Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nose shape and septum piercing

Default Nose shape and septum piercing

I'm thinking about getting a septum piercing. Because of work, I would wear it flipped up most of the time, hiding it.

However, I'm concerned that the profile of my nose will hinder hiding the jewellery. My nose looks similar to the one in the following image:

As you can see, the subject's nostrils curve upwards away from her face before curving down again to meet the end of her nose. Mine is the same as this, and to about the same degree. My main worry is that the jewellery will be visible from the side, even when flipped up, especially as I'm fairly tall. It looks like her jewellery might just about be hidden if she were to turn it the other way.

Is it likely that I'd be able to hide the piercing with this sort of nose? I appreciate that we're all different, but does anyone else have a similar-shaped nose and a septum piercing? Are you able to hide it? I was planning on travelling to get it done so I could go to someone on the approved list; the last thing I want to do is turn up and find out it's a no-go, thereby wasting everyone's time. In the past, I've had to rule out other piercings I've wanted due to anatomical quirks/deficiencies, and I'd hate to add another to that list.

I'm also not entirely sure where my sweet spot is. Apparently it's below the cartilage, and is thin and squishy. The area below my cartilage is thinner and squishier than the cartilage, but it's still fairly thick and still fairly squishy. It also runs from the front of my nose to the back, which doesn't sound very spot-like. Is the sweet spot literally a spot (i.e. very small)? If so, it doesn't sound like I've found it. How close is it to the tip of your nose?

I think with this the only thing to do would be to go to a piercer and have them assess your nose and see where exactly it would be able to be placed, there's no one spot for it to go, as long as it's in your soft tissue (sweet spot) theoretically it could go anywhere along there and usually just placed for where would look best. But once you know where it could go you could see where it could be flipped up and envision would still would be seen if any!
    Left 10mm lobe,
    Right 10mm lobe,
    Right eyebrow, Septum,
    13 Tattoos

You'd be surprised how many people wouldn't even notice it and even if you could see it after being assessed etc just wear a glass retainer in it. No one is going to see it then and if they do then I'd be concerned about how much they're scrutinising you lol
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Thank you, both. I think I will make an appointment and see how it goes from there. I made a fake ring out of a piece of wire (yes, really) of the approximate size to play with positioning, and if it can be pierced fairly close to the tip of my nose, it will probably be fine.

I would have liked to have it pierced with a retainer as the initial jewellery, but all of the three places I've emailed thus far have said they'd do it with a circular barbell at first. I will probably be going to Fourleaf in Worcester.

I believe it's easily hidden by flipping it up, if you need to hide it for work/education
    4 lobes in each ear
    1 right tragus
    1 right helix
    1 left nose
    1 right & 1 left nipples
    1 VCH
    1 right rook
    1 right inner conch
    1 floating navel
    1 left daith

Retired: left tragus, 2 lobes in each ear, left nipple, 2x navel

Want: 1 vertical tongue, 1 Madonna, HCH,

I had mine pierced with a straight barbell at first - then changed to a circular barbell a week later.
    Not sure why in my case as I didn't need it hiding, and a week isn't anywhere near starting to heal for septum piercing.
    So id ask if they could do it with a retainer in your case once you get there
    Left 10mm lobe,
    Right 10mm lobe,
    Right eyebrow, Septum,
    13 Tattoos

Quote Originally Posted by Aley75 View Post
    Thank you, both. I think I will make an appointment and see how it goes from there. I made a fake ring out of a piece of wire (yes, really) of the approximate size to play with positioning, and if it can be pierced fairly close to the tip of my nose, it will probably be fine.

I would have liked to have it pierced with a retainer as the initial jewellery, but all of the three places I've emailed thus far have said they'd do it with a circular barbell at first. I will probably be going to Fourleaf in Worcester.
    I had mine done at Fourleaf by Amber. I told her beforehand i needed to flip it up straight away because of work and she said that was fine. She pierced it with a horseshoe then showed me how to flip it up. My nostrils don't curve up but they are rather large and it's not visible at all when flipped up.
    Got: A forward helix and tragus in left ear, triple lobe in both ears, daith in right ear, right nostril and septum.
    Retired: Left nostril and forward helix
    Coming soon: Outer and inner conch.

Thanks for that - very helpful. I actually bit the bullet and made an appointment at Fourleaf for Friday, via their on-line booking system. I found Amber's blog, which includes photos of septums she's pierced in the past (see here), and they're all quite far forward and the balls don't go down very far below the nose. So, I'm hopeful it will be all right.

I'm very nervous right now, and there's still two days to go. I've chickened out once in the past (for other piercings) and cancelled with two days to go - it would be nice not to lose my nerve this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aley75 View Post
    I'm very nervous right now, and there's still two days to go. I've chickened out once in the past (for other piercings) and cancelled with two days to go - it would be nice not to lose my nerve this time.
    Take the pressure off yourself. By going, your not committed to the piercing, you're being assessed for suitability and talking about your options. If you like what you hear and feel up for it, sure, get it done, but you don't have to.

I'd like to thank everyone who posted to this thread for their advice and suggestions. Today was the day of the appointment. And (drum roll) I have a septum piercing! Yes, I got it done, thanks to the brilliant Amber at Fourleaf. It was surprisingly painless, even the clamping part. When flipped up (which is now) it's only visible if you look directly up my nose. It's high up and quite far forward - exactly the positioning I was hoping for.

I have written a diary, but I'm not sure whether I'll post it to the forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast