Thread: Conch piercing size?

Question Conch piercing size?

Hiya, wanting to get a conch piercing in my left ear. Went into the shop just to ask a few questions, one of which was what size needle do you use (im a wimp).
    The guy at this particular shop said 1.6mm but this seems huge?

My first concern is pain..anyone with this piercing how did you find it? I have double lobes, a tragus, helix and belly done so far.

Secondly, i'm worried the jewellery is going to look too chunky in my ear. I'm picturing a belly ring sized bar through my ear and just dont think its going to look right. Having seen pictures of more dainty looking conch rings, is it possible to downsize once its healed somewhat? Or maybe ask at other shops to see if any will pierce it smaller?

Finally, how does cartilage tend to heal if the jewellery is ever taken out? I don't really want a huge hole left in my ear if i decide in the future to remove it haha.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    TIA

1.6mm is standard for a conch piercing. If you want it to look dainty, ask for a small end on it. No hole will be left if you remove it.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Mine is at a 1.2mm, but it wasn't done by the best of piercers so I can't think that's the best size. You can't really tell the difference between getting pierced at a gauge difference that small. You can downsize it yourself once healed, yes. I also prefer the look of 16G/1.2mm bars, especially if you are really going to wear a hoop as, for me, the smaller the gauge the daintier it looks. 3mm balls usually do the job of making it look dainty if you can't find anywhere to pierce it at a smaller gauge.
    Issy/Isobel
    Present:

Left ear -
    double lobe 20g/16g, helix 16g, double auricle 16g, rook 16g.
    Right ear - double lobe 20g/16g, conch 16g, helix 16g, anti-tragus 16g.
    Naval 14g

Retired: Rook 16g (R), Helix 16g (L), outer conch 16g (R), conch 16g (R).

My DeviantArt

Personally I found the tragus sorer than the conch, don't worry too much about pain.

I got both mine done 1.2mm, I'd just get it pierced with the 1.6 your piercer prefers and if you feel it is a bit chunky, just wear 1.2mm jewellery.
    If it really bothers you then I'm sure your piercer would do it 1.2

Yv.
    Got: double snakebites|central lip|labret|1.6mm and 5mm tongue|philtrum|angel bites|smiley|septum|3 pairs nostrils|3 pairs eyebrows|bridge|15 & 16 (l&r) lobe/cartilage, rook, 2x tragus, 3x forward helix, conch (both ears symmetrical)|3x navel (74 holes in total)Want: Everything, slowly building up my piercings over time.Next up: venoms; maybe something genital

Thanks for the replies, got it an I love it!

Yay!! You can also downsize it once it's pretty much healed ^_^
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Senior Member Piercedprincess84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beckylouise33 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, got it an I love it!
    How did it go?? ☺️
    ❤️ Sarah ❤️
    Pierced x39
    7 in each lobe
    1st hole stretched to 12mm, 2nd hole to 5mm
    Tragus in both ears
    Surface tragus in right
    Helix in right ear
    Helix in left ear
    Daith in right ear
    Industrial in right ear
    Conch in left ear