Thread: Piercing granuloma? not healing

Default Piercing granuloma? not healing

Hello,

I've had what I suspect is a granuloma on my forward helix piercing for about a month now. i've been giving it regular SSS but it doesn't seem to be having any effect on it. When I clean it there is some relief but not much else seems to happen. It bleeds when I clean it too.

Photo here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/clarai...posted-public/

Just for background info I had the piercing done in December in the UK but am back home in Jakarta, Indonesia now. I will be back in England next month in case a trip to a reputable piercers is needed.

Any tips on next steps would be great! Thanks!!

Just thought I'd add that I don't wear the bar sticking out like that but wanted to show what the bump looks like. Could the length of the bar be causing friction and then could that have led to the granuloma?
    Last edited by LadyClara; 06-03-2017 at 10:59 AM.

I've left it well and truly alone today and it feels OK. I think I'll stop cleaning it aside from to get any crusties off with a cotton bud after a shower. Hopefully that will help it. I'd really like to change the ball at the end of the bar when I'm back home next month and want it to heal well to do that.

Soaking won't help a granuloma as it ideally needs to dry out. Leaving it alone is for the best.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks. I was going by what was in the bumps thread as it does say to do SSS but that doesn't seem to help so I'll leave it alone for a while and see how it gets on. :-)

Yeah, very frequent or hypertonic soaks can work but it's best just to let it dry out as frequent/strong soaks often irritate.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Yeah, very frequent or hypertonic soaks can work but it's best just to let it dry out as frequent/strong soaks often irritate.
    I didn't touch it all for the last couple of days. It's now quite dry and the skin looks a little flaky. I assume this is normal? I think I had this before and then the skin got quit itchy which led me to scratch at it!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyClara View Post
    I didn't touch it all for the last couple of days. It's now quite dry and the skin looks a little flaky. I assume this is normal? I think I had this before and then the skin got quit itchy which led me to scratch at it!
    Sounds normal. If it doesn't settle you can put some natural oil (not essential oil) around it.

Hooray - my piercing is looking a lot better! I can't seem to insert the photo but here is a link to it.

https://flic.kr/p/ViDQih

Grrrr....so only a day after I posted this my piercing flared up again and I can't think of any reason why it would have done. :-( It's really frustrating and I'm starting to think maybe i should retire this piercing. I'll be going to Old London Road tattoo tomorrow to get it checked out and see if perhaps the bar is causing some irritation.

https://flic.kr/p/Wv5PK6

So I went to a piercing studio today nr Covent Garden to speak to someone about my forward helix. I didn't speak with the piercer but an assistant who liaised with the piercer. They've advised me to remove the piercing and then get it repierced in 5-6 weeks. This isn't really an option for me as I live in Jakarta and don't know how good the piercing studios are there. Is removing it the best thing to do?