Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reactions to Sleeves

Default Reactions to Sleeves

Question for those of you with sleeves: what has been the general reaction to your work? I know it's going to vary, but was wondering if people are tending to be more accepting. Have a great idea for at least one sleeve but I also don't want to be judged the minute I walk in the door (may just opt for a half sleeve). What have been your experiences?

Most people compliment me, some stare and I hate the touchers/pokers, they get on my nerves.

I've had some give negative opinions when not asked so I just ignore them but that's not happened often, I've also had people try and take photos without asking a couple of times which was just odd lol

The general reaction, as in the majority is that people generally don't give a sh*t. I stopped caring what people think of me a very long time ago though so maybe I'm not noticing people's micro actions/judgements.

I have a full sleeve, part of a sleeve, both hands tattooed and a full chest piece as well as some other work.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Most people compliment me, some stare and I hate the touchers/pokers, they get on my nerves.

I've had some give negative opinions when not asked so I just ignore them but that's not happened often, I've also had people try and take photos without asking a couple of times which was just odd lol

The general reaction, as in the majority is that people generally don't give a sh*t. I stopped caring what people think of me a very long time ago though so maybe I'm not noticing people's micro actions/judgements.

I have a full sleeve, part of a sleeve, both hands tattooed and a full chest piece as well as some other work.
    Thanks for the great input Hazel. I guess my main hangup is that I don't want it to impact my professional career, which is something I feel I (unfortunately) have to consider. I'm beyond caring what random people in the street think, it's potential business relations that worry me. I may just go for the half-sleeve combined with a chest piece, not quite sure. Thanks again!

Oh right, I didn't know this related to career, sorry! (I must have misread it!)

All depends on the career really.

I'm self employed, 'nuff said.
    Last edited by Boo; 09-21-2016 at 03:07 AM.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Oh right, I didn't know this related to career, sorry!

All depends on the career really.

I'm self employed, 'nuff said.
    Unfortunately so. Being in an executive position lends itself to being expected to be "straight-laced."

Quote Originally Posted by jw99 View Post
    Unfortunately so. Being in an executive position lends itself to being expected to be "straight-laced."
    Glad I'm well out of it now tbh, I got pretty much all my mods since leaving such positions. Then again, I'd often wear a suit to work so a lot would be covered regardless.

I think things are changing and a few discreet mods now pass. I had a very senior role and no one ever commented on my nose stud and multiple ear piercings and many of the younger accountants had small visible tattoos - foot/ankle or back of neck for example. I even forgot to remove my nose stud for an interview for a very traditional (stuffy!) practice and was offered the job. They never even mentioned it.
    Caro

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsoup View Post
    I think things are changing and a few discreet mods now pass. I had a very senior role and no one ever commented on my nose stud and multiple ear piercings and many of the younger accountants had small visible tattoos - foot/ankle or back of neck for example. I even forgot to remove my nose stud for an interview for a very traditional (stuffy!) practice and was offered the job. They never even mentioned it.
    I agree with you, and I think as the older generation begins moving out of higher up positions, it may become more acceptable. At the same time, you don't want to be viewed as unprofessional by anyone simply from your tattoos, which, though of course is a stupid correlation, still very pertinent in our society.

I agree with you, and I think as the older generation begins moving out of higher up positions, it may become more acceptable. At the same time, you don't want to be viewed as unprofessional by anyone simply from your tattoos, which, though of course is a stupid correlation, still very pertinent in our society.
    I was client facing and dealing with some ultra high net worth individuals and companies that are household names. I also gave frequent presentations to professional audiences so complete professionalism was required at all times. My piercings were never an issue and no one ever commented I have yet to live down though wearing one blue shoe and one black shoe.... ( yes I did get dressed in the dark!)
    Caro

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsoup View Post
    I was client facing and dealing with some ultra high net worth individuals and companies that are household names. I also gave frequent presentations to professional audiences so complete professionalism was required at all times. My piercings were never an issue and no one ever commented I have yet to live down though wearing one blue shoe and one black shoe.... ( yes I did get dressed in the dark!)
    Interesting perspective, great story! I know in my field there are several tattooed clientele, but it still feels as though the ones with sleeves are looked at differently. I guess the good thing is this does seem to be changing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast