Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypergranulation or Keloid?

Default Hypergranulation or Keloid?

Hi everyone,

I've had my nose piercing for 7 years now. It decided to mess up when I changed to a different stud last year which didn't work well with the piercing. After that I changed back to my original but didn't care for it properly and found that a bump was not going away. Recently, I just changed to a solid gold stud which I've used before without any problems and the original bump went but was replaced by this:

Last night:

http://i66.tinypic.com/wweuf8.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/2qb632s.jpg

This morning:

http://i67.tinypic.com/23qz1fn.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/2n7gvtu.jpg

I'm extremely worried about this. I don't want to take it out but I can't identify what this is? Is this Hypergranulation, Hypertrophic scarring or a Keloid?

It's sore too and only recently I've started doing chamomile and sea salt soaks once a day, coconut oil and tea tree oil mixed together and applied with a q-tip straight after and before bed. It looks a little less red today after I applied the oil mix last night. Today I sprayed it with H2Ocean spray and put the mix on again. It feels sore but it's not hurting majorly at all. I can't stop worrying about it though. Any advice on what I should do? I don't want to remove this though because I'm so attached to it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

It's hypergranulation.
    Stop using coconut oil as it smothers the piercing. Tea tree oil isn't advisable either.
    The only decent oil for piercings, as I've learnt from this forum, is emu oil.

My advice would be to stick to either chamomile compresses or sea salt soaks. Not both.
    Make sure you only do them once or twice a day. Don't touch the piercing at all and if doing SSS make sure the quantities are correct.

I'd ditch the H2Ocean spray too.
    Current -
    Left ear: Triple Lobes
    Right ear: Triple Lobes, Double Helix, Daith, Double Forward Helix
    Other: Nipples, Septum, VCH

Want -
    Snug, Tragus, Christina

Retired -
    Tongue, Lip, Navel, Multiple Helixes

Thanks a lot, Kitty! Am going to pick up emu oil now. How do we apply the oil on and how many times a day is it advisable?

I'm trying not to get it wet at all as I've realised that natural water is really irritating it and it becomes quite sore. My biggest issue is when I shower. How would I be able to protect it from getting wet?

I'm going to stick to sea salt soaks. Is it better to do a full soak so submerging my nose piercing into the water or just compresses?

Thanks so much! I'm hoping it goes away eventually as I just want it healthy again. :(

Emu oil and saline spray should do that a treat.

Don't do the SSS as i've read they are quite unhygenic but you can but a sodium chloride and just spray that then pretend it aint there and it should be fine.

It doesn't look like a classic granuloma to me. Looks more like HS from irritation. My advice would be rinse in the shower and leave it alone. Try that for a couple of months then reassess.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks a lot, Hazel and portraitofcurcelli! I haven't touched it all and it's not sore anymore. I don't think it's reduced just yet but it definitely hasn't been stinging or been sore. I think leaving it alone was actually the best thing for it. Praying for it to reduce down now. I will post a photo of it tomorrow to show its progress.

Just one question: does it take a while for this to go down and disappear?

Thank you so much to all three of you again!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder010101 View Post
    Thanks a lot, Hazel and portraitofcurcelli! I haven't touched it all and it's not sore anymore. I don't think it's reduced just yet but it definitely hasn't been stinging or been sore. I think leaving it alone was actually the best thing for it. Praying for it to reduce down now. I will post a photo of it tomorrow to show its progress.

Just one question: does it take a while for this to go down and disappear?

Thank you so much to all three of you again!
    I'd say maybe a week or two give or take. I had a nasty bump on my nose stud and just left it and sprayed saline every night and about a week and a half later and it's gone.

Playing with them and testing things is really the worst and imo tea tree oil is terrible!!! It made mine a hundred times worse.

Glad I could help.

Yeah 99% of bumps get better when you ignore them tbh. Could be days weeks or months till it settles fully no one can predict what your body will do. Hopefully it won't be too long.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks a lot to all of you!

It looks like this now:

http://tinypic.com/r/25g53er/9

I know it might be a while before it goes away, but for the current moment, it isn't sore anymore and doesn't seem 'angry' anymore. It just sits on my nose now. I haven't done anything to it. Just sprayed a bit of saline solution before bed last night and have been using a dry tissue to gently wipe away any flaky bits/crusties around it.

I'm hoping I see more improvement in the upcoming days! Will keep you all posted on its progress.

Thanks a lot again.

Could jewellery quality also be playing a part? Irritation bumps won't go away until you find the source of the irritation and eliminate it. Of course I'd recommend leaving it alone as over doing it with various products can cause irritation so it could simply be that.
    Current Piercings:
    Right Ear: 00g lobe (9mm), 14g daith
    Left Ear: 00g (9mm) lobe, 14g conch
    Other: 18g right nostril, 14g/12g septum, 12g horizontal nipples

Retired:
    R.I.P: navel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast