Thread: First - Time Cartilage Piercing

Question First - Time Cartilage Piercing

So I got my helix piercing done on New Years (5-ish months ago). At first things were beautiful!!! It was healing better than my lobes had (my first one took 2 YEARS and my seconds took 8 weeks). I also know I do tend to take the longer healing times. I was using PunkMedics after care. My piercing responded really well to that. However when I switched to my dads house that's when things started to go bad. I accidentally left my spray at home and knew my stepmom thought she was a "professional" so she didn't agree with SSS's. So I at first just relied on plain old water. My piercing got angry at me. So without reading the label I used my old Studex stuff that I used on my second lobes 5-7 months ago. I got an irritation bump immediately! So I went back to my punks medic stuff as soon as I came back and 1-2 weeks later bump was gone... then alas my stuff ran out so I bought a saline solution. Well my sister decided to play with it so now I'm all out. I was doing SSS with non iodized sea salt and water (1 cup water to 1/4 teaspoon salt). But now my bumps back and it's just so irritated! I know it's not infected because I'm religious with cleanings. But I also need to get my jewelry changed out. However when it gets not swollen enough to go get changed out for a shorter bar I plan to go do it the next day (I'm 16 and can't drive myself. And my piercer is in another town as the ones in mine... should not Be piercing) and so when I go to do it it gets swollen and angry!

http://imgur.com/a/geDkR

(i hope that worked...)

Any advice?
    Last edited by Boo; 05-29-2017 at 07:10 AM. Reason: added correct link

The piercing itself looks fine. I assume it was done with a needle and has good quality implant grade jewellery in it? Helices can take a good 12 months or so to settle. It's usually best to leave them alone and don't spray or soak with anything really unless it's very irritated in which case a hot compress may help. What makes you think you need to change the jewellery? Is it too long/short?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Yes got it done very professionally and have implant grade titanium. My piercer put a stud in that's longer to allow for swelling and told me to come in around 2 months to have it changed out. So I should stop the cleaning? When I do that it seems to form a hard lump (hypertrophic scar?) so that's why I've been cleaning it

Quote Originally Posted by piercinggirlkealey View Post
    Yes got it done very professionally and have implant grade titanium. My piercer put a stud in that's longer to allow for swelling and told me to come in around 2 months to have it changed out. So I should stop the cleaning? When I do that it seems to form a hard lump (hypertrophic scar?) so that's why I've been cleaning it
    It's up to you but by now you just want to let your body handle it really. Bumps are very common and usually just go away on their own. Or you can keep cleaning it. Just take your piercers advice and pop back in after 2 months.

I've also deleted your other post as you're asking the same question.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Thank you so much! I didn't know to and this post oddly wasn't showing up till I posted the second one. I did pop in after 2 months and it was too swollen so they told me to come in again in 1 month, and I did that.. now it's 5/6 months and still quite swollen most of the time. But I know I do tend to take forever to heal

It's ok and yeah they can be a right pain in the ass to heal normally :(