Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rook! :)

My piercings don't like soaks at all and they're fast going out of favour in the community and profession. In your case though Livvi I do think cold compresses can help, maybe ditch the salt/saline. It's looking way better though.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

You're definitely both right - I think I'm also one of those people who doesn't really suit the SSS method. I wasn't even using a 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt, and the skin where my ear joins my head has gone all flaky. You can see it in the photo below.. mmm, lovely. :P On top of that, my helix started *bleeding* yesterday, and considering it's over a year and hasn't bled in an extremely long time I don't think it's a coincidence. To add insult to injury my third lobe is also being a bit pissy (I'm tempted to take it out and get it re-done anyway because it's been a pain for its entire existence) so I've put a high quality titanium labret in it to hopefully calm it down. My poor ear, it's not had a fun week!

I skipped any sort of soak last night as to give my skin a rest and it's looking miles better today! I think the cold soaks have definitely helped up until this point, but I don't reckon I need to continue with them based on how good it's looking now, but it'd be great to hear from people who know more than me. I don't really know if this is the sort of piercing where downsizing is a good idea, so any advice on that would be great too (although I wouldn't attempt it for a while)!

I know I've been posting in this thread a lot (and hopefully unless anything else dramatic happens I won't have to for a while) but I thought it might be really useful for anyone else who is prone to ridiculous amounts of swelling, because at least they'll know what to expect. Even if your entire ear blows up like a balloon it may only be temporary! :P
    Right ear: Three lobes, one rook
    Left ear: Three lobes
    Other: Septum
    Retired: Helix

Senior Member beautiful-disaster's Avatar

it's looking loads better already hopefully it's on route to a happy Rook
    What I have
    Left ear: 18mm lobe , 1.6mm lobe , daith , conch
    Right ear: 18mm lobe , 1.6mm lobe , tragus , scaffold , rook
    monroe
    tongue
    right nipple
    VCH
    Septum

an abundance of Inkies

Contemplating..

double nostrils, nipple (L), orbital, cleavage MD's, christina

call me Manda
    ^3^

I'd give it until the start of next week and if it's still behaving go see Olly and see if he thinks a downsize is a good idea at that point.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Time for an update I think!

It's been, what, nearly four weeks since I first got my rook pierced? After the initial hissy fit it's been pretty well behaved; a bit sore-looking around the entry and exit holes, but I think that's to be expected considering how much it swelled. The long bar was flapping around a bit, so earlier today I went to go and get it downsized. I caved and bought a little gold bee as a 'well done for handing in your PhD thesis' present to myself, which has meant I've had to go down from a 14g to a 16g. I'm not particularly fussed about that, to be honest, everything else I have is 16g.

Right now it's a bit swollen/bloody after today's jewellery change (the photo makes it look worse than it is), but it's already going down. I've not been soaking it, just rinsing it in the shower, and that seems to be doing the trick.

All-in-all, things are going pretty well! Olly said that I might want to go back and have a shorter bar put in when the swelling has gone down even further, but to be honest I might just stick with this one, it's not going to get in the way.
    Right ear: Three lobes, one rook
    Left ear: Three lobes
    Other: Septum
    Retired: Helix

Love that bee!
    Caro

This is a piercing I would love to get and seeing yours has made me look into it a little bit more. I really love the little bee for your bar.

That bee is so cute! It makes me want to get a rook

Aww I just got my rook pierced too - where did you get the bee from?

Quote Originally Posted by endersgame View Post
    Aww I just got my rook pierced too - where did you get the bee from?
    It's a 14k solid gold end made by Body Gems. You can order it from piercers who have a contract with them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast