Thread: Update on my troublesome nose piercing

Talking Update on my troublesome nose piercing

Hi again. I've been posting in here and reading the forums for a month or so and I've posted about my nostril piercing a couple of times. I'm happy to report that things are starting to improve (I think). My last post was about scar tissue and the battle of the bump. I thought I had the situation under control with my first post regarding chamomile tea compresses, but that wasn't the case.

I wanted to share what I've done and what has worked for me. Please remember, I'm not a professional and I'm only speaking from my personal experience. Some may not agree with my methods, but I believe that you have to figure out what you body wants during the healing process and listen to it. The primary reason I am posting this is to help anyone who has experienced or is experiencing issue with their piercing. Sharing is caring.

Jewelry used: 2 mm Neo Metal Implant Grade Titanium threadless stud. I would highly recommend this brand of jewelry. HIGHLY RECOMMEND. I have had my nose pierced a total of 5 times and this was the only time that I didn't have an actual reaction to the jewelry.

Initial healing routine: Saline Wound Spay twice a day, letting shower water run over the piercing. Switched to Sea Salt Soaks twice a day after two weeks.

5.5 weeks: Bump appeared. I tried chamomile tea at the advice of my piercer once the bump arrived and got large. This managed to take down swelling within days. A new layer of skin appeared and eventually peeled off, but there was still some scaring. I used a CT compress in the a.m. and SSS in the p.m.

Week 10: Continued with above routine. Did a Vitamin E oil mask during sleep at the advice of my piercer.

Frustration sets in: I posted in forum and got some awesome advice on how to completely clear up the scar. I had been keeping up the CT in the a.m. and the SSS in the p.m. as well as the Vitamin E oil mask and the scar just wasn't going away. Here is what I have done for the last week or so to clear up the scar and it truly seems to be working. Again, I am not a professional and my methods work for me and my body. They may not work for you:
    1. Discontinued SSS altogether (week 12)
    2. Discontinued CT compresses altogether (week 12)
    3. Week 12: Replaced CT compresses in the a.m. with a 5 minute soak of 8 oz distilled water (warmed for 40 seconds in the microwave) and 1 (one) drop of tea tree oil (rinsing thoroughly with warm water and dabbing dry). For me, putting more than 1 drop was murder on my skin and wasn't helping the piercing at all. It was irritating it.
    4. Week 12: Tea Tree Oil compresses with same mix for 3 minutes in the afternoon
    5. Week 12: Replaced evening SSS with Tea Tree Oil compress for 5 minutes, got in the shower, wash off the piercing. Yes, you're reading this correctly. I used the TTO compress 3 times a day for the entire healing week 12.
    6. Week 12.5: Use a Vitamin E/Tea Tree Oil mask at night during sleep. 1 tsp of pure Vitamin E oil and 1 drop of tea tree oil. Mix very well and then put a tiny bit on your finger tip, massaging it around the piercing, not in it. Rinse this off in the morning. A side note, this mix is really helping my eczema and my old acne scars as well.
    7. Week 13: Changed out jewelry. My piercer replaced my 2mm piece with a 1.5 mm from Neo Metal and downsized the length of the post. It seems to be allowing the scar to flatten since the jewelry wasn't sitting right on top of it.

When my piercer changed out my jewelry he said that the piercing is healed, for all intense and purposes. I'm at 13.5 weeks today. Patience was the best advice I received, but also I had to experiment with what worked for me. The Vitamin E Oil and the Tea Tree Oil... I would advise caution here. On a freshly done piercing, it may not be the best idea. However, mine is pretty much stable, so I felt like it was okay for me to start using it.

I am still moving forward with this routine. I cut out one of the Tea Tree Oil compresses yesterday and mainly do it in the morning for maybe 3 minutes and right before I shower; just long enough to clean the area really. There is still a tiny, tiny bit of tissue left, but I have faith that I am on the road to recovery.

Thank you to everyone here who gave me advice and listened to me whine. LOL!
    Last edited by teb1976; 07-17-2016 at 04:23 PM.
    Hi, I'm Tracy

Current: 2 standard lobes, R nostril (I'm just getting started).
    Tattoos: Left forearm, Right outer bicep, Left outer bicep
    Future: more, more, more.

I had the same problem and found that same solution! Time and patience seems to be the best medicine sometimes.

Patience definitely is needed; I found the same with mine. Tea tree oil worked well for me.
    Piercings:
    Nose, tongue, navel, both nipples horizontally, VCH, septum

Tattoos:
    Line of butterflies from lower belly round onto back and up to my shoulder, garter tatt on left thigh.

Yay! I'm so glad it's going well for you

TTO is fine as long as the piercing isn't fresh and still in it's initial healing phase or very angry. You did better than me. My healed right nostril piercing got knocked one evening and it formed a HS bump, I tried everything and I mean everything bar the old asprin paste trick as I'm really not keen on it. I took it out, left it a few months and got it re-pierced. It was positively angelic, felt healed by 4 weeks, I didn't do a thing to it, rinse in the shower, occasional wipe with a cotton bud for softened crusties and it's now fine.

Bodies are weird. My philtrum (one that most people heal fine) has been having a b*tch fit for the past 2 weeks, it's driving me mad but I must be patient!! What Neometal end did you go for? I recently saved up and got some 14k gold/white opal ends for mine as a birthday pressie to myself
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Lariegirl View Post
    I had the same problem and found that same solution! Time and patience seems to be the best medicine sometimes.
    I am so glad that most of the hell is over with. I'm still treating with the TTO/E oil at night and doing one TTO soak, but downsizing seemed to make a world of difference. I hit 3 months last week.

Thank God for TTO and patience!
    Hi, I'm Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fi View Post
    Patience definitely is needed; I found the same with mine. Tea tree oil worked well for me.
    This was a challenge for me. I am not the most patient person, so this entire experience was certainly a personal test!
    Hi, I'm Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Yay! I'm so glad it's going well for you

TTO is fine as long as the piercing isn't fresh and still in it's initial healing phase or very angry. You did better than me. My healed right nostril piercing got knocked one evening and it formed a HS bump, I tried everything and I mean everything bar the old asprin paste trick as I'm really not keen on it. I took it out, left it a few months and got it re-pierced. It was positively angelic, felt healed by 4 weeks, I didn't do a thing to it, rinse in the shower, occasional wipe with a cotton bud for softened crusties and it's now fine.

Bodies are weird. My philtrum (one that most people heal fine) has been having a b*tch fit for the past 2 weeks, it's driving me mad but I must be patient!! What Neometal end did you go for? I recently saved up and got some 14k gold/white opal ends for mine as a birthday pressie to myself
    Hazel, I don't know what I wouldn't have done if I didn't have this forum to come to. You all have been so helpful throughout this process! And yes, bodies are super weird! You never know what kind of rebellion they will be in from one moment to the next.

I just went for a 1.5 mm cubic zirc. I'm an April baby and I love diamonds. My piercer had the opal and it is beautiful! Neometal's jewelry is so awesome!

I think I am done with piercings and tats for the summer. I thought about getting my lobe pierced. I've always wanted double piercings, but I was never allowed to when I was growing up. When I got older, I just didn't have time and didn't care. I don't think I'm brave enough to go through another cartilage piercing again. But, I'll see how I feel next summer. I would like to get my tragus pierced though.

I'm sort of dumb about these things, but what is your philtrum?
    Hi, I'm Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by teb1976 View Post
    ....what is your philtrum?
    The philtrum is the groove from the underneath of your nose to the middle of your top lip. This is my philtrum piercing:

Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Oh Hazel. That's pretty!
    Hi, I'm Tracy

Thanks sweetie
    Last edited by Boo; 07-18-2016 at 10:49 PM.