Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crooked Septum

Default Crooked Septum

Photos: http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/al...=recent&page=1

I got my septum pierced about 4 days ago and immediately after the ring was put in, I noticed that it was noticeably off center.

I mentioned this to the piercer and he said it's a blind piercing so there's no guarantees it will always be straight and he also said everyone's nose is built differently and my nose/septum might be the reason it looks off center. He recommended I "train" it by gently moving it in the direction it should be several times a day while its still healing, and that if I was still unhappy I could come back and get it re-pierced for free.

I've been "training" it by gently tugging on it in the other direction with clean hands and it seems to have slightly improved by not by much - perhaps this is because it's only been a few days.

I definitely don't want to re-pierce as it hurt a lot and I'm not willing to go through the pain again.

Does the "training" method work? and any suggestions you might have? Do you think it's crooked from the shape of my nose, or because he pierced it crooked?

Also, once it's healed, I plan on switching to a much smaller ring (in diameter and gauge). Do you think this will make the crookedness less obvious?
    Last edited by marie.alex; 01-21-2017 at 04:23 AM.

Your piercer is talking crap, if it's wonky then it's wonky and there's no reason for it and no way you can "train" it, the blind thing is nonsense as well, they can see and feel up there and should understand anatomy.

Although it depends on "crooked" some people think it's crooked when it's just the asymmetry of most noses, of course some are just botched.

To post a pic upload it to a hosting site and post the link here. Try taking clear photos from different angles so we can actually determine what's going on.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Here, I took a bunch of photos Hazel: http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/al...=recent&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Your piercer is talking crap, if it's wonky then it's wonky and there's no reason for it and no way you can "train" it, the blind thing is nonsense as well, they can see and feel up there and should understand anatomy.

Although it depends on "crooked" some people think it's crooked when it's just the asymmetry of most noses, of course some are just botched.

To post a pic upload it to a hosting site and post the link here. Try taking clear photos from different angles so we can actually determine what's going on.
    Hazel - do you think I should go back and ask for a refund? Or get it taken out and start over? Will it close up alright if I just take it out? Also, now that I have photos, do you think it was necessary for them to pierce me with such a large hoop? I asked for a smaller one but he said it has to be that big for the first 6 weeks.

Thank you!

Default Crooked Septum (photos included)

Photos: http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/al...=recent&page=1

I got my septum pierced about 4 days ago and immediately after the ring was put in, I noticed that it was noticeably off center.

I mentioned this to the piercer and he said it's a blind piercing so there's no guarantees it will always be straight and he also said everyone's nose is built differently and my nose/septum might be the reason it looks off center. He recommended I "train" it by gently moving it in the direction it should be several times a day while its still healing, and that if I was still unhappy I could come back and get it re-pierced for free.

I've been "training" it by gently tugging on it in the other direction with clean hands and it seems to have slightly improved by not by much - perhaps this is because it's only been a few days but that's what the piercer told me to do.

What do you guys think? Should I go back and ask for a refund? Should I take out the hoop and let it heal? It's really bothering me that he did it so wonky.

Do you think if I switched to a hoop that was smaller in diameter it will make the crookedness less obvious?

I think this is a jewellery issue more than anything, it seems a touch slanted but that could be because of swelling.

Your best bet would be to find a good piercer who knows what they are doing and ask for an assessment and a jewellery change.

Where do you live?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I live in Seattle, Washington (USA)

What kind of jewelry do you suggest? Something smaller/larger? Or a retainer maybe?

Much smaller, retainers can be helpful, just flip it up for 6-8 weeks and it's usually pretty much healed.

You have 8 APP registered piercers in Seattle:

Chuck, Chance and Jeremey @ Pierced Hearts
    Joshua, Adam and Justin @ Slave to the Needle
    Kellan @ Deep Roots
    Jake @ Aperture Body Arts

Their details can all be found on the APP website safepiercing.org

Awesome, thank you! When do you think it's safe to change it? (Like after how many weeks?) and do you think I should stick to 16 gauge?

I wouldn't think about changing it just yet or what gauge to wear. You need to go see one of the piercers I listed first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast