Thread: Irritation VS Infection?

Default Irritation VS Infection?

I had what seems to be "The Bump" this was light in shade. These picture don't show it best but my ear was very swollen, so much the folds was streched completely and tender / pain for 2 days. The earring was being swallowed when I noticed.

Pictures of how it looked back then:

I think it was an infection but can't tell if it was maybe an irritation instead.
    I followed cleaning instructions.
    1 night it may have gotten tangled with my hair.

Piercer asked if I watched with fragrance shampoo making me think that maybe it was irritated... but he didn't tell me which was it.
    Piercer removed the jewelry and told me to return in 2 weeks to re-pierce.

So how do you differentiate with Infection, Irritation, and Allergies?

I ask because need to re-pierce. Not that worry if it was an irritation but if it was an infection need to figure out what to do.
    Last edited by MichEarCandy; 02-14-2017 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Added pictures

I'm sorry this seemed to have posted double... I stopped it from posting to add pictures. Seems to have gone thru either way.

I don't think I can delete it from my end.

Signs of infection:

Extreme pain
    Excessive swelling
    Strong, painful throbbing/aching
    Lots of redness around the area
    Red streaks running from the piercing site
    Hot to touch
    Oozing dark green/brown, smelly pus
    Excessive bleeding
    A general feeling of unwell (aches, shivers, fever etc)

If you have some or most of those then your piercing *may* be infected. A genuine infection requiring medical treatment such as topical or oral antibiotics is pretty rare and chances are you'll be in so much pain or discomfort you'll know it's infected.

Pretty much everything else will be normal healing or mild to moderate irritation.

Things like pain, swelling, redness, oozing clear/white/yellow/pale green non smelly liquid, slight bleeding, itching are part of the normal healing process.

When the above don't seem to be going away or get persistently worse then you want to be looking at causes of irritation. This may be overcleaning (general consensus these days is rinsing with plain water in the shower or a few sprays of saline a day), poor quality jewellery, poor placement, sleeping on the piercing, catching the piercing, not being anatomically suited to the piercing.

Cartilage can be a LONG healer you can expect it to act up for a year or more in some cases, they're certainly one for the patient piercee out there! Bumps on cartilage are very common indeed, hot compresses and leaving them alone usually see them go eventually.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Glad you made this one as my helix (which was an angel since last week Wednesday when I changed the jewellery) has just started acting up again. Yes I do suspect it can be the jewellery as its just one of my normal earrings (so have no idea what it is) but I don't have the money to go buy something. might try my sterling silver again which I used for my earlobes. Mine was definitely allergy related previously as it was swollen and red and even bruised. After the change its been better but I did take it out Sunday to give it a proper clean as the earing I have in is a cross and its hard to clean. I put hempseed oil on it but don't know if this is also aggravating it? Been worried but now will relax and go on

I was told by a piercer that it shouldn't be done at an angle.

She said the fact that it's at an angle could be why it became so swollen. It puts a lot of pressure on the Piercing and because it's fresh the positioning of it will determine how it heals and where it heals. If it's on an angle it has probably gone through more skin than it would have if it was done properly.

I recall it was difficult to clean..

What's the correct marking for a helix?

Quote Originally Posted by MichEarCandy View Post

What's the correct marking for a helix?
    90 degrees to the surface being pierced depending on anatomy. It shouldn't be slanted for the reasons the piercer gave you.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    90 degrees to the surface being pierced depending on anatomy. It shouldn't be slanted for the reasons the piercer gave you.
    according to the piercer mine has shifted downwards at the back, so its at an angle. Its not nice as I want to wear rings and stuff eventually but now with the sharp angle I don't know if I could. Also pierced almost as an outer conch? but I will let it do its healing stuff