Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea salt vs wound care solution

Default Sea salt vs wound care solution

Which is better and why? I know 0.9 sodium chloride is an isotonic salt solution, I wonder if it would be less drying to a piercing than 1/4tsp/8oz water is

Have a read of this: https://forum.bodyjewelleryshop.com/...-Technique-101

I also advocate buying sterile saline solution rather than making your own but that's just me.

I rarely use saline, I rinse in the shower and use emu oil to help crusties.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I've had a lot of piercings, some of them with very little chance of healing, and never have I had an issue. The longest healing times I have had was 9 months for a set of lip studs. This was due to cleaning with saline 3 times a day. When I stopped the saline and started using only water, crusties stopped within a week, and was healed within 2 weeks. I now feel that saline is only needed during the first month or two during healing, and never more than once per day, otherwise it can be very drying/irritating.

My usual aftercare routine (for non-oral) is home-made saline misting once daily, then misting with distilled water twice daily. I soften the crusties by spraying multiple times over 10-15 minutes and remove gently with disposable paper products. I rarely have soaked piercings as I have found this to be drying and difficult to do. Also you use a lot of sea salt / saline solution with soaks.

When I shower I NEVER get the piercing directly into the streams of water. Shower heads put out very high pressure streams of water and they can and do cause trauma to piercings. It is best to let the water run down your body and over the piercing if necessary. However I do not trust the bacteria, chlorine, and all the other garbage left in & put in public water. I always have used a 3 stage water filter ($30 on amazon,) to remove the chlorine and bacteria while showering. Works wonders for your skin, and your piercings will surely thank you to avoid harsh chlorine. If it dries out your skin, it's wreaking havoc on healing times for your piercings.

This is from personal experience with 11 piercings. Including some difficult to heal surface bars on my face. Other piercings I have are 3 lip piercings, tongue, nipples, Prince Albert (stupid easy to heal,) 3/4" earlobes, bridge, 2 * anti-eyebrows (Surface bars.) I have worked closely with many renowned professional piercers from around the USA and learned much about aftercare. Most piercers, off-the-clock and off-the-record will tell you that they feel nothing is needed but clean, sterile water to soften and remove crusties, and simply leaving the piercings alone as much as humanly possible.
    Last edited by LegitLogics; 12-09-2016 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LegitLogics View Post
    I have worked closely with many renowned professional piercers from around the USA...
    Oooh exciting, doing what and who with? Why would they say only sterile water off the record? Lots are very vocal about minimal aftercare these days.

I only rinse in the shower and sometimes use sterile saline in a can. Almost 50 piercings in, never had a problem
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Oooh exciting, doing what and who with? Why would they say only sterile water off the record? Lots are very vocal about minimal aftercare these days.

I only rinse in the shower and sometimes use sterile saline in a can. Almost 50 piercings in, never had a problem
    I am always interested in learning more about piercing procedures and have wanted to apprentice for a long time. My ultimate goal would be to open my own shop, like most. However I have had to move around a lot for one reason or another, so I was never able to stay working with any one shop for very long. By "Working With" I mean watching the piercers work off-the-clock doing piercings on friends, or working on-the-clock on myself, and also just discussing things. I have had the opportunity to practice several "easier" piercings under the supervision of professional piercers including tongues, lips, and nipples.

I honestly cannot remember every single shop / piercer I have seen over the last 15 years. As I usually move every 1-3 years. I'm still looking for where I want to call "home." However my favorite shop was Primal Decor in Eureka, CA. This is where I had my surface bars done. She is an amazing person and incredibly talented piercer. "Renowned" may be a bit strong of word. As none of the shops I have been to are truly renowned besides High Priestess in Portland, OR. Not that that being "famous" is really important. Many a good piercer never get famous.

The reason why a lot of piercers will not publicly admit that only clean water is necessary for healing is because a lot of people will quote the APP's guide to aftercare, or the fact that 99% of people (and piercers) seem to think Saline / S.S.S.'s are critical to healing piercings. After all, recommending only water is similar to recommending no aftercare what-so-ever. Certainly not a good thing for a shop to have a reputation for.

I think cleaning once a day with a shower is plenty as long as crusties are being removed in the process. You do not want discharge sitting around and growing bacteria. Discharge (crusties) = food for bacteria. Some piercings however, mostly lip and oral piercings require more frequent care simply because they move around a lot while eating. And most people eat at at least 3 meals per day. I eat 5 or 6 because I have a fast metabolism. I brush after every other meal, and rinse my mouth with sea salt after each meal. I gently mist my oral piercings 3 times a day, and clean crusties morning & night. Usually I wet the corner of a (hopefully sterile) paper towel and gently dab away crusties without moving the jewelry. Other piercings rarely require more than once a day cleaning though, you are very right.

50 Piercings is quite a lot! Obviously you are very dedicated to body mods!
    Last edited by LegitLogics; 12-09-2016 at 05:15 PM.

Ah I see, I know of a lot of the reknowned US piercers and even chat to some of them. I get what you mean about the APP stuff but most good piercers, even APP one's make it clear that guidelines are just that: A guide, a recommendation. Rather than a rule to be followed.

As before, standard piercings get rinsed in the shower, sometimes I'll do an extra clean with sterile canned saline and sterile gauze when it's young. If it's pissy later on down the line I use emu oil to calm itches and soften any crusties that may develop in my sleep but that's not very often. For oral mods I pretty much do sod all, it gets cleaned along with my face each day, gentle wipe away of any lymph and that's it.

I do think SSS and hot compresses have their place in aftercare but not as a standard thing and again it's becoming a LOT more common now and after collective knowledge is shared, piercers recommend saline because you can easily and cheaply buy it sterilised. However, getting things in writing or associations to change information isn't easy. Look at Elaynes book for example, I would say there's a fair amount of outdated info in there. It doesn't mean it's "bad" or "wrong", just that it's become a lesser preferred way of doing things.

My modification artist is a UKAPP member and is happy to give shower rinsing as aftercare but will also recommend the benefits of doing more in certain situations. Again, I honestly do think it's client dependent though. If it's someone new to piercing or who seems they may try to "dry-heal" (aka hands-off-healing where you literally do nothing) then telling them to soak twice a day may well ensure they do something. I know so absolutely loads of piercees who say "I've been told to soak it but it's too messy/hard/annoying/whatever so I just rinse it in the shower).

It's the same when your doctor gives you medication and the label says to eat with meals. Occasionally this is for digestive reasons, most of the time, it's to actually link 2 things in your head so you actually take the tablets.

There's certainly some psychology involved

Dedicated, yes. Absolutely fascinated as well. I've pretty much been told in the past that I have most of the knowledge of piercing in my head aside from the practical side. I'm a medical nerd, I have read up on BBP (never done a course though, assume you have?), related anatomy, skin disorders/reactions etc. I've read a lot and seen a lot and had a lot too haha! From punches to single point piercing to normal piercing to play piercing to cartilage removal and more

It's an absolute love of mine, as is being tattooed. I'd never work in the industry though, one for seeing what it can be like, two for how much hard work it is, three I don't really like 1-2-1 contact with people and 4...well I can't work a normal job anyhoo haha!

I admire great artists though. So much so that my 2 mod artists and my tattoo artist are all now very good friends of mine. ^_^
    Last edited by Boo; 12-09-2016 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Dedicated, yes. Absolutely fascinated as well. I've pretty much been told in the past that I have most of the knowledge of piercing in my head aside from the practical side. I'm a medical nerd, I have read up on BBP (never done a course though, assume you have?), related anatomy, skin disorders/reactions etc. I've read a lot and seen a lot and had a lot too haha! From punches to single point piercing to normal piercing to play piercing to cartilage removal and more

It's an absolute love of mine, as is being tattooed. I'd never work in the industry though, one for seeing what it can be like, two for how much hard work it is, three I don't really like 1-2-1 contact with people and 4...well I can't work a normal job anyhoo haha!

I admire great artists though. So much so that my 2 mod artists and my tattoo artist are all now very good friends of mine. ^_^
    Who doesn't love tattoos?! However, I am a terrible artist when it comes to "drawing" so that is certainly not a skill I shall ever possess. I do not have the drive to get past my steep learning curve for that skill. I've accepted it... even though it does sadden me sometimes that it is not one of my natural skills.

I've been fascinated by piercings more-so than tattoos since I first laid eyes on a labret piercing when I was around 5-6 years old. I grew up in Wyoming (USA) and it is a very rural state with a very closed minded and judgmental population. Body mods are heavily shunned. Even so much so that some will seek violence on any one heavily modified. Hence my fascination, it was simply so rare!

Sea salt soaks certainly do have their place. They did wonders for my surface bars for some reason. Where as in other piercings it caused more irritation. Each piercing seems to have personality as well in some aspects. I couldn't speculate why they heal so differently

I do indeed have my BBP certification, though it probably needs renewed. I have not dug it out of my documents in a long time. It is a very simple course. I'm hoping by the time I am 35 I will be able to start apprenticing full time for several years. Right now I am working on getting a food truck business up and running so I can work for myself and make better money. Working full time for free for at least a year apprenticing is what has held me back from becoming a pro piercer. I cannot work 65+ hours a week anymore. I have physical ailments that hold me back from that. Stress does kill after all and lack of sleep doesn't help anything. I used to work 70-80 hours a week for most of the 6 years from age 18 to 24. Certainly took its toll.

I feel like we are totally getting off topic

But it's nice to talk to a fellow like-minded individual that I can agree with! I can't tell you how rare that is for me online. Elsewhere I just got done arguing how picking at crusties on a piercing with tweezers is an awful idea :P

Am sure the op won't mind, they never came back anyways and tbh I run the forum so I doubt we'll get in any trouble

Yeah the working for free or very little part is what puts most people off apprenticeships, they're hard to pull off unless you have savings or are being supported in some way. I remember that age group too, I worked my ass off. Same as you, I can't do it these days, many reasons prevent me.

But to the op, normal wound care isn't right for modifications, mainly because of the way you want it to heal. You want a cut/graze to close up and heal over. A piercing is a totally different thing, you want to create a healed and supportive fistula for a start.

I was told using the contact solution is good for cleaning piercings. I have been using it on my daith and tragus piercings and had done great. Now using it on my helix piercings.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuttermanswife View Post
    I was told using the contact solution is good for cleaning piercings. I have been using it on my daith and tragus piercings and had done great. Now using it on my helix piercings.
    Terrible idea, contact lens solution contains chemicals too harsh for piercings. They're for cleaning contact lenses, not for wounds/piercings. Unless you mean saline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast