Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rook! :)

Ah that's so lovely of him!! And yes, there's never a reason to take it out, even if infected as long as there's room on the bar etc.

Just do all the things to alleviate swelling and keep an eye on it <3
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Senior Member Piercedprincess84's Avatar

Lovely addition ☺️
    ❤️ Sarah ❤️
    Pierced x39
    7 in each lobe
    1st hole stretched to 12mm, 2nd hole to 5mm
    Tragus in both ears
    Surface tragus in right
    Helix in right ear
    Helix in left ear
    Daith in right ear
    Industrial in right ear
    Conch in left ear
    Cheeks
    Bridge
    Right eyebrow x2
    left eye brow
    Septum 8g
    Snakebites
    Labret
    Angelbites
    Both nostrils and higher nostrils
    Tattooed x12
    More metal and ink planned!!
    http://Instagram.com/piercedprincess84
    http://facebook.com/piercedprincesssarah

Ow that looks sore - are you able to take ibuprofen? It may help reduce the swelling a bit.
    Caro

ouch. I hope it settles down soon for you that looks really painful.
    2g lobes, 18g forward helix (L), 14g Conch (L), 16g Double helix (L) 14g Daith (R), and 18g right nostril. 16g Septum.
    2 hours of ink.
    Retired: Gunned 20g lobes many years ago, 16g Tragus, 18g third (L), 18g Forward helix (bottom of double)(L) 14g Philtrum x 2, 18g second (L).

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Ah that's so lovely of him!! And yes, there's never a reason to take it out, even if infected as long as there's room on the bar etc.

Just do all the things to alleviate swelling and keep an eye on it <3
    He even said that it was his birthday weekend, but if I needed help or advice to contact him! Such a lovely guy.

In terms of looking after it I'm sort of leaving it alone most of the time, but when I'm showering I'm making sure the water that hits my ear is cool, and I've been letting my SSSs cool in the fridge before I use it as that's really soothing. I had been trying cold compresses, but honestly I think that anything touching it was making it more upset, cold or otherwise, so for now I'm just dunking it in a cold SSSs twice a day. I'm also taking ibuprofen as often as I can. If anyone else has any suggestions as to what I can do to reduce the swelling without actually touching it, please let me know!

Thanks for all the comments/sympathy everyone! <3 The good news is it's looking a lot less angry today. It's still really swollen (unsurprisingly), but some of the definition is coming back to my cartilage... does that make sense? It's not just a big swollen red mass, you can actually see that there are some contours there, so I'm going to take that as a good sign. Right now I'm not in any pain, but the pain I was feeling last night/earlier today was more of a dull ache, which I think is probably due to the trauma caused by having a curved bar put through what was a straight hole.

I'll try and post some photos later to show you the difference in swelling, but right now I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.
    Right ear: Three lobes, one rook
    Left ear: Three lobes
    Other: Septum
    Retired: Helix

Sounds like it's settling nicely.

Use an extra pillow at night, if you have long hair, bun or ponytail it on the same side of your head so can't roll onto it in your sleep. I agree with the cold SSS and nothing else, ibuprofen will help too.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

The swelling has been coming and going over the last 24 hours - it just seems to randomly balloon sometimes. I don't think I can really be all that surprised about that, though, it did have the bar changed twice within the first three days of its existence! It was really painful last night (not helped by the fact that I managed to roll on it in my sleep, despite my best efforts to stop that happening) but I think the general trend is one of slow improvement. I am still considering going to see a GP about it because it is still quite swollen and I am a bit twitchy about infections. If there aren't significant improvements by midweek I will. It's throwing out a fair bit of lymph (I'm assuming lymph because it doesn't smell of anything :P) and it's been a bit itchy this morning, which I usually associate with healing.

This is a photo of it before I had the straight bar swapped out for the curved bar vs. a photo I took this morning post-soak. Sorry for how massive the photo it is! On the bright side you can see all the gory detail...

I have learned one thing from all of this, though: getting a new piercing when you're in the final week of writing up your PhD thesis is a BAD idea!

It looks a lot happier! Rooks do swell. Even a year on my ear would swell for no apparent reason. It was months before the swelling subsided completely and I was sure my ear was never going to go back to its original size. It did though - eventually...

Good luck with the thesis!
    Caro

Thanks dragonsoup! I'll be so glad when I've finally handed it in...

So, with regards to my rook, the swelling has gone down a lot in the last couple of days. The piercing isn't warm, it's no longer sore, and it doesn't really hurt all that much if I accidentally knock my ear. I do think I may have been over cleaning it, however, as the top hole is looking pretty manky at the moment. It's been kicking out so much gunk that I've been trying to clean it off with clean gauze every time I soak the piercing, and I think that's probably not done it much good. It looks as though the skin around the entrance hole has kind of.. cracked open? You can sort of see it beginning to happen in the photo from 2 days ago (see my last post!), but it's got worse since. I don't *think* it's infected, because it doesn't hurt, it's not hot or sore, and I'm feeling fairly healthy, but if it gets worse I'll go to the doctors.

It looks so gloopy right now because I've decided to leave it alone and not clean off the gunk for a bit. If it really swells up I'll do a cold SSS. My helix piercing really doesn't seem to like all the SSSs - it's developed a bump! Typical!:P

SSS twice a day is going to be very drying. I'm a great believer in leaving the body to sort itself out so I don't do the soaking thing as a general rule - a quick blast in the shower is all the pampering mine generally get unless I think they need a bit more TLC in which case they get a gentle rinse in a warm herbal solution. I've only had to do it a few times though as the current healers ( snugs) have always settled back to the currently default slightly swollen state very quickly.
    Caro

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast