Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Piercings no longer popular?

Default Piercings no longer popular?

Hi all,

I've noticed that piercings seem to be a lot less popular than they were.
    This forum has been pretty quiet for a while and I am a regular at alternative nights where everyone used to have lots of metal in them - now there is nothing like there was.

It seems tattoos are the thing now. Everyone has them and has lots of them and often in very visible places.

Is it just me or are piercings just not popular any more?

I don't care - I had them before they became popular and I actually quite like being even more different.

Yvonne.
    Got: double snakebites|central lip|labret|1.6mm and 5mm tongue|philtrum|angel bites|smiley|septum|3 pairs nostrils|3 pairs eyebrows|bridge|15 & 16 (l&r) lobe/cartilage, rook, 2x tragus, 3x forward helix, conch (both ears symmetrical)|3x navel (74 holes in total)Want: Everything, slowly building up my piercings over time.Next up: venoms; maybe something genital

I think it's like anything, there will always be shifts and changes in popularity. Also depends on the location too. As for on here I feel we are going back to being a bit of a Q&A service again where people just want answers/info but aren't sharing much. Maybe we will see a peak again at some point with more diaries and conversations and meet ups etc. I miss the meets and the strong sense of community we had a couple of years back. You are right though, I feel tattoos are becoming much more popular as they are gaining a better reputation and the huge huge influx of artists/shops opening. I feel also as high end jewellery becomes more and more popular and talked about and used that people are going for statement pieces occasionally rather than getting several piercings over a shorter period of time.
    Last edited by Boo; 02-26-2017 at 10:13 PM.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I think a lot of people use Facebook now rather than forums which has an effect as well.
    Caro

It definitely seems more of a "fad" than a serious undertaking, though its funny how tattoos are treated the same way but are a lot harder to reverse (if even possible.) I'm more comfortable expressing myself on forums than on Facebook, Instagram, or some other outlet. Most of my "friends" or "followers" don't really understand what piercings mean, or mean to me, anyway.

Forums for the win!
    Current:
    Both Ears - 3 sets of lobes (1sts stretched to 0g), tragus 18g, rooks 18g, helixes 18g
    Left Ear specific - Conch 18g
    Right Ear specific - Daith 16g
    Face - Right nostril 18g

Wish List:
    Floating navel

Retired:
    Faux snug
    Industrial
    Second right nostril
    Septum
    4th set of lobes
    5th set of lobes
    Triple forward helix
    Left daith
    Navel 2x

Senior Member MidnightDreamer22's Avatar

Sadly, I personally don't have the funds to get any body mods right now. I was also having some trouble with my conch just-not-healing for quite a while, which put me off getting more metal, but now that's completely healed... but I can't really spare the money right now I do love forums, though, much better than Facebook or Tumblr or Instagram.
    Hey there! I'm Niki!
    Piercings
    Left ear: 2x standard lobe, inner conch Right ear: 2x standard lobe, tragus, double helix Other: left nostril, septum

RIP: right nostril, navel

Tattoos
    2,5 hours of work (right rib piece and waist/ hip lettering)

Want: industrial, daith, philtrum, sooo many tattoos
    Tumblr // Instagram

The thing I like about tattoos is they heal better for me. I don't think I'd get another body piercing, maybe a face little star to be cute. XD But yeah, tattoos once they heal that's it with them, other than sunblock all the time.

An interesting thought there - once a tattoo is healed then that is it, whereas piercings often flare up, get caught and other things even years later.
    I agree with that - every time I get a cold my tongue piercings are a pain and as I don't wear all my piercings all the time, if I leave some of them without jewellery for some length of time then they are a real pain.

Still, piercings, rather than body modification is my thing.
    Got: double snakebites|central lip|labret|1.6mm and 5mm tongue|philtrum|angel bites|smiley|septum|3 pairs nostrils|3 pairs eyebrows|bridge|15 & 16 (l&r) lobe/cartilage, rook, 2x tragus, 3x forward helix, conch (both ears symmetrical)|3x navel (74 holes in total)Want: Everything, slowly building up my piercings over time.Next up: venoms; maybe something genital

I'm much more a fan of piercings than other types of body modification too. And I prefer forums to Facebook, etc.

There seem to be more people with piercings in TV programs and working in shops now than there used to be. I do think piercings might be less popular with punks these days though. But maybe that's just relative to my obsession
    Current: Bridge / Left Nostril / Septum / Bottom Lip / Tongue Web / 2 x Mandible / VCH / Triangle / 3 x Helix / 6 x Lobe / Tragus
    Retired: 2 x Tongue Web / 3 x Nipple / Navel / Tragus / 10 x Lobe

Surely piercings are body modification?

I do think piercings are more popular in everyday life and on-screen now as well. Maybe that's why they're not talked about as much? They're becoming more "normal"?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

You're right. Piercings don't have to be taken out or hidden at work in the way they did probably only 5 years ago. From my personal experience, when i started at my work a nose piercing was allowed but only if you wore a small stud but now no one bats an eyelid if you wear a hoop. Times change and it's a good thing.
    Piercings:
    Nose, navel, both nipples horizontally, Princess Diana, septum. Retired - tongue

Tattoos:
    Line of butterflies from lower belly round onto back and up to my shoulder, garter tatt on left thigh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast