Thread: Can't undo my helix labrets

Default Can't undo my helix labrets

Any tips on unscrewing them? I just cannot unscrew them at all. These are the downsized ones I had put in.
    I have no problems with my lobe ones that I put in but these are really tight. They are healing really well but I think I've cut the outside with my finger nails trying to grip the bar to turn it.
    I'm thinking of either pliers, but then I'd need to go and buy some, or maybe latex gloves, like the piercer wore, because they may go better although I don't have any of those either.
    Any ideas?
    Current:
    - Left lobe x 2 - Left Outer Helix recent 1.2mm needle - Right Outer Helix recent 1.2mm needle
    - One tattoo on right shoulder/upper arm

Retired:
    - Left Outer Helix x 2 - Right Outer Helix x 2 - Nose - Nose (2nd time) - Left nipple - Chest surface - Left index finger (Accident with a stapler)

At the risk of offending you by stating the blindingly obvious....you are trying to unscrew them by turning anti- clockwise aren't you?

Assuming you are, I had the same issue a few weeks ago - in the end I went back to the piercer

First he tried latex gloves
    Next double gloving (gives even more grip)
    Then one set of pliers
    Then a second set...

I obviously couldn't see what he was doing but the friend who was with me said his face was a picture!

I'd try in the order above.

(passing thought - they are the ones that do screw on are they? Not the threadless sort....)
    Last edited by dragonsoup; 12-04-2016 at 10:50 AM.
    Caro

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsoup View Post
    At the risk of offending you by stating the blindingly obvious....you are trying to unscrew them by turning anti- clockwise aren't you?

Assuming you are, I had the same issue a few weeks ago - in the end I went back to the piercer

First he tried latex gloves
    Next double gloving (gives even more grip)
    Then one set of pliers
    Then a second set...

I obviously couldn't see what he was doing but the friend who was with me said his face was a picture!

I'd try in the order above.

(passing thought - they are the ones that do screw on are they? Not the threadless sort....)
    Despite being an engineer of nearly 20 years, even I've being doing things up instead of undoing, but not on this occasion

They are screw ones.

I've tried rubber gloves, I even tried needle nosed pliers that I found but no luck. My fingers are now hurting from trying.
    Current:
    - Left lobe x 2 - Left Outer Helix recent 1.2mm needle - Right Outer Helix recent 1.2mm needle

Retired:
    - Left Outer Helix x 2 - Right Outer Helix x 2 - Nose - Nose (2nd time) - Left nipple - Chest surface - Left index finger (Accident with a stapler)

Try soaking your ear in warm water (or shower) for a couple of minutes, dry it with a tissue and use latex gloves to unscrew it. There could be some dried lymph or residue that got into the ball which is fusing it to the post. If that does not work then all I can think of it going to your piercer.

Quote Originally Posted by MushroomRabbit View Post
    Try soaking your ear in warm water (or shower) for a couple of minutes, dry it with a tissue and use latex gloves to unscrew it. There could be some dried lymph or residue that got into the ball which is fusing it to the post. If that does not work then all I can think of it going to your piercer.
    I'm going into the shop soon for a small tattoo so I'll see him when I go I think.
    Current:

Retired:

I just tried them after being out and managed to do one straight away with just my fingers. Still can't do the other but it's a little swollen from me messing so harder to grip.
    Current:

Retired:

Done it! Used my previously mentioned engineering skills
    I put an elastic band around the bar near to the ball, twisted it up tight so it grips and then pushed it to my ear so the plate lifted up. I then gripped the plate and turned it hard with latex gloves and it moved. I do a similar thing with string and screwdrivers when I can't get a good grip.
    I've left them in but now finger tight for later changing. Yay!
    Current:

Retired:

Quote Originally Posted by matthussey View Post
    Done it! Used my previously mentioned engineering skills
    I put an elastic band around the bar near to the ball, twisted it up tight so it grips and then pushed it to my ear so the plate lifted up. I then gripped the plate and turned it hard with latex gloves and it moved. I do a similar thing with string and screwdrivers when I can't get a good grip.
    I've left them in but now finger tight for later changing. Yay!
    Yay!
    Caro