Thread: No judging please- 7 year old daughter earrings not healing

Default No judging please- 7 year old daughter earrings not healing

I know I made a mistake AFTER getting my daughters ears pierced at Claire's in the mall... This was on August 10th, and I had been using the cleaning solution for the first month that they gave us, but with turning them etc they got irritated and some blood drops would come out during cleaning, so after about September 1st I have been using wound care spray- it's sterile .09 sodium chloride, and that definitely did something right as they don't bleed anymore and look better, less crust stuff forming etc, in fact they look healed... I even went to a very reputable tattoo shop nearby and had them look at her ears and they said yes- they look healed and we can change them if ur too nervous.

so the other day- 3 months after getting them pierced- I took the earrings out and she said that hurt a bit- I thought she was joking- but once u remove the earrings, the front earlobe looks GREAT! But what u cannot see behind the butterfly clasp is that the back of the hole on the back of the earlobes look raw and just not healed! I must say I was pretty fast at putting that first new earring in, and she said it hurt, and when I went to put the next new one in, I couldn't do it!! The hole was closing within 10 seconds! I quick used the original earrings and put both back in as they have a point at the end and it was enough to push through before they completely closed... The one earlobe where it was tight and I had to use a tad bit of pressure to get it back in- no has some crust stuff on the back- just like when they were first healing that first week after piercing. She has said they don't hurt, and she's not touching them, the problem comes when you take out the earrings! Of course Claire's is beyond confused and clearly have no skills, and tattoo shops are all telling me different things!
    my daughter was in tears saying she wants to keep her earrings in, and that they don't hurt her unless I try to change them so I should leave them be.. She's got a strong personality lol, but clearly they're not healing... They do NOT look infected, no pus or blood etc, just that crusty material on the back of the one earring that was closing up
    i do NOT twist them anymore, we just spray the sodium chloride on front and back until they looked healed, they're 14 karat white gold from Claire's and I'm wondering if she's not healing as the jewlery isn't good enough for her ears? Also the irritated back earlobes are strictly only irritated behind the butterfly clasp which even the piercer at tattoo shop didn't even notice, only when u take it out can u tell!
    My best idea would be to get her titanium barbells, and YES the earring backings aren't too tight- they have always had room! And it wouldn't explain why the inside of the holes themselves are trying to close up right away
    if I get a titanium barbell for her, I cannot find ANY at local tattoo shops or online that are 20 gauge- that's what she's at now, and I'm scared the 18 gauge at tattoo shops will be tight and cause further problems... Anyone think it's a good idea to switch to 18 gauge from 20 gauge earrings on her? I don't want to hurt her with that, but If anyone knows where I can get 20 gauge titanium barbells that would be great! Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated thank u!!!

Remove these incredibly thin pieces of junk from your poor child's ear and allow her lobes to heal.

Re-pierce in a few months by a professional with a needle.

Well done on realising your mistake. Please stop the trauma now.

A little blunt, but I get your point.. Again she's not in pain.. Unless we change them. But I am getting that I'm going to have to explain to her that they just can't stay in and ignored... I actually called one last tattoo shop and he said bring her in today and he would re pierce her ears in a different spot for less cost, if I do it today... No thanks! I just feel bad that she doesn't want me to take them out so it will be a long discussion tonight
    Last edited by Briannadee; 11-07-2016 at 10:40 PM.

She's probably allergic to the cheap metal in the butterfly backs. Whist the studs may be gold I doubt the backs are.

If you can get hold of some proper gold butterfly backs then you could try them and see if they settle down. If they don't though then yes take them out and let them heal for a few weeks before getting them redone somewhere reputable
    Caro

I'm no expert by any means, but I wonder if you just leave them completely alone for a couple of months, they may just sort themselves out and heal. I had my six year olds pierced recently with needles and the piercer said just leave them alone. She made what I thought was a very valid point that when you're operated on, you don't mess with your healing wound. We have left them alone, just letting the shower run over them and they are perfect. There's been no crust or anything. I would be tempted to leave them and see what happens.

*** I had to update you all!! My hubby found a local jewler after research, that makes pure titanium and niobium(?) earrings, and we put those in 3 days ago, and her earrings are healing!! They no longer look raw in the back, or irritated!! It doesn't hurt her to clean them, but she did say the other day they were a bit itchy- I assume that's a good thing! I think she definitely has a sensitivity to anything with nickel in it.. Or whatever else was in those 14k white gold posts

Quote Originally Posted by watermelon View Post
    Remove these incredibly thin pieces of junk from your poor child's ear and allow her lobes to heal.

Re-pierce in a few months by a professional with a needle.

Well done on realising your mistake. Please stop the trauma now.
    I agree with this. You want them to be 16 ideally and implant grade titanium polished to a mirror finish.

But if you're happy because they're not hurting her any more than that's your decision. Just keep a very close eye on them migrating/rejecting.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Fallon

Oh my.

Does she want the earrings? I think you should ask her what she wants as far as leaving them in or taking them out.