Thread: Nose problems

Default Nose problems

Hi all

I've had my nose pierced for about 2 years or more now. Because I'm a lazy piece of work I only got around to changing my piercing on Thursday. I got a surgical steel open-ended ring (from this site), slightly smaller than original titanium captive bead hoop, with same gauge.

It took me quite some time to get the damn ball out of the ring so was tugging on my nose a lot. Finally got it out and new ring went in no problem. Two days later though, I woke up and it was quite sore and swollen.

Is this normal? From all the tugging, an just changing in general? Should I be worried about allergies to nickel? Although when I had my lip pierced I'm sure I used surgical steel and it was okay. I have bathed it a few times in salt water, and a bit of pus has come out, just as it used when I first got the piercing.

The only problem is I won't be able to get this ring out as my nose is still a bit swollen and it was a tight fit getting on in the first place!

Any advice is welcome

Senior Member AliceinWonderland's Avatar

I personally avoid CBR's (captive ball rings) for the very reason that they are literally impossible to get into my septum. Anything smaller than that, I can't imagine lol. I'd say it is normal to experience swelling since you said you tugged on your nose a lot. Maybe give it the LITHA method and let it settle from tugging on it.
    ~~Piercings~~
    Currently none.

~~Tattoos~~
    Koi fish half sleeve on left arm and hand.
    Dragon eye on right hand.
    Sphynx cat on chest.

Sounds irritated from getting it in etc. ONRs are really handy, I used to love wearing them ^_^
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

My very well healed ( been years now) nose piercing would swell after a battle like that so give it a day or two to calm down.

It is possible you are reacting to the nickel. If I'm going to react to a piece of jewellery in my nose I find it takes about 12-24 hours to start to hurt and then the pain and swelling become unbearable. Not so long ago I had to make an emergency L shaped stud out of one of the lobe earrings I was wearing as my nose swelled so badly I couldn't get anything else in! If it doesn't resolve in a couple of days or gets any worse then I'd blame the jewellery.
    Caro

Thanks guys

The swelling seems to have gone down some today - still a bit sore, but I'll give it another couple of days and see how it's doing then!