Thread: Piercing Advice - Helix

Lightbulb Piercing Advice - Helix

Hi, hope you can give me some advice.

I went to the most reputable piercing shop in my city and my piercer has 15+ years of experience. Everyone recommends him!

I got 3 ear piercings including a pair of lobe and a helix . Immediately after piercings: Piercings healed nicely but in a month my helix began hurting for 2 days. I assumed it was just healing. The 2nd day I noticed my ear was very swollen, the barbell piercing which was long was being swallowed. The fold on my ear was all streched out. There was something light in shade above the jewelry that I don't know what is the exact term for this but I went to piercer and he removed the jewelry to drain it since my ear was about to explode. The jewelry was preventing it from draining since it was very swollen. It was tender to touch but after that he said to come back in 2 weeks to re-pierce me at no extra cost.

My helix cost $55

I continued draining my ear and it stopped hurting immediately. Back to normal shape. My helix piercing was done at an angle because he said my ear folds. The barbell was longer than my ear.

Cleaning instructions were mild soap with water or saline solution. Wash up to 2 times maximum. And leave it alone.
    When it was swollen, piercer asked if I shampooed with a fragrance conditioner?

I know that my helix seemed to have gotten a little bit caught with my hair 1 night.

I'd like your take on this...
    I've read online 2-week is to soon to re-pierce. My idea is to do a double helix but am considering getting both done at the same time to heal them together or would that may be a bad idea? 
    I also hear that re-piercing hurts 4X more. (to me the infection was worse than the piercing)

Should I ask for the earring to be visible from the back?
    I don't think mine was visible from the back like this:
    Suggest I only do 1 piercing and then the other or do both together in this case?
    Or should I change the piercing location to the one below or maybe mid ear cartilage..?

I'm also concerned that I may be prone to infection since it already happened. I purchased baby shampoo / wash to make sure it doesn't irritate my ear. I have sea salt which seems to help. My ear right now is healing & it's closed. Sometimes gets a little red on that area but it's been only 2 weeks going on 3. It does not hurt. I'm assuming it may be because it's healing. I don't think it's hot but I am keeping an eye on it. Here's the progress from the infection:

Thank you
    Last edited by MichEarCandy; 02-12-2017 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Making images visible

I didn't put the best title...

Have them where you want them I staggered my double rook by 3 months, the first one was OK pain wise, the second hurt like hell as the area was still swollen and all I achieved was an even longer healing period. The double snugs I decided to have together and I am very glad I did. The second one hurt a bit more than the first but not much.

Just because you had trouble the first time your helix was pierced doesn't mean you will this time. Cartilage piercings can swell alarmingly but it doesn't always mean they are infected, generally they are just being cartilage piercings!
    Caro

Initially, I did one helix to avoid pain for trauma of a 2nd one within the same area while getting the 1st but I hadn't think through about the actual healing time for the helix. Now, that I need to get the helix re-pierced want to get the double done together to get it over with.

My major concern is that I want it to heal fully this time around. I can't tell if what I had was an infection or irritated. An irritation is better though.

I don't think you ever had an infection.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

That's great if I didn't!

Yeah, I don't think you had an infection but I do think it was pierced too close to the edge and fold of your ear - probably causing some irritating rubbing. If it had been a few millimetres to the right you probably wouldn't have had any issues.

If you're planning on a double I'd get them both in one sitting. One healing time instead of two.

And in regards to your question, I wouldn't ask for the piercing to be visible from the back. For one thing, your ears and hers I can see visually, are very different. It could cause the piercer to do it at an angle so it's achievable. I've never heard of anyone wanting it to be visible from the back anyway.

Best of luck
    Current -
    Left ear: Triple Lobes
    Right ear: Triple Lobes, Double Helix, Daith, Double Forward Helix
    Other: Nipples, Septum, VCH

Want -
    Snug, Tragus, Christina

Retired -
    Tongue, Lip, Navel, Multiple Helixes

I know this is old but honestly i wanted to say, helix or any cartilage piercing takes up to a year to heal fully. I've also heard people having flare ups where they will have to baby it until it stops which does seem like this could be the case.

Infection would be hot to touch, throbbing, possibly a pressure feeling because of swelling or something needs to come out and of course puss. If you're worried, go back to your piercer or ask another for advice. Salt soaks are always recommended so you're doing right there. Do NOT sleep on it as much as you can (not for a full year but until it's 1. healed 2.calms down).

You're doing your best, good luck!
    Current Piercings:
    First lobes - Done between the ages 7 and 9.
    Second lobes - Done 5.05.18.
    Third lobes - Done 29.03.17.
    Fourth lobes - Done 06.03.18.
    Helix (left ear) - Done 13.05.17.
    Nostril Piercing (left only) - Done 16.04.12.
    Tongue - Done 11.04.19

Piercing Plans:
    Triple forward helix < still working on this idea.
    Naval - possibly in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by CharliXo View Post
    I know this is old but honestly i wanted to say, helix or any cartilage piercing takes up to a year to heal fully. I've also heard people having flare ups where they will have to baby it until it stops which does seem like this could be the case.

Infection would be hot to touch, throbbing, possibly a pressure feeling because of swelling or something needs to come out and of course puss. If you're worried, go back to your piercer or ask another for advice. Salt soaks are always recommended so you're doing right there. Do NOT sleep on it as much as you can (not for a full year but until it's 1. healed 2.calms down).

You're doing your best, good luck!
    I will second this - Helix's/Cartilage take a long time to heal. I have got a Helix that is over two years old and I would like to think it is finally now healing - it has been a mare at times. My Single Tragus took over two years to heal as well. Times I nearly retired that.
    Last edited by Mazzy; 04-07-2019 at 01:22 PM.
    Left side - Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, Helix, Rook, Lower Conch and Double Tragus (sadly the bottom one has migrated).

Right side -Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, "Paw" print piercing on the flat of my ear, Tragus, Nostril, Helix and Eyebrow. "Shen Men" piercing, Triple Forward Helix.

Retired - Right Eyebrow's x2.

Quite a few Tattoo's.

Ancient thread, closed. Please try not tp bump up such old threads.

Thanks.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<