort out any problems.

I drove home, definitely feeling sore but very thankful all was okay.
    Last edited by mat; 01-20-2018 at 08:50 PM. Reason: formatting

Day 6

Still sore around the piercing. Long soak with my nose in a glass of salty water; amazing how that soothed the soreness so quick. I flipped it down to take a look, balls still there and looking okay.

Still got a cold. Coughing now and still have a runny nose with the odd sneeze. My wife says my colleagues might get a shock if I sneeze in a meeting and it pops out! Quite sore when blowing my nose. Damn this cold, what awful timing! Haven't had a cold for such a long time and then along comes a cold just as I get my septum pierced.

Went running this morning, with it flipped up of course. Sometimes I could feel it moving around a little and I quite liked that. I like being aware of my piercings, even when they're completely healed, a nice sensation.

Congrats on your septum!!!!! When I got mine done last year the tip of my nose was sore and I also got a cold. It's uncomfortable to wipe and blow your nose when it's sore. Happy healing!!!
    Left ear: 4 Lobe piercings, Auricle, Helix, Conch, Double Forward Helix and Vertical Industrial
    Right ear: 3 Lobe piercings, Auricle, Helix, Conch x2 and Forward helix
    Facial: Left nostril, Right nostril Septum, and Philtrum
    Want: 4th Lobe, 2nd Foreward Helix and Anti-Tragus
    Retired: Naval x2, Right Nostril, Anti-Tragus, Inverse Vertical Labret and multiple lobe/Auricle piercings
    Tattoos: None but I want some.

Day 7

Out in a blizzard!

I'm thinking the soreness around the tip of my nose is reducing, which is really good. Mind you, I did think I'd lost all feeling in my nose as we were out as volunteer race marshals today. This involved standing around for a few hours on the same spot in a hi-viz jacket with a clipboard, checking competitor numbers and keeping an eye out for anyone who might have been exhausted, or even frozen stiff. We had sleet, snow and at one point horizontal snow making it seem like a blizzard. All this meant my nose was well chilled and I couldn't feel anything if I wiggled my nose or even tried to feel the jewellery with my finger.

It seems the salty soaks are having a great effect, healing seems to be going well. I'll keep it up until the soreness as gone, perhaps another week or so.

I am still getting used to having my septum pierced. It is starting to feel a little more 'normal' but it is still early days.

I thanked my wife again for making it so easy to tell her (see day 5) and she's still not impressed. She sees it as my version of a mid-life Harley Davidson crisis, only a lot cheaper I suppose.

Are septum piercings getting unusual these days, or perhaps on the rise? I have never seen enough around to really know - what are your views? Perhaps, like me, people often have them flipped up?

I think septum piercings are getting popular these days. I started with mine only flipped up while at work and then I stopped flipping it up. No department head ever tell me to flip it up. So it just hangs free and always twisted.
    Left ear: 4 Lobe piercings, Auricle, Helix, Conch, Double Forward Helix and Vertical Industrial
    Right ear: 3 Lobe piercings, Auricle, Helix, Conch x2 and Forward helix
    Facial: Left nostril, Right nostril Septum, and Philtrum
    Want: 4th Lobe, 2nd Foreward Helix and Anti-Tragus
    Retired: Naval x2, Right Nostril, Anti-Tragus, Inverse Vertical Labret and multiple lobe/Auricle piercings
    Tattoos: None but I want some.

I got mine done yesterday It's flipped up as there's no way I could have it down at work. So atm I'm wanting to show everyone but can't!!! I'll probably leave it up for the next couple of weeks and then flip it down as I'm off work for a couple of weeks....Can't wait!
    Piercings:
    Nose, tongue, navel, both nipples horizontally, VCH, septum

Tattoos:
    Line of butterflies from lower belly round onto back and up to my shoulder

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast