Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rook! :)

Default Rook! :)

There are probably plenty of rook diaries around, but I haven't seen one for a while so I thought I'd add mine.

I've got three lobe piercings in each ear and one helix in my right ear, and I've been looking for something slightly less run-of-the-mill to jazz up my ear. I initially wanted a daith, but as a lot of people seem to find the get in the way of wearing in-hear headphones I shelved that plan as I spend most of my life wearing headphones. So, I decided to get my rook pierced. My piercing was performed by Olly at Factotum in Norwich; he did my septum about a month ago and was so professional whilst also putting me completely at ease that I has no second thoughts about going back to him.

Olly took a good look at my ear and suggested a couple of different placements that would suit my anatomy before I decided on one. My rook was pierced with a straight bar (which I was surprised by, as most of the ones I've seen have been with curves but I trust Olly's judgement!) with an IS faux-opal on the top, and a flat disk at the bottom to give it a more subtle look. The piercing itself didn't hurt anywhere near as much as I expected it to, I was really surprised! It's one that quite a few people seem to find agonising, but I think that my third lobes hurt more. I don't tend to get all that nervous or worried about piercing pain, though, which probably helps - it's all over in a couple of seconds, anyway!

He offered me an aftercare factsheet (SSS twice a day, the usual!), but I still had the one he gave me after my septum was pierced. He also mentioned that he'd recently come across some sterile saline wound cleaning wipes which he said were available from the pharmacy, and that he thought were great for cleaning piercings. His rationale for suggesting them was that they are always going to be at 0.9% saline, whereas making it yourself is inevitably going to add an aspect of variability to the saline percentage. Also, they're going to be more sterile than making the SS solution yourself. I'm personally going to try out the LITHA method (it's working like a dream for my septum), but if I start having issues I might give these wipes a go.

All in all, a great experience!

Edit: Photos! (Sorry about the horrible dry skin on my ears - that's thanks to the alcohol wipe he used to clean my ear before piercing it!)

Last edited by Livvi; 09-15-2016 at 02:38 PM.

Looks cute! Happy healing!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Looks cute! Happy healing!
    Thanks Hazel. I've got my fingers crossed for an uneventful healing period!
    Right ear: Three lobes, one rook
    Left ear: Three lobes
    Other: Septum
    Retired: Helix

I love this. I got my rook pierced 9 years ago with a straight bar and it's still perfect today. I want the other one done!

Quote Originally Posted by watermelon View Post
    I love this. I got my rook pierced 9 years ago with a straight bar and it's still perfect today. I want the other one done!
    Thanks, I love it too! It's great to hear from someone who also had their rook pierced with a straight bar - I have seen SO many curved ones that I was feeling like the odd one out!

...Oh dear. Things really aren't going so well.

In the first 24 hours my rook swelled so much that it completely engulfed the bar that was in there. I went to see Olly yesterday and he changed it to a longer bar with a ball on the end (OW!), as he was concerned that using another disc would make it dig into my skin again. I hoped that'd mean it would settle down, and I applied cold compresses as he suggested.

Sadly that doesn't seem to have done anything and it's continued to swell, engulfing the new bar. I think I might have to go and see him again today. :(

Oh heck, I hope it settles for you soon! Is it sore at all?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Oh heck, I hope it settles for you soon! Is it sore at all?
    It is so, so sore. I only got a couple of hours of sleep last night because it was throbbing and hurting so much. I've been wearing contact lenses since I had it done because I can't bear my glasses touching the back of my ear. Pretty sure it can't be infected, though, because an infection would take WAY longer to set in than this, surely!

I'm not really sure what to do. This doesn't exactly seem like a normal reaction to being pierced, but I don't have a huge amount of experiencing with cartilage piercings so I can't really tell whether this is how healing goes for me and it'll get better in a few days, or whether his is going to continue getting worse and I need to give up on it now. There's no way I could take it out myself (I can barely see the bottom ball from the outside anymore) but if I don't go and see Olly today I won't have the opportunity to until Tuesday, because the shop is shut. Argh. :/

Go see him and maybe consider going to a walk-in centre, it could be an infection.

Go see him and maybe consider going to a walk-in centre, it could be an infection.
    Thanks for your advice Hazel, I've just been to see him as a result. He took the straight bar out, put a big ol' curved one in so it shouldn't keep pressing against the back of my ear if it swells more (which it probably will consider the trauma it just went through)! He doesn't think it's infected - he flushed it through with saline and the only thing coming out was red blood, nothing nasty - he just thinks it's horrendously swollen. I'm going to keep an eye on it for now; if it doesn't go down I'll consider a walk-in centre, but I know how stupid they can be about piercings sometimes, and Olly reminded me that they'll probably want me to take it out if I do go to one, but to ignore that as the piercing would need to drain. He also gave me his mobile number for over the weekend in case things get worse.

I am so glad I found this forum, and the list of recommended piercers. I know for a fact that the place I got my helix done wouldn't have offered anywhere near this much care and attention, and even if this piercing doesn't work out I would definitely still recommend Olly to others, he's been brilliant.
    Last edited by Livvi; 09-17-2016 at 03:48 PM. Reason: I can't spell :)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast