Thread: Three-Month Bump

Question Three-Month Bump

I got my nose pierced with a stud over three months ago. It was fine until about early January, when I got the dreaded bump. I have tried absolutely everything to get rid of it: I'm still cleaning it every day with SSS, and I've tried using tea tree oil, aspirin paste, hot compresses, and sea salt paste; at one point I used straight-up peroxide, which I know you're not supposed to use, but it ended up curing the infection I inevitably received, leaving just the bump behind - fyi, I'm not using the peroxide anymore, that was just a brief thing.

March is almost over now and I'm mortified that the bump is still there. I rinse it out in the shower and I avoid touching it to the best of my ability. The stud's made of white-gold, and I know I went to a good piercer because they're known in my town for being very professional/clean. I really don't want to take the piercing out - it was a commemorative gift to myself for studying abroad last fall - but I'm completely at a loss of what to do now. All my friends who have gotten a bump have successfully used the methods I've already attempted. Does anyone know anything else I might try? Should I see a doctor? Or should I just suck it up and take it out?

Senior Member AliceinWonderland's Avatar

Did you ask your piercer about it? Maybe changing the jewellery out for another type (ask your piercer first) will help?
    ~~Piercings~~
    Currently none.

~~Tattoos~~
    Koi fish half sleeve on left arm and hand.

Have you tried doing a camomile soak? That's meant to help with swelling/bumps!

Have you tried leaving it alone?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Senior Member AliceinWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Have you tried leaving it alone?
    You know, this is a great point... it's natural for us human beings to want to "fix" anything abnormal that comes up, but sometimes our "fixing methods" only irritate it more.

What I've learned through my own piercing journey, is that giving it time is often the best thing and it usually sorts itself out.
    ~~Piercings~~
    Currently none.

~~Tattoos~~
    Koi fish half sleeve on left arm and hand.